cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I'm gonna try something.

patty81
0 3 4

I'm feeling really good right now so I'm gonna try something.  It's 4am right now and I don't get off work until 8am.  So I'm gonna try and push until I get off work and not have a smoke.  I've made 3 hours so far, and I've only smoked 6 cigarettes since 7pm last night instead of 15, and my last one was around 3am.  So lets see what I can do.  I'll get back with everyone later today to let you know how far I got.

3 Comments
jojo_2-24-11

Hi Patty, Some say that once you get down to 5 or less a day, you are going into constant withdraw. Just saying. We all need to do what makes it work for us. Eventhough we are all in this together we are all individuals in our quit methods. Have you set a quit date yet? We are all here to help you in your decision to quit. Come on and blog often. Take lots of deep breaths, drink plenty of water and laugh a lot. Ask questions about what you may be going through, there's always someone willing to lend a helping hand.

tireduvsmoke

From my experieance, when I just "tried" something it never worked for me.

I cut down for awhile. I did the "lights" and the "ultra lights". I went to my doctor, and asked for a prescription of some "quit smoking" medicine. He asked me if I really and truly wanted to quit. I said "no". He said, "No medicine will make you quit if you don't really want to."

I tried 1/2 way attempts for several years, and made it 6 days as the longest.

One day I got honest with myself. I had not ever really committed to quitting, I had just gone through the motions. This was on Oct 21st 2012, sometime in the evening. I said to myself, "I'm going to give a 100% go at this." I had 1 cigarette left in my pack when I went to bed that night. The next morning I smoked about 1/2 of it and put it out. I vowed to never put a cigarette in my hand ever again. And so far I haven't. I threw away all my ashtrays, lighters, and all the "marlboro miles" stuff I had gotten.

Smoking is not allowed in my home, on my property, or in my vehicle.

I had some of the nicotene lozenges left from one of my 1/2 way attempts, and I used them when I got bad cravings. They lasted me the first 3 weeks. I didn't buy more.

Someone on this site suggested I read all the information I could about quitting, and if I got a craving that is what I began to do.

I don't really get cravings anymore, more like passing thoughts, I guess the nicotene has been out of my system long enough that the physical withdrawals are gone.

I'm not different than you. I'm just a normal person who made a commitment one day to quit and stuck to it. Join me.

Olivia8

Seperating those smokes worked for me, now quit 2 weeks! It proved to me that if I could go 4 hours without smoking, then I could go 6 hours without smoking. Then, when I hadn't smoked all night at work, I did NOT buy that next pack. I never looked back after that first night of not smoking at work. Keep up the great work, you are doing it, step by step!!!