cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

If it seems like you have tried to quit 1000 times, what has kept you from succeeding?

JonesCarpeDiem
0 10 27

Obviously you are DOING IT WRONG.

And every time you fail you shoot yourself in the faith yet one more time.

What I see is you have now conditioned yourself to fail.

So do you really want to quit?

You come here and profess your desire and yet you are smoking the next day.

When is something going to change where you actually believe what you say?

That's what it's going to take. Lip service isn't helping you. Get some cajones and stop making excuses.

10 Comments
ginger34

Hey Buddy I set my quit date already. Do you want to fight?LOL

owlfeather

Cojones, education and commitment......Maybe zip the lips and listen too....

JonesCarpeDiem

i don't fight anyone who is within 2 badges of my expertise.
LOL

ginger34

Come on that Nicodemon is whispering in my ear 🙂 But honestly I would say this time it is the help of a smoking cessation aide, admitting gee willpower is not going to do it for me, learning my triggers, preparation and of course this group 🙂

butt-kicker

For me it was always that little monster deep inside, clawing to get out,,dictating my every thought. Asking me how am I going to live without him? (guilt trips) 

Grabbing me when I was at my lowest point, in deepest times of despair and lonliness,,pretending to be my best friend 😞 

The good news is, I chose to live without the bum. Kicked his ash to the curb!! 

My journey here has been a long one, with several trips on my face, but I got back up and that's where I'm at now! Smoke free for 29 Days and counting!

finallyfree2

I'm back, I just signed on and realized it was 288 days from the last time I tried to stop smoking.  I am back with a vengence now. I just had a health issue and was spitting up blood. Thank God it wasn't worse and no major damage. But I cannot smoke again. After all of of my quits this time I feel really good about it. I have one week smoke free. I feel great. This time I was really ready. I hated smoking and spending soooo much money. Hated the taste hated the smell but mostly I hated myself. I felt like a failure. i am using the patches and the cravings are really not bad the habit part keeps coming up. I have to change a lot about my behavior. But that is all good. Today I was getting restless so I went for a bike ride.

bulldog316

When I was a kid my family liked to use the work sickness instead of addiction.  Really they weren't off the mark.  Addiction is a sickness.  As an addict I know it is a life long process and it is a concious process.  While cajones are a big factor I also believe in faith one's self. 

I have never made an excuse for when I failed.  Because I admit, I screwed up.  I am an addict and I am the furthest from perfect anyone will ever be but I will never trade one day of sobriety or being smoke free for anything in the world.  I judge my sucess one trial at a time.  No one makes me drink or smoke, if I do I do and I only have myself to blame.  But for as I blame myself for my failures I must remind myself to start over and be stronger.

No person quits for the fun of it.  The first week is Hell and if that is their idea of a good time then I don't want to meet them in a dark alley. 

JonesCarpeDiem

no one said missing or giving up anything you've mentally counted on or physically dependent upon is fun but it certainly is doable when people stop using the a word as an excuse for their failure.

accountability and responsibility for ones actions seem to go out the window when put into action in a model of predicted failure.

it seems to me that people who use the "a'' word are prophysyers of failure and acceptant of it which actually leads to it rather than away from it.

Get some faith in yourself because without it, you aren't going anywhere with quitting smoking and staying quit.

ninepatch

Today is day 12 of no smoking.  I was here before and threw it all away after almost a year.

This time is different.  I really DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE AGAIN.  That is all there is to this story.  NOPE.   And I mean Ever.  That is the only thing I need to remember for the rest of my life.

luliper

@Ninepatch...

May the force be with you! I will be thinking of you and wishing you well. I remember you from when I was here a year and a half ago. All the best to you!

Commitment scarey word for some but that's what it takes...on a daily basis!  

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.