cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I know I can do this!!!

kbarb68
0 18 203

Okay I just joined this website. I am feeling a little defeated because I quit for 28 hours and had a cigarette. I then read Allen Carr's quit smoking book and had a cig that very same night! I know I can do this! I want to do this! Just need to try again to fight that damn nic monster! Hopefully this website will help.

18 Comments
HealthyOrange

You can do this!  Many of us took many tries before we finally got solid ground under our feet.  Hang in there and do not give up!  You will make it!

kristen-9-7-15

Welcome! Keep on trying!

TerrieQuit

Welcome! and Hello! Don't fight with yourself about quitting. you obiously came here because you want to quit! Make the committment to yourself (promise) and quit! and make it a daily choice to quit! You can do this!!

Terrie  87  DOF

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. II am happy to hear you are ready Allen Carr.  That book really helped me, and a lot of successful folks here.

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. While you are preparing to quit, you might also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

paulh

you can do it! dont give up.

carolynt

Hi and welcome.  Don't be too hard on yourself just keep trying.  I'm 21 days today and I actually started by cutting to 4 cigarettes a day for a few days, then went to 3 and then decided to just see how long I could go without and it's been 21 days without today.  Still of course have moments of craving one but I do what several people on here have posted.  I just remind myself out loud that I don't do that any more.  Today it seems I've thought about smoking more than the last several days and I wrote a big note to myself and put it on the refrigerator.  It says "smoking is a CHOICE and today I'm choosing NOT to smoke!"  Hang in there and come to this site often.  It really has helped me.

Eric_L.

You can do it. Bookmark your days here.

JonesCarpeDiem

Put on your thinking cap. As long as you keep cigarettes around there will be more of a tendency to smoke them than not.

Thomas3.20.2010

Welcome! 

I would ask the same question. Where did that one sickerette come from? 

Make it hard to smoke. I don't have any smokes, no lighter or any ashtrays. It's a trip to the store, shell out close to $10 and go through the rigamarole. The more complicated and expensive to smoke the easier to say N.O.P.E. at least for today!

So if I'm not going to smoke, what shall I do instead? Today I did cardio, weight training, stretching, and cleaned the house for "Fall Cleaning." 

That's what really works. Use the best quit smoking tool in the World - YOUR BRAIN!

JACKIE1-25-15

Where are you gettting the cigarettes from?  You must clear out anything associated withtsmoking, lighters ash trays, butts, cig.  let's get started.  It is what you are willing to do to quit.  It does not happen over night you have to have a plan.

Puff-TM-Draggin

Echoing Dale, Thomas, & Jackie ... unless your going to flush your stash, your quit is bound to go down the toilet.  Nearly everyone here will tell you it's nearly impossible to stay clean if you don't wipe your butts.

= )

All jokes aside, make the commitment and relieve yourself  ... of your addiction, that is.

kbarb68

Thank you all for your amazing support!  I really do appreciate all your comments.  I will visit daily to stay encouraged!  Good luck to all of you as well. 🙂

John10forteen

GOOD for you! You can do this and you will be amazed how good it feels after getting past the addiction part. The more you learn about nicotene addiction, hopefully the MADDER you will get at "IT" and not yourself.

I found reading peoples earlier posts helped me out a lot because a lot of thier sufferings mimicked mine but they made it through.

Keep coming back here to share your prequit, quitting and finally your freedom stories. It's a great place to be during these hard times. WELCOME!

Zendlewise

I know you can do it. One thing that keeps me going is that vision of my future self suffering because of my selfish desire to smoke.  I have difficult times still....It is still early in my quit, and I find reading stuff here does help and has been very insightful.  You deserve a beautiful life, make it so.

OldBones-Larry

Everything above is terrific advise. Follow it and you will do fine.

Most importantly, you need to do one thing.

Give yourself permission to throw those sickorettes away and quit.

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry

MarilynH

I can't add a blessed thing to all the beautiful advice above, do what's suggested and believe in yourself and be willing to go through some rough days but quitting is absolutely doable and absolutely worth it. 

Marilyn 

freeneasy

You can-stick with this site!

kbarb68

Okay I am ready!  Changing my quit date to tomorrow!  House is all cleaned out of all ashtrays, cigs, butts and anything else related to smoking.  Also certain activities are off limits for a while.  I'm so excited for tomorrow.  Can't wait to get my smoke free life back!!!!  

Thank you all for your continued support and kindness.  Will keep you posted!

🙂