cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It has been 72 hours...when I tell non smokers that they look at me strangely

jstanek1967
0 9 25

Okay, went to work today.  A little scared.  I was okay driving because I never smoke in my car.  Got to work and told my assistant Barb.  She looked at me a little strange (she's a non smoker) and when i made full eye contact with her, she "pretended" to be impressed.  She said "that's great!"  I then got on the phone to talk to a girlfriend who hasn't smoked in 10 years.  She was as bad as Barb.  I then called John who works in my other store.  He is a seriously heavy smoker.  I told him.  He let out a scream...."Good JOB!  That is awesome!  Good for you!"  Non smokers just don't get it.  Even ex smokers who haven't smoked in a LOOONNNG time refuse to admit they ever smoked.  So annoying.

I ate all day.  A sales rep brought us in a large bag of Cherry Nibs.  I hate 1/2 the bag.  I ate my baggie full of sunflower seeds.  I hate the 2 chocolate brownies, the banana.  I drank green tea.  I ate my goldfish crackers.  and then moved on to some more licorice.  I tried the carrot sticks, but I thought I was going to choke.  I came home and my husband had made a frozen pizza for a snack, and I ended up eating 4 pieces. I am so full of junk, and my body is craving healthy food.  Maybe I will broil some cod in lots of lemon butter.  I feel like a serious mental case. 

This day, Day three has been the toughest so far.  I almost lit a nice long butt that is in an ashtray in the garage.   

I told him about my splurging on food, and he told me to stop or I would blow up like a blimp.  I just wanted to smoke, smoke, smoke at that point.  How come I eat really healthy when I smoke?  but I couldn't get enough  junk in me today. 

9 Comments
suzyq4

OOOOO...cherry nibs?!?!? Yummy! Just want to say congrats on making it this far and not giving in to the demon. Your diet probably is saying something else but you can deal with that later when you have a much more healthy heart and lungs. This is the final day of your body getting the nicotine out. Kinda turns you into a sugar junkie doesn't it? It happened to me too but that will tone down now as you move into the psych stage of your withdrawals. Have you been doing any reading on your addiction? Educating yourself on nicotine addiction is a very powerful tool to have. You will be better able to handle the inner voice that's going to pop into your head more often over the next 3 weeks. Go to the lobster guy's (hwc) page. He just wrote a blog here so click on his pic. He has got links set up to a wealth of good information. Again...WOOOOHOOOO  WAY TO GO    KEEP IT UP and every other encouraging words that most of the people in your office failed to come up with!

cathi4

Check out www.whyquit.com for the full explanation of why the blood sugar fix becomes unregulated when you stop smoking. It also lets out the demons on your emotions that make you feel so sensitive to the fact that everyone should bow down when what they really think is "I thought you were so smart but how could you be so stupid to smoke then want pats on the back for stopping"! Sorry but this is what they all (non smokers) think about us. I kinda think that about myself now also. I am embarassed that I took myself into such a dangerous and addictive process now wanting some kudos from these morons for my tough time stopping. It suffices to say...come here for your support. We know the ball breaking effort it takes to stay an addict with no smoking!

The food thing levels off before you become the Hindenburg. You can do this. You deserve this and so much more! I am proud of you for your quit. Now protect it like it was worth your life and know that this is your job! Look forward to more quit blogs!

Kinterralynn

I think your body is just trying to compensate for the loss of the nicotine, don't worry, the sugar cravings do ease up and believe it or not, junk food doesn't taste near as good as it once did.  With our renewed sense of smell, comes the renewed sense of taste and I seriously think we are more sensitive to the tastes in food because we've been numbed to it for so long and its like tasting something for the first time ever.  

I used hard candies to help with the sugar cravings, they're about 20 calories each and much better than everything else I was wanting to scarf, LOL!   

Non-smokers just don't get how exciting it is to reach 72 hours without nicotine because they've never battled the addiction.  Ex smokers tend to block it out, I guess, but seriously, I haven't met any ex-smokers that are not enthusiastic about my success, perhaps you've just got one that is a bit on the self-absorbed side?  LOL..

Great job on the 72 hours!!!

suzieq2

Congratulations!  WooHoo ! Yipeeee! Wow!  I totally agree with everyone else, don't worry about the other peoples opinions, your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters!  Don't worry  about the food thing either, it does level off, give it time, & give yourself a break too, take a walk or a nice long bubblebath.                          

Do check out the    WHYQUIT     website, the info is awesome!  (you can google it too)

Stay Strong - the new feelings, smells & tastes & all the other stuff are worth  the fight!

Looking forward to hearing more soon - SOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Susie

sedwards

72 HOURS IS GREAT............WAY TO GO!!!  Stay strong and remember we are all so proud of you!!

Debi12

You can do it!!   Big cheers for your three days,,,,,,,,,,,one day at a time!!!!!

Yaya2.6.10
You know how hard this is and how awesome it is that you have made it this far. You don't need to stress about the folks who don't get it. You and the rest of us on the site get it and we are here. As you continue, you will find friends that support you and ignore the others. I realize that when I get mad at someone it is my brain's tricky way of getting me to stress and have an "excuse" to smoke. Don't let that happen. My husband has said some damn fool things too and I've called him on them. He is supportive and didn't realize he was pushing buttons. I made it jokey and he hasn't repeated those that I've mentioned to him. I also realize that I am much too sensitive and emotional right now and need to cut those around me some slack for putting up with me.
erin41

Yay...congratulations! 72 hours is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself! Keep up the good work! Don't forget to reward yourself for your successes. You deserve to be pampered a bit. I found the munchies really got me after the first couple of days but then I started to crave my regular eating habits and routines.

hellomimosa

I completely understand! I just passed the 72-hour mark myself and it seems so insignificant to other people because they don't understand what you have to overcome. Awesome job, though! YAY! 

Instead of eating, trying putting on chapstick and/or singing. It keeps my mouth and hands busy and it always changes my mood.