cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It can get you anywhere, doo dah doo dah I don't think I want it there, there or anywhere

JonesCarpeDiem
3 4 146

Never smoke again, smokings not my friend

Leads us down a road of lies

to a horrible end.

he-infographic-2020.gif

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and affects a person’s overall health.

• Smoking can make it harder for a woman to become pregnant. It can also affect her baby’s health before and after birth. Smoking increases risks for.

• Preterm (early) delivery

• Stillbirth (death of the baby before birth)

• Low birth weight

• Sudden infant death syndrome (known as SIDS or crib death)

• Ectopic pregnancy

• Orofacial clefts in infants

• Smoking can also affect men’s sperm, which can reduce fertility and also increase risks for birth defects and miscarriage.

• Smoking can affect bone health.

• Women past childbearing years who smoke have weaker bones than women who never smoked. They are also at greater risk for broken bones.

• Smoking affects the health of your teeth and gums and can cause tooth loss.

• Smoking can increase your risk for cataracts (clouding of the eye’s lens that makes it hard for you to see). It can also cause age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD is damage to a small spot near the center of the retina, the part of the eye needed for central vision.

• Smoking is a cause of type 2 diabetes mellitus and can make it harder to control. The risk of developing diabetes is 30–40% higher for active smokers than nonsmokers.

• Smoking causes general adverse effects on the body, including inflammation and decreased immune function.

• Smoking is a cause of rheumatoid arthritis.

4 Comments
About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.