cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Insomnia

mpnaegle
0 11 207

I can’t sleep.  Too much going on in my head, the chimps are debating.  I’ve had too much free time on my hands lately too.  But I’m not smoking, thank the gods and goddesses.  Just general unemployment angst.  It’ll pass.  I hope I can get back to a “normal” sleep pattern soon.  No man’s land feels like a lonely place sometimes too.  I mean here on the site there is tons of support but in the real world...I don’t have much.  Most people close to me didn’t know I smoked so they have no idea that I quit.  I’m grateful for this site, because you all have either been where I am or soon will be.     Kindred spirits in this journey.  

Hopefully the chimps have stopped debating and I can reclaim some sleep.  Thanks for listening and for being here.  I’ll try to write more later at a more godly time lol.  

11 Comments
awken

sorry you are not sleeping well , it is understandable to have a lot on your mind under the circumstances , have you tried Melatonin , I used the gummy bears and it helped .

mpnaegle

I’m going to get some later on...I will try the gummies.  Nice to hear from you (((((Awken))))).  

SimplySheri

I get insomnia when I worry about money.  Like being awake will make things all better, right ?   I use it as an opportunity to remind myself that life is about life, not about finances.  I'm grateful for so much so I count my blessings instead of sheep (I think that's a song!). 

I'm so happy you quit smoking!  I'm even happier for you that you continue your quit while you go through tough times.  Yay!!  Hoping that you find employment soon and that you're job be everything you want it to be!!

Sheri

Lisaml

Sending you a big hug and just a little sandman sand...

theres nothing worse than insomnia. (Ok there are plenty of things worse, but not right now...)-))))

It’s frustrating, sad, and confusing, but you will get through this, friend. And it would be awesome to do so with your quit intact!!! Xoxo 

mpnaegle

Thank you Sheri.  Yes I was stressing about finances too...oh God I hate being poor lol.  And you’re right, torturing myself with no sleep is not going to change anything.  I’ll find a job soon.  I just have to keep the faith and keep on this quit.   

mpnaegle

Thanks Lisa!!!!!  Yeah this is a hard road I’ve been on but I’m staying strong and will not go back to smoking.  Life will work out.  Just have to let go of the things I can’t control (ie unemployment, finances) and focus on the things I can control and on the good things in life.  I’ve given up the idea of sleeping tonight.  Thankfully I have a quiet day ahead so I’ll stay busy, keep looking for jobs and rest sometime in there.  Sending you hugs and smiles.  Thanks for sending the sandman.  He came but quickly left lol.  

JACKIE1-25-15

Insomnia can be difficult. Fortunately, I did not have to get up and go to work the next day.  I did try to make the best use of my time by getting up and reorganizing things. That made me forget that I could not go to sleep.  Eventually, insomnia stopped but I had made up my mind no matter what if it was what I had to go through so be it.  I think I took a sleep aid once.  I took naps during the daytime. When you fall asleep it will be great.  Look forward to that day.  Stay close. 

mpnaegle

Thank you Jackie.  I’ve been using sleep aids but I think I’m going to try to push through the day, maybe get some melatonin and hopefully crash later on.  Yeah I’ve been prone to insomnia for the last few years...and my current unemployment situation is not helping but I’ll make it.  And I’ll stay quit.   

elvan

Sorry about the insomnia...I deal with it when I know I have something that I need to do or I am worried about finances and how I am going to get through the NEXT round of bills.  If I take benadryl, it usually knocks me out and I sleep.  Unfortunately, if I wake up for some reason, that's a killer because getting BACK to sleep is not easy.  If it's not a ridiculous hour, I stay awake and plan for a nap later OR just to keep going, it's possible...just don't operate heavy machinery.

You are doing such a great job...how is the writing coming along?  Maybe, when you can't sleep, you could write and feel like you are accomplishing something.

Great...now, I am yawning thinking about insomnia.

Hugs,

Ellen

mpnaegle

Yes, it’s been happening a lot lately as my finances are weighing on my mind as well as not having a job...but I’m going to keep the faith and will stay strong in my quit.  I’m going to try melatonin...I used to take it when I was in college and it helped me sleep.  I’ve done Benadryl before too.  I know it’ll pass and eventually I’ll have a job again.  But the uncertainty of all of it is really testing me.  Plus being in no mans land with all of this doubt hanging over my head is causing anxiety.  But I’ll keep pushing through.  And yes I actually started writing again yesterday, was going to try during the night but I was crippled with so much doubt.  I’ll keep plugging away.  Hugs to you Ellen!!!!   

elvan

Write what you are feeling, Mark...it just might bring things into the light.  I KNOW you can do this...yes, NML and no job are challenging...but you have GOT this.  Write about Italy, write about your dream job...make your writing a journal and keep it so you can look at it later, I think you will find it very interesting.

Hugs and more hugs,

Ellen

About the Author
I have smoked on and off (mostly on) for the last twenty years...quit in 2010 and was successful for 3 1/2 years. Then my husband died in January 2014, so I caved and started up again...now, over 7 years later, I want to be done for good!!!! This quit is IT.