cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It's Been a Week

Ana19
0 10 0

It's been 8 days since my last cigarette.  I just can't help but think of smoking ALL THE TIME!!  I heard the cravings should last only a few minutes, but that's not happening for me.  From the time I wake up 'til I go to bed, smoking is constantly on my mind.  Is this normal?  When will this constant craving go away?  I've been really good - not even a puff!  Yesterday the craving was really bad.  I know to keep busy, but I can't always do that because of health reasons.  Please tell me something good.  Thanks, everyone!

10 Comments
klv

Here is the good- It WiLL get better, I promise. Slowly cigs will be less on your mind (memories) and the craves will be fewer and far between. You are in the process of re-learning life without your loyal, consistent friend. It takes time.Continue your journey one day at a time you are soooo worth the effort!

You should be feeling better and you have saved some $$. For most folks the 1st 2-3 weeks is the toughest. It took me that long for sure. Just keep coming here to blog, read and comment. It is really helpful at the beginning. 

8 days is awesome!  I know its difficult but you doing great. Practice the law of distraction. Its the best decison you could have made for yourself. 

smoke-free KLV d79

cheyenne7

I've had quits like that...I can only urge you to stick to your quit...

If you smoke, you will definitely regret it...I know because I've been there...

Then you would have to start over...it's not worth smoking over...please stick with your quit...You are doing it!!! You are doing GREAT!!!

Have faith...if you stick to your quit, these urges will disappear...I feel for you, I understand...I'm going thru this myself today...it happens, the urges will go thou as long as we don't smoke...they will have no choice, but to leave...and you'll be soooo proud!!

I don't know what readings you have done...but maybe reread allen carr and such...

Can you do a puzzle?  Suck on lemons, ice cubes, candy? If you can't stay busy, can you nap? Dive deep into a novel? Organize the sock drawer?

Let us know how it's going...we will get thru this!!!

ninepatch

Every time the thought comes into your head you need to tell yourself you don't do that anymore.  Make sure everytime it comes into your head you are not giving to thought power by making negative statements like "i miss them" 

Stay positive.  Smoking Sucks.  Smoking is killing me.  I don't smoke anymore.  Keep these positive thoughts about quitting close to you at all times. 

Don't romance that cig.

You can do this!

8 days is great!!!  Keep the faith and push through!  NOPE!

linda258

And you will continue to be good..... go back read, reserch reveiw the reasons why you quit..... understand you are an addict and you are looking for any excuse to smoke.. STOP....  it will get better... and the only way it will stay better is if you quit and get that over with.....

Congrats on 8 days ... now keep going.. one day at a time..

LouiseR

Change your thinking.  Do not romance the cigarette.  You quit for a reason, because you hated smoking.  You are not a smoker!!

JonesCarpeDiem

don't sit back and get slammed

start talking to yourself

i don't do that anymore. i don't do that anymore. i don't do that anymore.

say it over and over again.

you are still letting it have it's way with you. stop letting it control your thoughts.

take control

Ana19

All your comments are right on!  I have been talking to myself, chasing after my 2 year-old grandson, going for walks, crossword puzzles, chewing gum, etc.  Thank you all so much for the positive feedback.  I am so grateful for all of you!

joyeuxencore

You are a whole week nicotine free Ana...At this point you have clesred it pretty well and the receptors are shutting down in your brain. The LAST thing you want are to wake them up!!!!

My first mentor here posted this to me and it helped a lot:

“We use these coping techniques and remember don't give in no matter what! The only way to feel better is get the nicotine out of your body and mind!

Remember NOPE Not One Puff Ever...With this ONE SIMPLE rule, you can do it....it the meantime, drink plenty of fresh cold water to rid your body of the toxins and eat  smaller nutritious meals throughout the day to keep your blood-sugar levels steady...eating smaller continuous meals helps keep  low blood sugar induced fogginess and cravings away.

Take big arm STRETCHES often to relax tense muscles and most importantly, take big DEEP BREATHS TO RELAX AND RELIEVE anger or stress... take a nap, take walks, stay busy with something you LIKE and brush your teeth after each meal...stick your head in the freezer and DEEP BREATHE....Biting into a lemon is a great instant crave buster…try it, it works…also have a ‘quit kit’ with things like cinnamon sticks to chew on, hard candy, crunchy vegies…

Be prepared in advance for cravings…acknowledge them and tell yourself “I don’t DO that anymore so what do I DO instead?” Then employ any of the distraction techniques…Be Prepared NOT surprised!!! Smoking thoughts only have power when you have fear. Face them head on…You have the strength and power to tell them NO...You have the CHOICE to tell them NO. Each time you get a smoking urge, immediately DISTRACT yourself and kick the thought out of your head.

I added:

I did jumping jacks until I got so winded I could no longer even THINK about smoking…I beat up pillows and cried…Do whatever it takes but DO NOT GIVE IN… Each time you do that you get stronger! “

Remember your lifelines here:   

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/pir8fan-blog/2013/01/15/key-to-freedom-remember-your-lifeli...

Ana19

Thank you -- I really needed that.

Barbara145

Hi Ana.  It will get better.  I have been where you are.  When I was feeling like you are describing, I was telling myself I want to smoke.  When I stopped telling myself I wanted to smoke it got better.  Thinking of you.

About the Author
I live with my husband, daughter, her husband, and two grandsons which make my life very busy. Since I'm disabled, I volunteer by coordinating a student program at a local hospital. I have smoked for over 40 years.