cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I did it before...

littlemarcie
0 12 44

I did it before.  I quit before.  Hell, I went for 6 years without a cigarette.  Then I broke up and moved out of my fiance's in 2010 so I smoked for a few months and quit again.   I was fine until something happened to me in late 2013 and I started smoking again.  

I bought a vape in late 2015.  I was able to quit with the use of that vape January last year.  I HATED the taste of cigs after that.  I know what caused me to start again - a job position I accepted that might have been over my head at the time working for a company that frankly I was shocked that they even hired me. The stress and the long commute (2hrs), coupled with my new landlords rolling their own cigs and letting me have access to their backyard.  I justified it in my head because I was in a new career, this is natural tobacco, etc.  This was in late June.   I quit that position in September but haven't quit the smoking and smoke my old brand.  

It is 2017, I live alone and work in a field where people would be suprised and frankly, dissapointed, if they learned I smoke. I am even smoking in my apartment, which is something I never did.  It is rough because I work from home a lot prepping for clients and learning as much as I can  (I work for myself now and enjoy it very much even though the hustle is real).  I take my equipment and go from gig to gig, hopefully driving (when/if  I can get my car fixed) or standing around waiting outdoors for trains and buses.  With equipment. 30+ lbs.  At night.  In the cold.    

This time quitting is going to be a challenge.  Why?  Because I still identify as a smoker and I have go and dig deep down and find the strenght and the desire that kept me so strong 13 years ago.  I remember that day in 2004.  The last day of the fiscal year of my old career.  My co-worker and I stepped out to grab food to bring back to work. I remember smoking outside the deli, 3pm, tourists everywhere taking pictures (I worked right smack in the middle of tourist trap) and as I finished I told my co-worker this is my last cigarette.  No big prep.  No fanfare.  I just did it.  I remember I didn't have much of a choice at the time - my partner in my old hobby would complain all the time about the smell and since I was so excited to work with him it was worth quitting.  Plus I had other habits at the time that made not smoking cigarettes not as terrible.  

My current quit date I think is the 20th.  It is a Friday.  No particular reason why I chose that date except it is one of the days I have an early gig and it was the soonest date I could choose with an early gig so I could rush out of the house and not be home to think about it (even though my commute gives me lots of time waiting around outdoors).  I have to remember that if I continue to smoke I have to continue to hide the smell and continue to live a double life.  Without a car I have to go out of my way to get the cigarettes I like.  The cig money is money that is taking away from the money I could be investing in my business learning the best ways to help my clients.  I am also looking my age in an industry that embraces youthfulness and vitality.  

But if I am going to be successful I have to find reasons to quit for me.  Not for appearances or for others but for ME.  I still have a few days left.

Time to prepare for a first session with a new client.  Wish me luck - that I may effectively help her make the changes she wants to make, and that I find my deep down WHY that will help me be successful Jan 20 and beyond.  

12 Comments
c2q

I wish you success. No luck about it. You already know the one true reason it is time to quit. 

Reading this post, I want to say, don't be afraid of the fact that you can quit. You don't need smoking any more. I know you can do this.

JACKIE1-25-15

Quiting for yourself is the best quit forever. 

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and  http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Don't want to overwhelm you there is more to come from other members.

sophia-22

Hi and welcome if you like to listen to books below is the youtube link provided to me by Christine for "Easy Way to Stop Smoking"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd_MTSQ6kNM

crazymama_Lori

hop on my page if you wish and read some blogs.  the first 2 weeks are rough as is the first 30 days, then it gets easier and easier as each month passes.  Just keep telling yourself I'm not smoking today, I don't do that anymore, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.  if you have to take a drive down the road and scream your full head off then so be it.  Keep yourself occupied.  You find yourself crawling the walls, remove yourself and find something else to do, distract yourself.  Go for a walk, rip off some wallpaper or shelf paper.  Find something that requires some concentration but is physical.  For the next few months your concentration will be a little foggy but it will pass.  At around 6 months, the clouds will clear and you'll find yourself making more and more memories without smoking.  Hang in there.... this can be done.  My name is Lori.  I was a heavy smoker for 43 years at 2 packs a day.  I've been quit now for almost a year.  this can be done !!!!

Mandolinrain

So glad your here and it sounds like your doing what you need to do to make this quit successful! I wish you the best, you can do it!

Daniela2016

Please take the time to learn everything you can on this site before your quit day.  Even if you think you already know everything.  Read blogs, expecially of new quitters.  You'll find yourself going through the same things, and it is comforting to know you are not alone.  Read all the books, webpages indicated in many blogs here, they will give you additional support and understanding of reactions, frustrations, and how to best deal with them the first hours, days, weeks of your quit.

Welcome and you know this is feasible, you've done it before, you know all the benefits of being an EX!!!  Congratulations on being here and making the best decision for yourself!

idnar61

I wish you luck ! I am almost 2 weeks smoke free after smoking for 35 plus years. I had tried to quit in the past but with no success. A few weeks ago my husband (52 yrs old) had a massive heart attack which was basically from smoking. For him to quit was a no brainer.. for me on the other hand.. it has not been so easy BUT.. I am on my way. I read Allen Carr`s book.. Easier way to quit smoking and it actually has helped me to not pick up a cigarette. I have even stopped using NRT such as patches and lozenges. I am not saying that I don`t still have the over whelming cravings, because I do. I just  recognize and acknowledge each craving and am better able to change that thought  and not light up ! I cannot say that I feel like a non smoker as of yet.. BUT I am committed to myself that I will be soon !! Please do not give up , even if you slip up, you can do this! A few of the benefits that I am now seeing in myself.. no anxiety about leaving the house without my cigarettes, I can wear spray mists and actually smell them ! Not having to go outside in the flippin cold to have a smoke at work. (I live in Coloado) I was taking up to 1500 mg ibuprofen every day/every other day for muscle pain.. I haven`t had to do that since I quit smoking. I hope my story and continued journey can help you in some way! I know that the hardest step for me was to verbally ( out loud) tell my family and friends that I quit smoking. Once I made that commitment out loud, it made everything real to me and actually has given me the strength to move forward!  Stay on  becomeanex, everyone here is amazing and supportive. Don`t be afraid, just know that you can do it !! We are here for you!!

Randi 12-29-16

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read.

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Silverstar

Welcome!  This is a wonderful, caring and supportive community, a really good place to start and achieve your Forever Quit.  I had an 8 year quit, went back to smoking and smoked for another 23 years, cigarettes kill and they will trick you into going back to them! 

I was always ashamed to be a smoker, hid it when and where I could, not sure how many people I was really fooling, but I identify myself as a non-smoker now, and it feels like my true self, the person I was meant to be.  This takes effort, positive self-talk, and a total commitment to be Free from cigarettes, smoking, nicotine. 

You can do this, but please commit to it, do not allow yourself the choice, say "I don't do than anymore" to yourself as many times as smoking occurs to you, just don't smoke, no matter what!  All the suggestions, advice, tools you will find here, and in the reading, are meant to help you along with this, but the commitment has to be yours, and non-negotiable.

Stay close, do some reading, develop a plan and Quit Kit, and let us know how your first day goes.

TerrieQuit

Hello and Welcome! I am so glad you are here! I will send you some group links right before you quit! Just concentrate on the reading material for now! You can do this! Stay close and blog. Give and get support! ~Terrie~

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Connie55

By reading your blog, I noted that stressful events seem to be an ongoing trigger for you. Somewhere in your mind you are convinced that a cigarette will calm your stress. Since you quit once, your mind thinks it is easy to do and you can do it again so it seems that once you do quit, you become complacent and do not protect that hard earned freedom. Allen Carr's book will help explain addiction to you because thats what this is. An addict cannot pick up and puff NOT ONE cigarette no more than an alcholholic can have just 1 drink. To be permanently successful is not luck, it is determination  and most of all knowledge. Once you understand the addiction you have the tools to fight and win. Stay close to these good folks at Become An Ex. The coolective wisdom here is phemonenal.

maryfreecig

Welcome. Having a family of Exers is an excellent way to start your quit plan, and eventual quit.  So please keep blogging, keep showing up. The support here doesn't fade away!