cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I began having symptoms 6 months after I quit and was diagnosed with type 2 at eleven months.

JonesCarpeDiem
0 11 133

I did a real lousy job going to the Dr.in all the years before I quit.I only went when I cut my thumb off, or severed my foot, you know, emergencies when I had no choice. Back then I was paying 20 thousand a year for a family of three with 2 five thousand deductibles so I had to pay for everything until those deductibles were met.

A roommate before I moved from LA to Oceanside told me he heard me stop breathing a lot when he was working at his desk in the adjoining room.

I did nothing about it until 3 years ago when I ordered a tester sent to my home and discovered I stopped breathing 400 times in one night. I finally got some coverage and had a sleep study and have used a cpap machine ever since.

My brother's doctor told him when you stop breathing your heart works like you are climbing Mount Everest trying to get oxygen.

In other words, take care of yourself. Don't just let things go if at all possible.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/living-with/sleep-apnea-connection/?pos=1&xid=nl_Every...

11 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

There's something contrary about going to the Doctor as a smoker. We either hide our smoking from the Doctor or we have to buck up for the lecture about quitting that we don't want to hear. And we know we're doing wrong by our bodies.

Sorry to hear about your diabetes, sleep apnea and esophagus. We're paying a da@% high price for our Addiction! Ticks me off! 

Take care of you, Dale! We need you!

KMC56

I worry about that with my spouse...it scares the holy crap out of me....and he won't use the machine...take care Dale.

MarilynH

I am so glad that you are taking care of yourself now Dale, yikes on your thumb and ouch about your foot too, no more injuries for you ok? 

elvan

CPAP has saved a lot of people.  Unfortunately, a lot of people don't go to the doctor, just like you.

YoungAtHeart

Cautionary tale for you all.  My ex-boss' husband starting rear ending cars in front of him - turns out the message they were stopped was not making it to the appropriate part of his brain.  They started noticing other things, as well.  The neurologist tested him for alzheimers and dementia and it was determined neither were the cause.  He finally settled on this diagnois:  his untreated  sleep apnea,over the years had deprived the same area of his brain over and over and over ---- and it pretty much atrophied.  He goes for walks now and can be gone for 5+ hours - he has no concept of time, and then he doesn't have ANY idea where he is.  He isn't allowed in the kitchen unattended.  He is a young 66.

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Thanks for the link, Dale. Good information. I am glad you are taking care of yourself now!

I find it much easier to face Drs. now that I don't smoke. Thursday I have an appointment with the neurologist and I will be able to proudly say I haven't smoked for 423 days!

Don't Quit on your Quit!

exldysmoker

Glad you are able to care for yourself these days, I hope you are able to rest better!

bonniebee

Hi Dale I have had problems with waking up with empty lungs and then a gasp for air for sometime now . I avoided being checked because I had other health issues to address but that one probaby was the one I should not have refused . My doctor is now setting up a sleep study for me should get a call this week with an appt . As you probably know I had some heart trouble last week abnormal EKG , Echogram and blood tests .No blockages but stress cardiomyopathy was  diagnosed I would not doubt if it goes back to sleep apnea ...I will know soon .

JonesCarpeDiem

I was a little apprehensive about the sleep study Bonnie but the person is usually in the next room with a microphone and cameras on you and they tweak the pressure to see what works the best for you, they may see if a bipap suits you. If you have copd it helps you exhale as wejj as inhale.

They will run you throgh ther tests and you will come out with the pressure settings you need.

Daniela2016

Yes Dale, please take care of yourself.  My husband also spent a night at the clinic, and used the cpap machine for a couple of years before it broke.  It's been too long since I asked him to fix it, and read him the story Nancy published last night about her ex-boss' husband.

As you all might know, I also have type 2 diabetes, and I am thinking more and more my stressful job is highly contributing.  I exercise when I can, I watch what I eat when I can, last night I was hungry and worked till 10:30 pm, and ate before I went to bed.  Got up with a fasting BG of 160, not good at all.

Enjoy your day, and use the machine at night, please!

paulh

Thanks Dale. My girlfriend wants me to do a sleep study also and I have been putting it off. My blood pressure has been higher than normal lately and after reading your post I am going to make it a priority.

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.