Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I quit last Thursday

Mcj7712
3 11 272

Recently Quit 

It’s Tuesday…so today is really quit day #6…
I used to get out of work get in my car and light up to end the day or I would come home, pour a glass of wine and chain smoke outside and continue to drink.

Not smoking has helped with drinking too much wine lol. Today though, I feel weird - not like I want to smoke but I feel like I don’t know what to do. I do feel as if the nerves in my hands and feet are tingling…as if they are waking up. maybe my body is finally getting a good amount of oxygen!

Visiting this site daily, the helpful advice and resources from you all is a good thing for me, I know it is!!!  

11 Comments
sbbain1

I’m celebrating 9 years today. I used to sit outside and drink beer and chain smoke. When I quit, I had to quit drinking for 58 days because the drinking was a trigger. I also couldn’t hang out on my patio for a few weeks either. I was 47 when I quit and took up running. Thank tan my first 5k and was hooked. I ran my first half marathon before I turned 50. I traded a very unhealthy habit for a better one.  Use one of these trackers “Quit It” and you will be amazed or disgusted.

528E8B27-B305-4A77-952F-064F36649C5F.jpeg

Good luck and stay strong! YOU HOT THIS?

Stacey

Snowdoggie

@Mcj7712  Wow, you are doing great! I can't believe you are already on day 6. Congratulations!! You are almost through hell week. My hands tingle. I'm not sure what that is. It happens when I am on my phone too long so I just that it was that and not to do with smoking. 

I felt like I was drifting back and forth with craves and noncraves the 1st 3 weeks I quit. I had to keep telling myself NOPE (not one puff ever). I ate bread and butter pickles and coleslaw. I think the vinegar in them helped w the craves and it is low-fat. Sometimes I would treat myself to a Nestle Crunch bar and made it melt in my mouth to last longer. Hope these thoughts help you through the next week. Onward and Upward!!!🌋🌋🌋

@sbbain1 Thanks for your post and HAPPY 9 YEARS!!!🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋I love how you turned quitting smoking into running. Wow, you've saved enough for a new car! Way to go!!😃

sweetplt

Great job @Mcj7712 almost though hell week…continue to keep close…we are here for you…Congratulations on 6 days of Freedom ~ Colleen 1212 DOF 

Mcj7712

@sbbain1 

Thank you!!! Happy 9 yrs!!! I do want to exercise more - i joined the Ymca and I had been going 2-3 times a week - so I hope I can do what you did and pick up a healthy lifestyle like running! 

Mcj7712

@Snowdoggie 

Thank you! I understand about the food cravings! I’ve been eating a ceasar salad for dinner lately - and dark chocolate as dessert!

Mcj7712

@sweetplt 

Thank you!!! Appreciate the support!!!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Congratulations on your decision to quit and your (almost) full week of success.  I hope you will spend some time doing some reading.  I hope the tips I will offer may help you on your journey to freedom from addiction!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.becomeanex.org/nicotine-addiction_nicotine-and-your-brain/

I quit almost ten years ago on my first and only attempt at it, and I base my overall recommendations on my experience and that of others over the years. if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch. I would be happy to explain further; you just need to ask.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Mcj7712 Congrats on day 7.    You're doing great.  There are definitely some unexpected side effects when we quit.  That tingling is better blood flow.  You're body is healing.

Continue to stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1629320239334.jpeg

Barb

Mcj7712

@YoungAtHeart 

Thank you!!!

Mcj7712

@Barbscloud 

Thanks!!!

MarilynH

A super CONGRATULATIONS on your precious quit journey YAY for 6 precious Smokefree days and counting WTG YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come....

About the Author
I moved to St Pete Sept of 2021, never lived so close to the beach so thought I’d give it a try. I do miss the mountains of NC however.