cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Im New!

rach81
0 16 177

I have attempted to quit several times before and have yet to beat this horrible addiction. I'm a 31 year old wife and mother of two beautiful girls ages 6 and 12. I have been smoking a pack a day since I was 16 years old and have recognized the damage I continually cause my body on a daily basis. I have been preparing for this day for a few weeks now and just smoked my last cigarette 20 minutes ago. I will not buy anymore and am finished with this disgusting habit. I am tired of being a slave to cigarettes, I am tired of smoking gauging my every move in life, I'm tired of the way I feel unhealthy, stinky, and exhausted. My kids beg me to stop and with Christmas coming up I have been thinking about them and what they have been saying to me for years a lot lately. The best gift I can give them and myself is to quit not only for my health, but because their words, health, and me being around for them SHOULD MATTER to me. Cancer is afflicting people younger and younger these days and I am terrified with my family history that if I don't stop now it's going to get me too. I have done this before, and remember the things that worked for me before and know the triggers I will face daily. The first two weeks is hard and I am aware of what I need to do to prevent relapse.  I haven't drank alcohol in a few months which happens to be trigger #1 for me (caused my last relapse), #2 is stress- home, life, and college. #3 smelling it or being around smokers. I am determined this time to be stronger than this addiction and I will. I really want to know why smoking is legal? It's a slow killer and the most addictive drug I have ever faced ( I have beat drug addiction in the past also). Im glad I have an amazing support system at home and will rely on these community pages to get me through. Cravings are only temporary- breathing, gum, healthy snacks, exercise, juice/water, brushing my teeth with some cravings, all helped me the last time and I plan on doing the same things. Difference is I will reach out for a broader support system and learn new ways to beat this from people on these websites. I will also utilize yoga and meditation for my stress levels...and never let myself think that having one is ok. Im starting my quit cold turkey again but have the lowest dose nicotine gum here for the really tough cravings. I am not going to become reliant on the gum, I want to completely get rid of the drug that has kept me hooked for so long.

-Rachel A.

16 Comments