cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

If I Wrote A Blog Telling People That The ECig Was The Way To Get Through Cravings...

JonesCarpeDiem
0 13 28

If i had been here 2 days and there were 5 people reading who were hanging on by their fingernails looking for any excuse to smoke, any excuse at all....and say all five of them went out and bought an ecig...and 4 of them to go back to smoking within a week because they had stopped unlearning smoking and gone back to what was familiar....and the other person managed to hang on with the ecig but couldn't put it down....

does my right as an individual to say what i want supercede the good of everyone else?

there's such a thing as gullibility people.

think about the whole.

all this name calling did not prove this persons intention either way. the guy and his coworker did not prove they were not here to push the ecig. all they did was f this place up and perhaps ruin a number of quits.

and i'm not saying he was an ecig salesperson, i am not accusing him.  there have been plenty here who have tried however so, how do we know who is who? isn't the damage already done by the time many of you figure it out?

i never attacked this guy. go look at his message board. go look at my message board.

and you and you and you let it happen.

you and you and you and you. think about the whole.

13 Comments
pir8fan

The Guy is gone! You won! The cost of victory is still unknow! But it is time to let it go!

nanawendy

Bravo, Tommy !!!!

mary242

AMEN

heather142

I dont think e-cigs are good to use, jonescap, so, no thanks, i will not use one.  i tried one once a year ago and it was not like smoking, like they said.  it was lick a pipe, more.  and it was so heavy it didn't seem like a cigarette at all.  and it made me feel a little sick.

so, no.  I won't use an e-cg even if an expert says it will help with cravings. but thanks for the tip.

tireduvsmoke

Dale, if people are looking for an excuse to smoke they will find one.

I'm not here because I would "Like" to quit, I am here because I am 100% committed to quitting smoking.

I mean come on, to say that someone will leave the site, or start back smoking because of what someone said? That is such a cop-out.

You cannot smoke a cigarette unless you pick it up, stick it in your mouth, and light it up.

You make the decision to do that, no one else does.

I do agree that e-cigarette's are a cop-out as well. The only thing your losing is the smoke. But if it keeps someone from smoking for even just a day. It could lead towards 100% commitment.

You know just as well as I do that 100% commitment isn't easy, if people come here and want to hold on to crutches, all we can do is give them our experiance with using crutches.

If your 100% commited to quitting, you will listen to what people that have sucessfully quit tell you to do.

Unfortunately, many people have and will continue come here not 100% commited, and they will continue to smoke.

But maybe, just maybe, some of them will get tired of BSing and lying to themselves.

Brenda_M

Dale, some of the people here have even used the e-cig, so I'm so confused as to the newfound contempt of it. But that's neither here nor there. You are entitled to your opinion, and you weren't even a jerk about it. You planted a seed that led to some absolutely disgusting, shameful behavior on both sides, but you didn't do it intentionally, and you were not a bully. I'm REALLY glad to see you blogging today, even though I am disappointed to see it's to dredge this thing back up. Again. You'd do well to follow Tommy's lead.

As for "outrageous filth," I have been astounded many times by the fact that apparently using bad words is a "crime" worse than bullying here. Apparently, it's also comparable or worse than robbing a conveniene store.  It must be a generation gap. I hope none of you find out I wear pants and don't own a phone book.

I'm also astounded by the lack of introspection. But I guess I really shouldn't be. Refusal to look at when one might have made a mistake (unless it was actually smoking--then there's responsibility...but that is on the newbies, too) seems to be the MO.

He also didn't act alone in "effing" this place up, and he certainly didn't do it by talking about the e-cig. But I'll answer your question. If I were a newbie, hanging onto my fingernails and read his blog, I'd be more likely to go buy a pack than an e-cig, and it wouldn't be because of what HE said. I wouldn't want to be an EX looking at this place these days.

So....are we done now?

Brenda_M

Jim, exactly what I said.

"Apparently, it's also comparable..."

freeneasy

Hi Dale- You are my first and only friend so far on this site-I hope to make many more. Your wisdom has helped me. I am on day 49 of my quit but , admit that I am still using the patch and gum. I am still a nicotene addict. The last time I "lit up" was 01/05. I thought about  the e-cig, but it was not recommended and it seemed like it would be mimicing  a 30+ year habit I am trying to break. Keep the wisdom coming .    Thanks Jim 

JonesCarpeDiem

hi jim,

nothing wrong with using an aid. i think it's better if it's planned from the beginning.

i believe a baseball bat can help a person quit if used as intended.

i do worry about the gum because its dose self regulated and therefore someone who doesn't realize the ramifications could become addicted to it and in my 6 years, i have seen many who have.

but you seem to have a clear understanding there is more to being free from smoking than just breaking the habit part.

after all, it's the addiction that holds us in the habit.

one thing at a time. please keep unlearning. keep coming here.

make more friends. there are plenty of good people here.

Brian100

Congratulations, Dale.  You hounded a new quitter off this site.  Yippee for you.  I have yet to discover what you offer to the new quitter, beyond dogma and contempt. 

misty_dawn

Hugs, Dale! Glad to see you out and about today.

kris54

Brian... that comment is completely uncalled for.  Dale is an experienced, committed person on this site... with imperfections just like YOU and ME.  Why do you feel compelled to keep hitting hard, when clearly, Dale is has tried to explain his methods of helping.  he is no nonsense... and he tells it like it is.

IF... you cannot see what Dale has to offer..... then you are not reading his blogs with your glasses on.  The truth is not always pretty..... neither is lung cancer... COPD..... Heart disease.......

Please stop this foolishness..... enough has been said.  I'm pretty sure he GETS IT.

Glad to see you up and about blogging, Dale!

karen-lane

I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT WENT ON HERE, BUT I HAVE 180 DAY QUIT AND NEW BABY PINE TREES, LOL, THIS SITE HAS HELPED ME TO GET ALONG WITH MY QUIT AND THE EXPERTS HAVE A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE TO PASS ON , SO NOT EVERYTHING IS PERFECT AN WILL BE SMOOTH, SOMETIMES PEOPLE WILL UNINTENTIONALLY RUFFLE SOMEONES FEATHERS, THINGS HAVE TO BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AND A LITTLE HUMOR, I JUST DON'T GET IT I GUESS.  BUT ANYWAY WE NEED THE EXPERTS HERE, SO UNTIL I BECOME ONE, LOL, I AM GLAD THE ELDERS ARE HERE.

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.