cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I thought I'd mention S.A.D this morning! 🤷‍♀️🐪

MarilynH
6 17 185

We've been having a fairly easy winter in my neck of the woods but even so I've been finding myself in a funk lately which got me thinking that this happens pretty much every winter for the last decade or so which I believe is ~ S.A.D ~ Seasonal Affective Disorder! I've shared a couple of times BUT I think it's worth sharing again in case anyone else is having the winter blues! Spring is coming YAY! Keeping our quits in TACT ~ N.M.W ~ No Matter what is TRULY THE GIFT OF LIFE! ~ N.O.P.E ~ Not One Puff Ever ~ Works when applied on a daily basis! The Choice is Ours! Deep breaths my friends and fellow EXers LIFE happens BUT relapsing isn't an option EVER! 

84718b67cf125dabf0b4fb8184c18423.jpg

It's A Okay that I'm having a blah day! I'll just take myself a ME day today especially since it's a dark dank dreary day!  

Screenshot_20230327-174230.jpg

Here's our buddy our pal our Hump day camel George 

a6b5cbff51f5248be421a7073fed8757.gif

17 Comments
SuzyQ411

@MarilynH 

heart.png

My Dear Friend~

Both George and I  give you hugs and encouragement to take the day to concentrate on caring for yourself. My middle son, who has been diagnosed with SAD, has found mood improvement from a special lamp designed for this disorder. It gives him the sense of being in a sun-filled area of his living room. BUT the thing that that has worked best for him is something many of us cannot or choose not to do-- he has moved south to Tennessee where dark winter days are minimal. He also boosts his serotonin levels with daily walks, regular trips to the gym, and weekly pickleball. Now granted, you and I may not be ones to head south, or lift weights or jog on treadmills or get into the fast paced game of pickleball, but a good start might possibly be to explore one of those lights? xox

Cousin-Itt

Good morning, Marilyn

Maybe that's what had me in my funk. Our winters here are always gray, wet and dreary with very little snow.  

This morning I told Joyce the weather sirens went off last night and I grabbed GoGo and went to the basement. I told Joyce I didn't want to wake her and left her sleeping.  I should have waited to tell her until she brought me my coffee.

I do hope your Zippity returns quickly

YoungAtHeart

Thanks for the smile, Carl (  @Cousin-Itt )!  I always so enjoy your sense of humor!

I think most of us feel a funk by the end of February!!? It does start to feel like winter is never ending by now - kinda' like the early days of a quit????  I go for a walk outside most every day, but the drearies get me on these dark, dank, rainy days. 

This too shall pass!  Glad none of us are smoking over it!  

JonesCarpeDiem

I'll settle for the DOO-DAH in my head

biscuit9

Morning.  I have heard of weather disorder and I hope the sun comes out soon.  Gray skies can put anyone in a funk.  Thinking of you ((((Marilyn)))) and others who are affected by this.

@MarilynH   My husband faithfully watches this show, Curse of Oak Island and it is filmed in Nova Scotia and it occurred to me last night, while watching the show, that that area might be close to you??  Do you even know what I am talking about?

Not smoking today.  Ain't got any smokes, not buying any either.  We have errands to run around and do today.  Oh!  I became a mother today, 44 years ago today (HE is getting so old), my little bundle of joy was born.  I celebrated with him 2 days ago, he is in town for business.  He flies home today.  He also was born in a leapyear.  I look at this day and everyday now, as a gift.  

biscuit9

😳  I forgot to mention how handsome George looks this morning. 

Barbara145

Good morning wonderful Marilyn.  "Whatever is excellent, whatever is praise worthy, Think about these things."  The Bible.  Love and prayers for you today.  Take good care of yourself.

indingrl

happy-wednesday-funny-picture-with-text.jpg

 thank you for sharing dear friend @MarilynH 

I hope your s.a.d. works it's way through my dear

I been grieving my momma and walked through those emotions with the help of everyone here who worked through their grieving by sharing on exercising group and this page too 

I am so glad for the experience strength and hope given during grief

My mom dead 9 months on March 1st

PTL

ReallyReal

@MarilynHI have experienced SAD myself and my brother who lived in Portland, Oregon moved down here to Texas with me because his depression got so bad up there.  The sunlight has been amazing for his mood.  My heart is heavy for anyone experiencing a winter depression, it is no joke.  I am glad people have recognized what is happening to moods during the winter months.  Perhaps knowing helps a person cope with it better??  Anyway, my very best to you and hoping Spring arrives soon to brighten up gray days.

MarilynH

Thank you so much @SuzyQ411  @Cousin-Itt @YoungAtHeart @JonesCarpeDiem @biscuit9 @Barbara145 @indingrl and @ReallyReal I'm getting outside as much as possible even if it's just walking up and down the driveway several times a day, it's a long driveway so I'm getting some exercise as well the fresh air thanks Suzy. I love your sense of humor humor Carl 😊 thank you, you're right this funk will pass just like early stages of our quits that seemed never ending kept getting better and better! 😊 Thank you Dale for sharing the video I'm looking forward to to getting my doo dah back 😁 I'm sure it'll be back soon. I'm a 6 hour drive from Nova Scotia @biscuit9 my older sister lives in Lower Sackville N.S, Mark and I drove down last Summer with his sister Wendy and did some site seeing, it was fun! 😊 Thank you @Barbara145 I appreciate you sharing the Bible verse, without looking it up! I believe it's Philippians chapter 4 verse 8 🤔 Huge caring hug from me to you @indingrl I'm so sorry about you missing your Mom, I know it's really hard it's been over 12 years for me and I still miss my Mom and It's only been 9 months for you my thoughts are with you! 💕 Thank you@ReallyReal it does help knowing SAD is real, my grandmother had it too! I keep busy and try to get outside as much as possible plus I have lots of Windows which lets lots of light in that helps to. We're under a rain fall warning overnight with strong winds then tomorrow morning we're in for a flash freeze but that's A Okay because Spring is coming! Huge hug for each of you my friends and fellow EXers. 😊🤗

indingrl

fad1b2523e31744228132cf980bc4bb85b4d7037a8a2a9229a76fc6c0197a848.0.png

@MarilynH 

maryfreecig

Here in NH we had grim, gray days begin in October, then they went on and on and on through January. When the weather is gray like that for so long, it's hard to be upbeat. It made the shorter daylight hours even shorter. Then in February the sun began to shine almost daily. The weather has warmed up, the days really are longer! So, I'm Curious about your SAD at this time Marilyn--I think at this time we have similar weather. I've finally been feeling better because the weather finally gave up all those freaking grim days. But you seem to be feeling SAD now as positive change has arrived. One thing comes to mind from a youtuber in Sweden who talks about living in their climate, in the spring she says the light is almost too much--after hunkering down and going within--suddenly everything is open. You've got a lot on your plate as far as dealing with life goes, but I hope you find relief from SAD soon. I must say in those 4 grim months, I just kinda threw up my hands. There is no polyanna trick that can change that endless gray into happy. Big hug.

SuzyQ411

@maryfreecig ~ "There is no polyanna trick that can change that endless gray into happy~" Boy, isn't that the truth. BUT, thankfully, there is a limitation to this S.A.D. business-- it's referred to as "seasonal" because, like any time of the year -- winter, spring, summer or fall-- it comes, completes its cyclic duration,  and then it goes away. May your episode of SAD soon come to its natural  end @MarilynH  ❤️ 

MarilynH

After reading your comment to me @maryfreecig and our weather this Winter actually has been pretty decent at least as far as snowstorms goes, you mentioned that I have alot on my plate which is true I've also been having alot of bad headaches over the last several months which could be causing me to be frustrated and down ugh so maybe it's not so much SAD as I thought! Thank you Mary for your imput, thanks @SuzyQ411 I feel much better just by reading all of these caring comments, huge hug from me to each of you. 🤗

Maki

Sending you some colour . 

B15BFE55-060F-44D8-A1A0-B777D81EC72B.jpegFor anyone who feels they may have sad , I use a sad light and find it of great help for winter months whether you have sad or not . I love it .  ( I have not been clinically diagnosed with sad )  but do believe I too suffer from it . This year Marilyn because our winter has been so mild too I was able to get out in the sun more . Because of this I believe that winter has not nearly affected my sad as much , why , vitamin D , why because I was moving with more with walks increasing dopamine and serotonin . ( Just my opinion )  Feb / March is when I generally suffer most from this. Generally  4 - 5 months of winter is enough for me but here as you know it’s nearly 6 months 6 and a half months really of grey gloom both sky and land most days until the trees start budding and the grass turns green late April . That pre change to spring , that last two months before we start seeing new growth and green is long , so Feb and March is when when I get down the most .  I remember you feeling this way last year about this time as well and writing about it . 
On top of this you were laid up with many physical problems this winter and now you mention headaches as well . All stressors on top of a yes milder but still long winter . The good news is some of the physical things got resolved so when spring comes and the snow is gone you will be able to get out more . You had such a terrible time walking over the winter and having to have your foot up for months x, it would get anyone down . You’ve been a trooper and hope you feel better and soon .

Lots n lots of hugs , spring truly is around the corner . 

69E5C1A5-A2BC-4AC3-BEB5-E53C6BAEA475.gif 

maryfreecig

@SuzyQ411 yes, February has come through with mild and sunny weather to beat the band!!! We did have an unusually dark four months though--in December I did look up how people 200, 300 years ago dealt with winter. For them it was an incredibly more difficult time. Let's just say, I'm not moving further north ever!!! No wonder we have a parade of holidays late fall and early winter. 

@MarilynH no doubt you are always doing your best to meet the day as it comes. I hope your docs and friends, all those around you are a great source of encouragement. I know February's sunshine has me singing a happier tune, but those previous four months--end times!!! I kept doing the things I love to do, connecting, trying new things... but the sun made all the difference.

Reminds me of AAs guidance on a higher power and turning it over when things get too big.

MarilynH

Thank you so much @Maki and @maryfreecig and everyone here! Huge hug to each of you! 🤗💕

About the Author
I'm a proud Gram of 2 grandsons and a granddaughter and I consider myself a jack of all trades and a master of none, plus I enjoy reading and being outside and since quitting smoking breathing is so much easier because I'm not coughing half of my time sucking on a cancer stick....