cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I can breathe!

beyond65
2 15 31

I got that first day under my belt.  I am actually starting to get this done--instead of just talking about doing it.  I know food cravings will become an issue with me.  First, I must get these toxins out of my body (plenty of water and exercise) and get past the withdrawal, 3-7 days.  Then I will concentrate on managing cravings and how not to eat so much!

I will not smoke a cigarette today! (I put $5 in a box every day to represent the money I save.  Good incentive.)

15 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Very GOOD!

Thomas3.20.2010

This is how you do it! Keep up the good work!

I kept a plate of fresh crispy fruit and veggies around me at all times - bell peppers, radishes, jicama, apple slices, carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc... Crunchiness has it's own oral satisfaction and doesn't add to weight gain like processed foods.

smorgy8513

Good job.      It is sooooooo worth it!

One of the things I have done almost every single day since I quit is to go to the New Daily Pledge Group and grab the hand of the person ahead of me and promise no smoking for the day.    Then I hold my hand out to the next.

This is how we all make it......with the help of each other.

Come and join us.

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/8224818/let-your-quit-be-your-valentine/?offset=50

and don't forget to ride the Freedom Train in a bit after I get it fired up!

Sharon 935 DOF

JACKIE1-25-15

Good Job  3 days and the nicotine should be out of your system.  keep up the good work.  Withdrawal should lessen in 21 days or so.  5$ a day cool. It adds up. Treat yourself or save or something special.   

YoungAtHeart

Sounds to me like you are on your FINAL quit journey.  Don't worry too much about your eating in the earliest days of your quit.  Perhaps substitute a healthy snack in between the others?  You will have plenty of extra time AND energy when you are further along in your journey to work on any weight gain - not to mention enough money saved to join a gym if you wish!

GREAT job planning and preparing!

Past Day Won; on to Day Two!

Nancy

johio

Great Job. !!!! I like your $5 idea.

The average cost of a pack of cigarettes in the U.S. is $7.26. The low in VA @ $4.98 and the high in NY @ 13.50.

So a pack a day at $7.26 times 365 days = $2650.00 per year

5 years = $13,250.00

10years = $26,500.00

Now if there was a pile of $26,500.00 of "YOUR" money in front of us....what would we have to do to have your light it on fire.

Barbara145

Great job.  You are doing this.  Carry on!

NewMe

Great job. In the beginning, I would pay more attention to trying to distract yourself with a bit of exercise, or maybe a computer game-something to occupy both your hands and mind. They say you would have to gain a ton of weight to equal the damage of smoking. So, if you can convince yourself to gnaw on raw veggies or healthy snacks- that's good. But first get through the early phase without worrying too much about the weight.  You are doing great!

Kinterralynn

I'm setting aside the money too!  I'm up to $30 now.   At the end of the year I'll treat myself to something special, I just don't know what yet.

Great job!  You will kick this thing, just stay strong and guzzle ice water everytime one of those nasty monster cravings hit.

bonniebee

I have been 1 year quit after 51 years of smoking ! i wish i had put 5 dollars in a box each week ! i would have  1,915.00 now ! My money just seems to disappear in other things .

I am glad you are quitting i gained 10 pounds this past year not to bad but i do not like it !

I think quitting is worth the extra weight ! It leveled off after the first 6 months or so and I seem to be remaining the same weight now so don't worry about it now .

I coud not chew gum or eat candy mints because i got canker sores in my mouth if you can tolerate gum and mints they will help you curb your appetiteand need for something in your mouth .I found the straw trick very helpful ( ty Dale ) cut a straw into 3 pices and use it to chew on and hold it really helped me in the early weeks after awhile i just stopped needing it .

God Bless you ! i know you can do it !

PS I am so glad you can breathe !!!! I noticed right off how quickly my lungs began to improve and deep breathing through the craves really helped me !

Jennifer-Quit

Great job - that is how you (and all of us) do it!  One day at a time!  That money will add up quickly - treat yourself to something special!

bonniebee

Sorry about the typos ......I should really read my comment BEFORE I hit post !

TerrieQuit

Great job on your quit! I gained weight at first but am now begining to lose it! Keep smokes away from your face!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

elvan

Don't spend too much time worrying about the eating...take care of the quit.  Drink lots of water and maybe suck on sour candies, I did and it blew my craves away as I was puckering up and trying not to show how uncomfortable I was...you are really doing well.  You planned this well and putting away the money is a great idea.  I put away $100 a month and planned for a stress free Christmas!

joedice711

you are going to do grea t,just take one day at a time.i buy rolls of quarters every week.this way i won,t touch the money i put away....the quarters go in a big 5 gal jug.