cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

In the ER, not the way I wanted this night to go

mpnaegle
1 43 513

Ok...so my coughing has gotten progressively worse.  I was going to go to an urgent care tonight, but they’re closed.  So I came to the emergency room.  I’m scared, I don’t want this cold or flu to get any worse.  They’re going to run some tests, chest x-ray, not sure what else.  I feel horrible, physically and emotionally I’m scared right now.  I hope a bed opens up soon and I can get these tests done.  I am not going to smoke.  Breathing is way more important to me right now.  My health is more important to me.  It’s the most important thing.  I just need to find out what is going on.  I’m in one of the best hospitals in the world, Cedars-Sinai here in LA.  Being here is bringing back a lot of painful memories.  My partner died in this hospital 5 years ago.  There are a million people in this waiting room.  I’m probably going to be here all night.  Anyway I just wanted to reach out.  Hugs for now, Mark

43 Comments
RachelMB

Oh Mark!  I sure hope you are feeling better by now.  Keep us posted.  Thinking about you! xoxoxo

Rachel

TW517

Oh no!  Nothing worse than waiting all night in a hospital for someone to see you.  Let us know what they find when you can.

JACKIE1-25-15

I am so sorry this going on so early in your quit.  I hope you get better.  Keep us updated. Thanks for letting us know. 

Mandolinrain

Oh no Mark, sending you prayers and hopes that you will make a full recovery soon! I am glad you went ahead and went to the ER since the URGENT CARE  was closed. Keep us updated please

MarilynH

Sending up good thoughts and prayers for you Mark!!!!!!

Deena-A-Yenni

You did the best thing in going in and conquering your fears too.  PLEASE get back to us soon.  Smoking is not required.

Christine13

Praying all goes well Mark.  Keep us posted.

Daniela2016

Hi Mark, 

I hope you've got in by now, and the testing started, and they gave you something for the terrible cough.

I wish I could be there with you to help you getting through the emotional side of this.

Please let us know what the Dr said, prayers and hugs for you, 

Daniela

Mike.n.Atlanta

Take care of yourself Mark. You're the only one we have.

M n @ Signature 002-5.JPG

YoungAtHeart

Hoping for word this morning!

Also hoping that you are home and at rest.

I know you will be in touch when you can.

Nancy

sweetplt

Oh Mark sending healing prayers and thoughts your way...actually you are in a good place for Doctors to find out what’s wrong and get you on medicine in order to heal...God Bless you hon...let us know when you can how you are doing...try and rest ... ~ no bad thoughts ~ Colleen 142 DOF 

mpnaegle

Thank you everyone.  Chest X-ray results were fine.  I have a bad upper respiratory infection, they sent me home around 3 AM,  I’m staying home, resting and taking OTC meds here.  Not going to work today.  I need to see my doctor asap.  Today it’s me and my dog, tv and rest.  Thank you for the love and support everyone.  Smoking is the furthest thing from my mind because my lungs hurt so much.  Hopefully I’ll be back up and running soon.  XO

jonimarie

Late in getting to this. Glad it had a good ending. I had the Pneumonia last November as a result of not slowing down and taking care of myself (needless to say was smoking than which sure was a major contribution)

Rest Rest Rest so it does not turn into pneumonia

RachelMB

Mark-

So glad you are home and resting.  Feel better soon. xoxoxo

Rachel

elvan

Mark,

JUST saw this, I am so sorry that you had such a miserable night in the ER and that you have such painful memories of the hospital.  I am so glad that you went and that the chest xray was clear.  You do need to see your doctor and be sure that you are improving.  Sending my biggest healing hugs your way.  (((((MARK)))))

XOXO,

Ellen

indingrl

Awe hope you get well soon Mark -  just sharing MY experience suggested to ME YEARS ago to HELP me stay in the present day - the Serenity Prayer - it did HELP ME years ago and HELPS ME - today - it was SUGGESTED -  I say it over and over until I am  calm and then I choose to be still and breathe - the prayer - God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference - so glad your HOME - Yahoooooo- gentle hug.

DonnaMarie

You and your dog - can't ask for much more than that. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better and are on the mend. Hospitals are no way to spend your time.

Donna

mpnaegle

Thanks indngirl.  Yes, I’ve been saying the serenity prayer every night when I go to bed.  It really does help.  Hugs to you.  

mpnaegle

Yes, my dog is amazing Company.  He won’t leave my side today.  It’s depressing to feel so sick, but having him here makes it a lot more bearable.  Hugs to you.  

mpnaegle

Yes, I’m staying in bed, doped up on mucinex.  If I don’t feel better tomorrow I’m going to go to urgent care.  I hope this passes.

mpnaegle

Thank you Rachel.  I feel a little better now that I’ve had some good rest.  Hugs to you.

mpnaegle

Thank you (((((Ellen))))).  Yeah it was not a good experience but thankfully the X-rays were fine and I was able to stay home today.  I am going to urgent care soon.  XO

indingrl

Awe I am so glad - prayers lifted for you Mark -  my beloved brother - speedy recovery in MY Lord Jesus name amen- so very very glad you out of hospital! 

Sootie

I missed your whole "adventure" last night Mark and only got here for the good news that you are home . THANK GOODNESS! Rest and get well. We are here for you.

Barbscloud

Glad your home and resting Mark. 

Barb

mpnaegle

Thank you Sootie.  I feel much better this morning. Well enough to go back to work thank God.  And thank God for this website!  The support and love I’ve found from people here like you is amazing.  Hugs, Mark

mpnaegle

Thank you (((((Barbscloud))))!!!  Feeling good today. Thank God!!!  Hugs, Mark

Daniela2016

So glad to hear you are feeling better today!!!

All the prayers helped...

Image result for emoji prayer

Giulia

I haven't been on the site much the past couple of days so missed this.  Glad you're home and feeling somewhat better.  Hope you can get something to knock that infection out of you soon!  Rest is the best script!  

Deena-A-Yenni

Just coming on board for the day.  How are you feeling now that you've rested for the day or have we not heard from you because you've gone to Urgent Care.  Sign in as soon as you can please.   Sending a cyber can of Chicken Noodle Soup.

DonnaMarie

Oooh, this is a good thing to read. I was just stopping by to see how you were feeling.

Donna

mpnaegle

I’m doing ok.  Still coughing but not as much and I’m overall feeling much better.  I can’t believe they just sent me home the other night with no meds, and very little follow up.  I just did a survey to rate my visit and I wasn’t very kind.  But it’s over and I’m home and back to work.  And I’m now 17 days smoke-free!  Good night and hugs to everyone.  

Legend

I just saw this post I do hope you continue to feel better. It’s great you are still smoke free that will help you to get better faster. I think they could have given you something for your cough at least it’s horrible when you can’t stop coughing. I will say a prayer for you to get better soon. I hope you have a nice day. 

Grammy25

I hope it isn’t anything serious, you get the help you need, and you get better soon               

Daniela2016

Congrats on 17 days, wonderful that you are feeling better, as for the health system care for the patient, don't even get me started

mpnaegle

Thanks (((((Daniela))))).  Yeah modern healthcare is a joke.  But I am doing better and I’m definitely not going back to smoking.  And thank God it’s Friday!!!!  Hope you’re having a good day.

Kkplayhouse

Hoping and praying all is well Mark. The coughing may just be due to your lungs healing. Keep us posted.

mpnaegle

Thanks Kkplayhouse.  It turns out it was an upper respiratory infection but it’s clearing out.  Thank God nothing worse.  I’m gonna get plenty of rest this weekend.  XO

elvan

mpnaegle‌ When I saw that you commented on this, I was afraid you ended up BACK in the ER.  Glad you are getting better.

Hugs,

Ellen

mpnaegle

Yes doing better.  My lungs are clearing out all the grossness but I’m taking it easy, working and resting tonight.  Thanks for looking out for me (((((Ellen))))).  

elvan

You are welcome....keep drinking those fluids and get the rest you need.

(((((Mark)))))

Ellen

Tommym

This past January I went through the same. All my healthcare comes from the VA and it was a weekend. I could have driven over an hour away to the VA medical center but didn’t have the strength to do it. 

I have copd so I was really scared. Monday morning I pleaded for an appointment and got to see one of the docs at the clinic. He have me a Z Pack and told me to alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen. Within three days I was feeling so much better. I was also able to start exercising again. I’m 72 and May 1st will be three years. No matter how long you’ve smoked and when and if you quit there is so much help and your quality of life will surprise you how quickly our bodies will heal if we do the right thing. The kid from Jersey 

elvan

Tommym‌ Glad you are feeling better!

About the Author
I have smoked on and off (mostly on) for the last twenty years...quit in 2010 and was successful for 3 1/2 years. Then my husband died in January 2014, so I caved and started up again...now, over 7 years later, I want to be done for good!!!! This quit is IT.