cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I have five days nicotine free

joyamber
0 9 25

I guess I just erased my really long post. I will summarize this is hell. I have been drinking alcohol to get through these 5 days and I am so scared I will relapse on my nicorette habit. I should have been blogging and getting help through the website but the two people said to wean myself off and that doesn't work with me so I have kept having it for since April 24th. and longer than that.  I always get the trial size which those 20 pieces lasts me a day because I always say this is the last 10 dollars I will spend on Nicorette. gum or lozenges doesn't matter.   Now I am wondering if I also have to go to AA to deal with this fairly recent realization that I may be an alcoholic too on top of a nicorette, diet soda, and fast food addict.  All these unhealthy habits. I just need to remember how bad it is financially, phyically, and emotionally, phycologially. Please help with any suggestions or advice. I feel so down about myself.

9 Comments
promise_judy

Wow, you have gotten yourself into a real mess. Maybe you are putting to much pressure on yourself and trying to do to much at one time. You can't change everything at the same time so why not just concentrat on getting off the nicorette. Nicotine in the nicorette makes you nervous and that certainely isn't helping. Have you done the reading on what it does? It really does change the way you think. As for alcohol while your trying to quit--that doesn't help. Alcohol is a depressant and nicotine seems to go with it by giving a drinker a kick start. MY suggestion is stop subtituting--think possitive and push through the addictions.

1. stop using the gum.

2. stop using the alcohol.

3. Do all the reading you can about addiction.

4. Come to the website and read all you can and blog, blog, blog.

5. Stop kicking yourself and start believing you can do this.

Congrats on 5 days being free from nicotine.

XOXO

linda.mustafa

Hi JoyAmber, congratulations on your five days, one day at a time 🙂

I don't know if you are an alcoholic , I guess  I'm not an expert to decode that for you but what I do know is that if you drink everyday large amounts, and you can't go a day without drinking, the problem with it with occure eventually !

How do I know this ?Because I did drink a lot and I stopped 8 months ago, my instinct told me to do it before its too late!

I had withdrawal symptoms of course but nothing major that needed doctors attention-why I'm saying this -because if you drink a lot and stop you must tell your doctor, for some people the symptoms are dangerous !!

I quit smoking 10 weeks ago and come to this site daily, to read and learn!

Read about the addiction /s , knowledge is power and you'll know what to expect !

Focus on your health and be positive , you will do this and live a clean and free if addictions life!

All the best:)

JonesCarpeDiem

How did you wean off of it?

You should probably been very direct with yourself and made a written daily check in that charted what you were doing. I believe if you aren't deliberate about it, it ain't going to happen.

your psychological mind needs to be in sync with your physical brain/addiction so you can experience the letting go on all fronts.

Nothing just happens. Why not take control of it?

I cant say the drinking is in direct response to not having nicotine.Nicotine is a stimulant, alcohol is a depressant I believe..

You should probably talk to your dr and get their advice.

moody_9-18-13

I think you've gotten some good advice. Please get some advice from a medical professional. It may be that you need a managed plan. I totally agree with Dale, the physical and psychological parts of quitting need to be in sync. 

joyamber

Thanks for the comments Judy, Linda, Dale, and Moody! I do need to be in sync psychological mind and physical brain/addiction and the doctor has already told me not to drink because it effects my medications.  All I can say is that I promise not to drink today and I will have 6 days of nicotine free in 5 hours. I just read about cross-addiction trading one addiction for another and I think I have that even though nicotine is a stimulant and alcohol is a depressant.  I am going to keep coming here and blogging and getting advice.  I don't see the doctor for a month.  He had given my chantix before and another drug that was supposed to help with addictive behavior and they didn't work for me for different reasons. I will try to focus on my health and be positive. 

Junior7

Sorry to say I don't have any brilliant wisdom to help you with.  But you will be in my prayers.  Hang in there!

lois2

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN TROUBLE, AND PLEASE DON'T DRINK,  I HAVE GOT TO GET OFF MY LOZ,  . GET A HOLD OF YOUR SELF. I KNOW IT IS HARD. 

brenda-again

Congrats on your five days.  Please follow the advice here.  wish you the best

joyamber

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. I am going to an AA meeting tomorrow and I realize I am just trying to trade one addiction for another.