cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It is always the one...

connect2amy
3 11 7

I picked a terrible time to quit. Truthfully, there is never a good time. Life is never easy, at least not for long periods of time. I'm 3.5 days quit and this is my umpteenth attempt at quitting. The shortest was six hours, the longest, six months. After a terribly difficult day I saw a friend and fellow smoker. We were chatting on her porch like countless other nights and I picked up one of her Parliaments. I felt the recessed filter between my lips and paused for a moment. I didn't really want it. I resisted habit and muscle memory, removed the cigarette from my lips and placed it back in her pack. I sat there for an hour and a half while she chain smoked, engrossed in our conversation, and I was okay. It didn't hit me until just now how important that small gesture was for me. It is always the "one cigarette" that pulls me back in after hundreds of dollars on nicotine replacement, counseling, hypnosis and months of diligent abstinence. Not today. 

11 Comments
TerrieQuit

Congratulations on your 3.5 days of quit. A very very good job of resisting and that will just add to your strength! WTG!

Terrie  86  DOF

Puff-TM-Draggin

In high school, I knew a girl who got pregnant doing just that sort of thing.

; )

Deena-A-Yenni

Kudos to you!!!

Barbara145

By jove I think you got it! Awesome,kudos!  You are doing this!  Carry on!

Barbara145

@puff.  You are funny.  I love it!

Junior7

Whew!  That was a close one!  Great job keeping your quit!

Jennifer-Quit

No such thing as just one - they travel in packs!  Good job!

sparky26

And a parliament !!!! EwE !!! LoL sorry .

Congrats on your commitment to stay quit ! Way to go !! Woot woot ! 

Sootie

Truthfully-----there is never a BAD day to quit smoking.

And there is never a GOOD reason to keep smoking.

Stay Strong.

Giulia

Ah so close but you had a moment of "thinking" before acting.  Good for you. 

connect2amy

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Honestly, it feels pretty lonely sometimes. All my non-smoker friends and family just don't get it. They are thrilled of course that I quit and know it's hard, but unless you've smoked a pack a day for ten years (let's be real, if you've smoked at all!) you don't know just how hard! It's nice to be on here where people really understand what it took to put that cigarette down. I've never done that before and I am glad I can share that with people who understand. 🙂