cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Insert witty title

Babylon_5
1 2 96

It is a strange thing to aim for death 10 years into the future, but less so when you read the average dialysis patient lives 5-10 years. 5 or 10 years - pick your poison, as I will be shortly. Death at 50 sounds much more pleasant than death at 45. If I am to die younger than I'd like due to my failing kidneys, I'd like to spite God just a little longer than 5 years. Let's make it 10.

That's why I'm quitting smoking. Dialysis is hard on the heart, they say. The most common cause of death on dialysis is hyperkalemia, a heart attack brought on due to fatally high potassium levels. It's not the dialysis that will kill you, it's your weakened and overtaxed heart. A heart I've ravaged throughout the years, both physically and emotionally.

So let's give ourselves a running chance at 10 years by giving up the cigarettes. What's the worst that can happen, if the alternative is death anyways?

2 Comments
About the Author
I like puns, cats, sci-fi and snarky humor. I have a low-brow sense of humor and a high-brow set of eyeliners. Web 2.0 is dead and I'm too old for Tik Tok.