cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I'm Just Not Sure I Can Do This

gemgirl238
0 15 161

I know...how very positive for me to say, but it's the truth.  I know me and I know how I get.  I'm on my 5th day of not smoking and although it's easier than day 1 or 2, I still really want a cigarette.  My fiance keeps telling me that I'm stronger than this and that I don't need to smoke, but honestly I kind of do right now.  It depresses me knowing that smoking makes me feel better about myself, it comforts me and makes me feel like everything is going to be ok.  I was fired from my job in the mortgage industry last month, I've had a lot of stress at the home front and without my cigarettes I feel completely alone.  Anyway, enough negativity for me...I better go find something to do with myself that doesn't involve cigarettes.  Just have to keep telling myself...DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY CIGARETTES...I CAN DO THIS!!!

15 Comments
wanda4

One thing....you have to really want this quit....and you have to feel that its the only thing in life, dont give up, cus you will regret it, your here for a reason and thats to stop smoking, non smokers have problems to deal with as well, did you think that a smoker would be the only ones without problems??? No, so let it go, go forward, be determined, dont look back, and feel great about everyday accomplished....you can do it, go for it!!!

MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments
" />

zenagrin

remember who you are battleing with      - yourself

and who better to be able to push all the right buttons

argue with all the right points nad make you think you can't win

but TRUTH is you right now are fighting with one hand tied behind your back

you are still taking control BACK from an addicted enemy

you are slowly coming to fight this as a whole person against the demon

AND YOU CAN WIN 

JonesCarpeDiem

Kick it to the curb

va72lady

Yes we can do this.  I smoked for 55yrs and quit.  If I can, you can.   Shirley

sarah123

You know i was kinda in the same place a large part of the day. I just couldn't find away to releive the stress and wanted to feel like I aided it in the old way. Then I started a diary.... just for me. There are some things you really don't feel right about posting here or wouldn't say if you thought anyone else was gonna read it. It helped that and praying......your God is there for you too. Anyway I got the release i needed from the things going on around me and then the urge that had been there all day left.

Sarah

odie2001

You can do this.  I smoked for 25 years and have managed to quit.  I am the queen of making excuses to return to it, and I haven't done that this time.  Neither will you.  I'm on 58 days, and If I can remain strong enough, anyone can.

maggie_8-1-2010

http://www.whyquit.com/joel/dayzero.htm  go down about half way on the page and read about what to expect at the beginning of your quit. Hopefully it will help you. Congrats on making it to day 5! You CAN do this!

vickys79

If not now, then when? The one thing I have learned is that there is NEVER a better time to quit. No matter when you quit, you will experience withdrawal, cravings, urges. It will NEVER be easy. Right now, instead of thinking how miserable you are not smoking, think how lucky you are to have gone this long without polluting your lungs with all the horrible things they put in cigarette smoke. Take a deep breath. Doesn't that feel better than it did a week ago.  Focus on the positive.  These strong cravings will pass.  It took me about a month to get to where I didn't think about a cigarette constantly. Spoil yourself some other way today.  When you have a tough day, you deserve a reward.

laurie37

I thought that days 3, 4 and 5 were the hardest! You should feel lots better tomorrow! Maggie gave you a great link. You are doing this!!! Welcome to the group!

(((HUGS)))

Linda142

Also try http://quitsmokingonline.com knowledge is the key as Maggie says. Day 5 is brilliant!!

Mommaof2-3

You can and will get through it. I know exactly what you are feeling as do the rest of people here. Read the blogs of those who are ahead of in the game and it will make you want to reach that point. Then read the ones who are just begining and it will make you thankful you are past that point. Each person that post here has something to offer the other. Do not doubt yourself. And do not let your addiction tell you only it can make it better for you. Because it is not true. Only you can make yourself better. Smoking is not going to make the stress go away. It will still be there when you put out the cigarette.

CONGRATS ON GETTING THIS FAR AND YOU CAN MAKE IT FURTHER.. TAKE IT MINUTE BY MINUTE IF NEED BE.

gemgirl238

WOW...thank you everyone.  This seems like a great support system you all having going on here and it sounds like it's exactly what I need right now.  I decided to go out for a bit and instead of buying cigarettes I bought myself some things to make me feel good.  I bought a facial mask and facial moisterizer for my face because I have 3 months until my wedding and I want my complexion to look great.  I also bought hair dye because I love my dark hair even though it drives my parents crazy telling me I look like a vampire...haha!  And I bought a new nail polish...I have a huge love affair with nail polish.  I am feeling a little better than earlier, but I'm now at my parents house and my mother is a smoker.  I was here last night and was ok while she smoked, so I know I can do this.  I just hope today I don't give up...I must keep trying.  Thank you for the links Maggie and Linda.  I really am ready to quit this time because by now I usually give in and just say, "Oh well...I'll try again some other time."  I have been working through my personal stresses by blogging on blogger.com and I have to say that it does help a bit.  Ok...time for some water and a word game on my kindle...MUST KEEP BUSY!  Thanks everyone!

Strudel

Welcome to the site! Congrats on 5 days!! You can do this!!! Also try - Allen Carr's book - "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" -  

lynette9

Hey, Hon!!

You've come to the right place! And yep, pamper yourself through this, too. But you've been provided with GREAT links to read so do it!! Read, read and READ some more! Especially blogs.

Read other people's stories and it'll help you. We're all in this together, honest!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

mikefannin

When ever the urge to smoke comes, find something to do.  I go for a run or hit the heavy bag , start cleaning, work on the yard...anything to get through it.  Its day 9 for me, the urges come a lot less and shorter ...you have to stay strong !!!