cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I've got 100 days smober!!!

ReallyReal
6 16 238

I wanted to make a pretty big deal for myself that today I have 100 days without a nasty cigarette and without vaping, I did both in the last year or so.  For years and years I was sickened by my own addictive behavior--I hated the smell of stale cigarette smoke that clung to me, I couldn't actually afford to smoke but did it anyway, and I was so angry at myself for being under complete control of tobacco, having to feed the addiction at the most inopportune times.  And yet, despite all of this, I didn't quit.  I had this mindset that I was incapable of quitting, that I just was too weak--this was a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It was health issues that finally changed my thought processes and I realized that in order to continue having a life that is satisfying, I had to quit.  I found this site, I think it was in August of 2022 and quit, but only for 51 days.  I gave up my quit.  I still had that defeated mindset that quitting and staying quit was not within my power.  So I gave into my urges and negative thinking.  Afterwards I felt shame and disgust for myself--but those kinds of feelings are not productive and I soon realized that in order to quit and stay quit I needed to be more optimistic and talk to myself in positive ways.  And I needed to remember that the short term hardship and discomfort of quitting smoking is outweighed by far by longterm benefits.  I have had a few close calls this quit, one recently, when negativity crept in and I almost willfully gave up my quit.  I didn't though and I am still smokefree.  I recognize that this quit is for me all about Choices and a Willingness to set aside immediate urges for a longer view that sees health, finances, spirituality, mental health all improving by my choosing not to smoke.

I've gone on long enough.  Thanks for listening and I hope this January day finds you doing well.  Thank you to everyone for this outstanding community!!  Quitting nicotine is difficult but very doable!!!

16 Comments
About the Author
I am 59 years old and love my four dogs and two cats, all strays I couldn't turn away. I love to be outside in my yard, watching the birds or puttering around in the dirt. I am so grateful that I let go of those inner voices that kept telling me, It is too late to quit smoking, or, Why quit now? I am so looking forward to being smoke-free.