cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

If you won't let us help carry you through, Let us DRAG YOU THROUGH

JonesCarpeDiem
1 15 47

All we ask is that you be willing to commit to getting through the initial rough times. (4+ months)

After that, time will make it easier and easier to disconnect from the occasional thought of smoking.

We see when people disappear.

We will try to send you a message and get you back on your quit but ultimately your quit is your responsibility.

15 Comments
Puff-TM-Draggin

Hey Big Brother ... I am in compliance.

But thanks for keeping an eye on me.  = )~

HEAVE HO!

Giulia

gjserifos
Hi... Im jeanne 25... I smoke for about 5 years a packet per day (and sometimes more)... I cant quit because i have very strong quitting symtoms (high heart rate... Dizzyness... A feeling that i ve got lost... High stress levels that make me feel useless) .. I ve tried to quit a lot of times without any resault... Tried with gums that made me sick and spray that caused panic crisis... I need help from people who completely understand me... My family doesnt help at all... My huspand is a passionate smoker since he was 15... Please help me to quit... I dont wanna feel like this when i dont smoke... I dont wanna live this life anymore...
JonesCarpeDiem

Hi,

Smoking causes a high heart rate and the stress you try to alleviate by smoking.

The strees is your body telling you you need to smoke because your nicotine level is slipping to an uncomfortable place. That's why we smoke. The nicotine is what keeps us coming back.

Once you stop smoking or ingesting nicotine some other way, the nicotine is out of your body in 72 hours.

You then have 2-3 weeks of being uncomfortable with different symptoms for each but most of them end within a month.

It is that the end of the first month's time people get complacent, thinking they've beat it but during the next 3 1/2 months is when most slip back into smoking.

You have to unlearn smoking.

gjserifos
I know that... But l think that you havent understood what i was talking about... Quittin symtoms are very strong... I have high heart rate and generally feel sick when i havent smoked for a day... The next day is always gettin worse... I cant get up from a bed... I am falling o the floor from the dizzyness... Generally i feel like a drug user that havent taken his dose and feeling like this... That makes me runnin scramin that i need now a cigarret... I dont wanna tell you how i feel psychological and oraganical when i am lightin that cigarret... Dizzyness with vomet much more higher heart rate and when i ve done it i need one more cigarret to feel ok again... I completely suffer... I think that i need medical help... Dont you think the same???
JonesCarpeDiem

I think I can bring on a panic attack if I dwell on something negative for too long and mentally give myself no hope pf getting out of it. That will raise my heartrate, make me break out in a cold sweat and, put my body into fight or flight mode. Do you believe that can happen?

That being said, what do you believe a doctor can do to help you?

You might get an anti anxiety drug. Or, a drug for depression.

You may need to stay on a low dose of nicotine the rest of your life.

I don't know your body's mechanics, chemical balance or imbalance or your mental state.

If you think a doctor could help and you have the access to go that route, I certainly would not discourage it.

gjserifos
What do you think of barenicline pills?? Yes im taking anti anxiety pills with no resaults... I dont know if that you are talking about panic if happenin in unconsiously way.. And no i dont wanna take low nicotine medicine or something like that... I wanna get over with that habbit... I ve said doctor if there is a scription with some kind of medicine that might work... I really feel inside me that eerything wants to over this game... When i light up a cigarret everything are saying by their way to put it off but i cant... What is happening to me??? I feel that im gettin mad or something like that
JonesCarpeDiem

I think you are speaking of Chantix? Some people here have had success with it. Perhaps they will come along and give their opinion. I've heard they affect different people differently. Some have mood swings, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

Adverse effects

Nausea occurs commonly in people taking varenicline. Other less common side effects include headache, difficulty sleeping, and abnormal dreams. Rare side effects reported by people taking varenicline compared to placebo include change in taste, vomiting, abdominal pain, flatulence, and constipation. In a recent meta-analysis paper by Leung et al., it has been estimated that for every five subjects taking varenicline at maintenance doses, there will be an event of nausea, and for every 24 and 35 treated subjects, there will be an event of constipation and flatulence respectively. Gastrointestinal side-effects lead to discontinuation of the drug in 2% to 8% of people using varenicline.[8][9] Incidence of nausea is dose-dependent: incidence of nausea was higher in people taking a larger dose (30%) versus placebo (10%) as compared to people taking a smaller dose (16%) versus placebo (11%).[10]

You don't have to want to quit. You do have to decide to quit and be willing to quit.

It sounds like you are tired of smoking.

To quit to have to take control away from smoking and put in the time unlearning the memory and emotion driven addiction which is very different from the physical addiction.

gjserifos
Yes... I ve got really tired of smoking and the all the smoking is said that causing... I really cant stand the smell in my house anymore... But i ve got these terrible symtoms... That means that i ve got strongly addicted to smoke... Am i wrong?? I ve got a strong will but when the symtoms are getting worse and i cant get up i am felling that im losing the game... When i completely lose it in the effort... Im tryin more and more... But i feel its stronger from my will...
JonesCarpeDiem

You say you can't get up. Does that mean you physically cannot stand up and move?

Or is it due to you believing that you can't get up?

If it is not a physical impairment, get up and go for a walk.

When you get the urge to smoke say this out loud. "I don't do that anymore" Say it every time.

Nothing forces you to smoke except you.

Try these two simple things and let us know your progress.

kristen-9-7-15

I'm still here dale!

NewMe

Haven't been blogging, but I'm still slogging thru NML! = )

summer-07-06-15

I like to know that some one keeps out for me.

bonniebee

If I ever got lost I am glad you are here to reach out a hand !

BUT I have no plan of getting "lost " out there !

freeneasy

This is THE Place

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.