cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

If I were still a smoker I would have smoked two packs Saturday night

JonesCarpeDiem
4 5 100

I posted in Marilyn's post about my dad taking another fall last Thursday and being taken to the hospital with a fever of 102.

The Dr. released him Friday but felt he needed to be in a skilled nursing facility and receive some physical therapy before going back to his apartment at his independent living facility.

I met my twin at the skilled nursing facility about 3:30 pm on Saturday and they got dad into a room. 

I was shocked when he began reaching out for things in mid-air that were not there and saying things that didn't make sense. It was like the father I knew was in a different reality and I knew he had not been drugged up at the hospital because they were reluctant to even give him a 5mg norco.

I was freaking out thinking this was how he would be from now on.

Sunday morning I started making calls to his case worker, and the Dr. who had treated him to see if thay had done a brain scan or anything that would indicate brain trauma like a brain bleed when he fell.

As the Dr. and hospital had no way of knowing what his "normal" was I thought they might assume that at 97, they were seeing his normal behavior.

I was so relieved when I went to see him yesterday and he was back to normal.

AND

I was sure glad I don't smoke anymore. 

5 Comments
biscuit9

Thankfully Dale, he is ok.  I can only imagine how scary that was for you and your dad.

MarilynH

Whew Dale! I'm so glad that he's back to being himself again I can just imagine how scary that must have been! I'm so glad that you don't smoke anymore whew I'm also very glad that I don't smoke anymore either! I'm so glad for each and every one of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE!

Strudel

So glad he is okay Dale. With my dad - often an infection would cause severe confusion and even hallucinations. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JonesCarpeDiem I am so glad your dad is feeling better and so glad you didn't turn back to smoking, even through an understandably stressful time. Take good care and thanks for sharing with us. 

- Danielle, EX Team

Sootie

So sorry to hear this happened to your Dad. Glad he is getting better and HOPE he is home soon. Thank goodness he has you to be by his side.

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.