cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I got to advise a doctor on how to talk to patients about quitting

Connie55
2 13 82

I was in the hospital for an outpatient procedure last week and when the anesthesiologist came into the room to talk to me about medicines he noted on my chart that I was an ex-smoker of 4 years after over 30 years of smoking. He seemed impressed enough that he asked me how I did it and if I had advice to give him to share with his others patients. He said he has heard that it is super hard to quit. The first thing I did was tell him about www.BecomeanEx.org. I told him to read over the info on this site and refer patients here. I also told him what he would learn here is that smoking is not a habit so much as an addiction to nicotine. I said that is the approach doctors need to take when talking to their patients about quitting. I told him to treat smoking just like you would alcoholism or drug addiciton (hence our motto of NOPE, right?). He seemed fairly shocked at this nugget of information so hopefully it helps him to understand this issue enough to better help his patients. I hope we see some newbies in here as a result.

13 Comments
NewMe

Glad you did this. I am often not sure Anyone who has never smoked understands what is needed in order to quit. I even found that the plan recommended by my health insurance was not very helpful at all, but I went through the motions anyway in order to have the extra tobacco surcharge removed from my weekly premiums at work. Luckily, I accidentally stumbled onto this site- and I'm absolutely certain this was the main factor that I was able to finally really quit after 44 years of smoking.

JonesCarpeDiem

"smoking is not a habit so much as an addiction to nicotine."

I stongly disagree.

Nicotine doesn't bring people who have quit back to smoking. The memories associated with smoking are stronger than the physical addiction.

Connie55

I agree with you Dale. The habit can bring them back when they get complacent and start to think they have beaten it and let those old memories come back. But an addiction is an addiction and that doesn't change. Those chemical receptors lay in wait to be turned back on. So I feel when trying to quit at the beginning you have to acknowledge the addiction and treat it with NOPE. But there is some habit to it that also must be dealt with. For me, I had to quit sitting on my back porch at night for a few months so I would not crave but now after 4 years, I can sit there anytime and not even think about it.

Thomas3.20.2010
I agree, Connie. Those memories that you refer to, Dale, are the Addiction! That's why they're hardwired. I used to crack my Knuckles but I don't remember the circumstances nor does that compel me to do it today - ever! We can lay down new neurotransmitter pathways through detachment but we can't get rid of the old ones. We can manage them and stay Smoke FREE!
JonesCarpeDiem

Nicotine keeps us coming back while we are using it. It doesn't bring us back.

the latest I've heard is that the nicotine receprors normalize in approximately a month.

If that's the case, a smoker is back to square one without the physical addiction.

Giving up the nicotine is the easy part. Unlearning what you've done20 times a day for  for 40 years, much more difficult. It's not a habit it's a Psychological Addiction.

YoungAtHeart

Does it bother anyone else that the doctor didn't KNOW anything about this addiction?!!!!

I changed family doctors because, when I was ready to quit, mine didn't have a clue, either.  He said," oh, just get some carrot and celery sticks and go to it." 

Nancy

koshal

having strong urges to smoke for the past week didnt visit this site for a while feeling better now that i did all the best folks

Connie55

My sisters doctor once told her if she couldn't quit smoking she should at least cut down to one or two a day. He had no clue that one or two was not an option. It was all or none. I bought Alan Carr's book and sent it to her. She succeeded in quitting and got a new doctor. 🙂

JonesCarpeDiem

🙂

elvan

Good for you, I have written down the website for doctors and for my oxygen provider...Mark Ex Admin has business cards....you can go to his blog and there is a confidential form to fill out your mailing information if you are interested, then you can actually HAND someone a card.  I am really happy that they are offering these.

I already congratulated you earlier but you cannot receive too many congratulations for your magnificent quit!

Mike.n.Atlanta

Attagirl Connie.

Keep on keepin on,

JonesCarpeDiem

Congratulations on 4 years!

Strudel

Great to see you! Congrats on your great quit!