cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

IT’S NOT THE PUFF IT’S THE PERMISSION

Giulia
5 31 777

Elder rant - read at your own risk!  (Thanks to Dale for that Blog title quote which I stole.)

Gotta speak my peace on NOPE and re-setting quit counters.  Can we put this quit counter question to rest.  Can we EVER?  And if not, why not?

Scenario - a newly quit quitter.  From Day One  to - whatever day after day one.  Could be day 3, or 7, 18 or 29, or... you name it.  A day in which a quitter puts a cigarette in their mouth and takes a puff.  They need it because they’re stressed, or they want to see what it tastes like after all this time, or they think just one won’t hurt, or WHATEVER the scenario (AKA EXCUSE) that made them choose to put that cigarette into their mouth, light it, inhale it and essentially blow their quit with that one puff.  

If slips are allowed in your quit smoking methodology and you feel free to not  reset your quit clock each time, you’re not taking responsibility for your quit.  I suppose you see it as a learning experience.  And they ARE certainly that.  But you know what?  For the majority of quitters on this site, quit clocks represent the day we never took another puff.  If you quit - you quit.  If you slip, you haven’t yet quit.  Have you?  Think about it.  What exactly determines the day you quit if you allow slips along the way?  How many slips are allowed before you become a serial quitter?  “If you quit and you smoke, you’re doing it wrong!”  Our definition of “quit” is the day you never take another puff.  It’s absurd to think otherwise.  

When you take that one puff, smoke that one half of a cigarette, or that entire one, or that pack, you have reintroduced your addiction unto yourself.  You have taken a step backwards in more ways than you can imagine.  For it’s not only the puff, it’s the permission for that puff which undermines you.  You have psychologically given yourself permission for future possibilities of smoking.   It’s also a step backwards to your self-esteem.  And chemically in your brain you’ve negated what you’ve achieved.  The object is to shrink those nicotine receptors that have been increased by smoking, not rebuild them.  

Ranting on....  Do you think we give you advice to make you feel bad?  To undermine your self confidence?   To bring forth feelings of guilt?  NO.  We give you our experiential wisdom to teach you about holding yourself accountable.  To teach you about honoring your commitment.  To instill, like a parent, the values, the ways and means of achieving lasting  success.  We want to protect you from failure.  But as is often true, the child doesn’t know what’s good for them until they find it out for themselves.  Experience IS, after all, the best teacher.

Often, hard-learned lessons are the ones that stick.  They’re good for us.  There are those on here who have had many days quit but took that one puff, fessed up, and then reset their quit counter.  What a blow it was to them to have to do so.  That takes guts, courage and honor.  And I would imagine that lesson will last a lifetime in their quit because their quit WILL last a lifetime.

I can say my quit is pure.  It has never been adulterated by a single puff.  The date I have attached to my avatar is my badge of honor.  The stop watch of my quit has never been reset.  Because I have never given myself permission to take that one puff.    I have stood by the NOPE Doctrine and it has proven successful for over 9 years.  (Make that 13 years as of 2019.)

What say ye?

"Understand what you're fighting."  "Don't let a slip put you back to using" - YouTube 

(Updated 11/7/19)  Just wanted to add this blog for more input on the subject - a lot of good discussion:  So if I “slip”, and have a cigarette, do I change my quit date? 

(Updated 11/21/19) Another blog on the topic:  /blogs/Storm.3.1.14-blog/2015/08/03/the-question-to-reset-or-not-to-reset 

(Updated 1/8/2020)  /blogs/Ladybug--7-3-12-blog/2019/03/21/adulting-101 

Tags (1)
31 Comments
LouiseR

My quit is pure also at 575 days. N.O.P.E.!

Thomas3.20.2010

Puff proof for 5 YEARS +. N.O.P.E.!

Storm.3.1.14

MY QUIT IS PURE. Why? Because I already spent 28 YEARS making excuses and exceptions and bargains and half-a$$ed compromises. ENOUGH! The time for that nonsense ENDED 405 days ago.

SMOKERS wheel and deal and wiggle around the facts. QUITTERS quit.

Thank you, Giulia, for laying down the TRUTH, as only an Elder with 9 YEARS of experience can do it!

JonesCarpeDiem

eXactly.

My quit is pure with over 3000 days.

You win or lose in the end depending on the choice you make today

djmurray

Okay, I am not an elder (and I don't even play one on TV) but I completely agree with you Giulia -- I had the same thoughts as you're expressing this morning in reading the blog to which Dale responded with that quote.  I decided not to comment there because with my 99 days of my quit I might not have enough street creds.  But I am relieved you addressed it.

Our quit dates are the day we gave up smoking forever, and committed to NOPE.  Note that it clearly says Not One Puff Ever, and it doesn't mean  Not One Puff Unless You Really Want One and you still have your quit.  No.  

I didn't join whyquit.com because I find them a bit too strident and stringent, and I really appreciate our less judgmental approach here at EX.  But there are standards, and the standard for quitting at EX is your quit clock represents the day you stopped smoking forever.  Period.  

So my quit is pure at my paltry 99 days!

JonesCarpeDiem

It's not the days DJ, it's the purity.

freeneasy

Quit means quit- If someone" slips up"  and takes a puff, he or she is just a smoker in between smokes. 824 days N.O.P.E. and proud of it.

hwc

Let's go to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cfxzB804S4

I read The One Puff Files, about people throwing away quits, every month on my quit anniversary for the first couple of years, just to reinforce the point in my nicotine drug addled mind:

http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/22888

Giulia

@DJ - 99 days is like 99 years to someone on their first day.  Not paltry.

linda258

It is kinda like saying you are a virgin.... but have sex every now and then. 

smorgy8513

I'll bet a donut (be sure it is Krispy Kreme) that the ones who disagree with this Giulia are the ones who have less time, the ones who mark their badges for tracking, etc. even though they haven't done them.        I decided that if I'm going to have this be my Forever Quit I need to be honest with you all....and more important, with myself.        Personally if someone claims a milestone of 30,90,TDC or any and I know they had a "slip" or 2 in there I won't be as happy for them as the person who says "I had to re-set my counter __ times but this is my real day".

Thanks Giulia!

My name is Sharon and I have 611 days with NOPE!

Eric_L.

yeah.  it's kinda like in aa if you don't have a psychic change then you don't have a defense against the first drink.  in that program the goal is to have an experience that frees you from the obsession to drink.  i would argue that if you smoke and do not reset your quit date than you haven't been beat up enough by cigarettes or you are miserable when not smoking because you haven't changed anything in your life to give you a defense against the first smoke and are in essence white-knuckling it.   maybe i've had too much 12 step stuff drilled in my head over the years.  idk.  but as i read the blogs and the postings by dr hurt and the other literature on this site it seems that the one common denominator of successful quits, which is in addition to not smoking, is living a balanced life.  it seems to me that occasionally giving into the urge to smoke doesn't seem balanced or manageable.  js.

Giulia

Wonderfully put - a quit clock is a defense against that first puff.  I never thought about it in that way.  Knowing that you have to re-set your clock is a DETERRANT as well as a source of pride. 

Jennifer-Quit

I have 343 days without a puff - I am very proud to say!  My experience here at EX has shown time and time again that the people who do not want to follow the rules are the ones that "poof" just disappear.  If you do not hold yourself accountable for your actions, then next time temptation comes a knocking at your door, it will be easier to have that one puff.  And before you know it - you'll be back at it full time.  Been there, done that - but not this time - This is my forever quit!

sparky26

Thank you Giulia , I am solid in my commitment, I have not had one puff in 314  days.

MarilynH

Thank you Giulia ,I also agree with you 100 % and I am my 270 th day of freedom and my quit is completely pure.

Sootie

I love this G!!!! My quit date by my name IS my badge of honor!!!!

As many on here know.....I don't do quit clocks. But if I did......my clock would be honest.........not another thing to say.

Strudel

I say - well said Giulia!! 

froguelady

I don't keep up with my days very much but I know if I smoke one cigarette it is day one again. You either quit or you don't and smoking after you quit is still smoking by choice not by slipping. (sorry Miz G but I do not like that word slip)

bonniebee

Right on Giulia !!!!!!

I already had to reset my quit date and lucklily for me I didn't have that many days in yet and it still hurt to have to do it ..... but lesson learned ! It is an  incentive for me  to keep my quit pure I do not want to go back to Day 1 ever ! I just reached 2 months.... N.O.P.E. amd proud of it !

How can one be proud of there days if they are not honest with themselves and everyone here ?

Mark-01.01.2016

Couldnt agree more, i have not had a puff since my quit date. if we let our selves do that then we might as well go back to smoking. we could make an excuse every second day. NOPE RULES

debbie-3.30.15

I don't want to , but I have to agree with you.  I don't want to discourage people who have slipped, but thank you for bringing clarity to this issue for me.  It gives me one more reason not to slip myself...and am a real newbie who is still struggling on a daily basis. 

I am Proud to say I have not had a cigarette in 11 days, and I don't want to have to start at day 1 again.  Just 11 days may seem like nothing to all of you, but I can't think of many things in my life that have been harder. So that date means something very important to me.

Can someone tell me about this NOPE business?

pir8fan

If it is OK for one clock to lie then none of the others have value!

Barb102

Nope. I’m never giving g up this quit. No matter what. I worked too hard for it.   Not o e not ever. I’m not strong. But I know I can never do this again and I won’t. It doesn’t change anything it never has and never will. It was a crutch for me but a false one. It never helped and nothing ever got better. Not ever did anything change, except for one thing- I got sicker!!

Barb

Barb102

NOPE means not one puff ever. Like it or not the truth be told- we are addicts. Pure and simple   No the world doesn’t want to help us. They think we get what we deserve. But it’s not true. Not one person on this site wanted to get addicted. I got a small rock. I wrote NOPE on it I carry it everywhere with me. It’s a rock prayer for me. I hope it will help you. Use Vick’s nasal spray when you know you will pass people smoking. I got the aid from this group and it really works for me

Barb

Giulia

@Barb102   LOVE that you got a rock, wrote NOPE on it and carry it with you!  Great reality object /blogs/Giulia-blog/2013/09/10/how-precious-is-your-quit?sr=search&searchId=8938027d-06c4-42d9-9934-1...‌  A rock prayer.  Too cool!  No, the world doesn't want to help us and life is not fair.  But when we learn to control the addict within - we learn we can do anything!  Despite not having the world's help and despite the unfairness.  (Pssst - you're stronger than you think!)   NADO (Never Another Day One!)  We're done with that!  

anaussiemom

I reset when I Fk up!  I think each individual has a right to chose what works for them!!

This is not a rant from me.  This is based on human-err.   Whatever works works!

MHO

Hugs

G"  flying-nun-smiley-emoticon.gifI get it, you were tough on you.  

Everyone has a different experience.   Did you know, now everyone is addicted, as badly as the next person... I  Just read that at Mayo studies!   Unfortunately  I am addicted in the worst Gaud awful way!  I love smoking.  Smoking is not an option for me, Period!

Happy Monday.

Also loved CB!!

Did not see a tuff stance  in this link?   I did see solutions though

Quit smoking: Strategies to help you quit - Mayo Clinic 

djmurray

Wow -- this is definitely a blast from the past -- and my paltry 99 days then is my robust 1503 days NOW!  And still pure.  I sure hope I'm not the only one who read the beginning of this rant in my email and clicked to read the whole thing.  I didn't even realize it was from April of 2015 until I got to my own comment!!  Yay us!!

Sootie

Giulia

WOW! I remember these discussions (read RUCKUS) so well!!!!!

I really could never understand the point of the question.......

If you take a puff, is it Day 1 again?

OF COURSE!  Otherwise...........what makes a quit?

If it's not Day 1 if you take a puff....then is it Day 1 after you take two puffs? Or do you have to smoke a whole cigarette....or two? Or do you have a smoke for  whole DAY to make it Day 1 again? And on and on and on.............

As I said on this blog 4 years ago.......my quit date is my badge of honor. And it's not just an "approximate date of when I sort of slowed down on smoking"............ It IS THE DAY I quit smoking.

On a different note......I shed some tears when I saw Betty's post on here (Froguelady). HOW I MISS HER! She was such a gentle lady who was an inspiration to everyone. May we all remember her with love.

Giulia

I was looking at a picture of her from the Nashville reunion yesterday.  And I did indeed remember her with love.

pir8fan

Often remember our beauty Betty! Always with love!!

About the Author
Member since MAY 2008. I quit smoking March 1, 2006. I smoked a pack and a half a day for about 35 years. What did it take to get me smoke free? Perseverance, a promise not to smoke, and a willingness to be uncomfortable for as long as it took to get me to where I am today. I am an Ex but I have not forgotten the initial difficult journey of this rite of passage. That's one of the things that's keeping me proudly smoke free. I don't want to ever have another Day 1 again. You too can achieve your goal of being finally free forever. Change your mind, change your habits, alter your focus, release the myths you hold about smoking. And above all - keep your sense of hewmer. DAY WON - NEVER ANOTHER DAY ONE. If you still want one - you're still vulnerable. Protect your quit!