cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I am home and playing a waiting game

Wanda45
0 10 202

Thank you all for the encouragement, love, and hugs I received from my post yesterday.  I really needed to say what I said yesterday more for me than anyone else.  To convince me how stupid it is to continue to smoke, when all I have to do is put them down.  I am preparing to quit.  I know better than anyone else that it has to be done.  I know how difficult it is and I know that there are wonderful folks here who will support me, and help me.  

I have been discharged from the hospital and have to take it easy, the doctor's are making a game plan, and will call me Monday with a schedule for surgery.  I will be going to Dallas to Baylor for the surgery.

I am glad to be home, and look forward to sleeping in my bed tonight.  I have to take it easy, monitor the blood pressure, and I have to practice "pitiful".  I can't get out in my yard to weed my flowers.  I told my daughter, I can't lift anything so she and the boys have to do the clothes and wait on me.... I might actually enjoy this.

This morning around 2:00 my nurse assistant came into the room to take my blood pressure.  He is a cute little Asian dude named Rey.  The machine started, stopped, and restarted.  All of sudden he screams, and starts patting the machine.  I asked what was wrong, then the machine displayed my blood pressure, and he giggled and danced like Sponge Bob and Patrick chasing jelly fish.  Then he says "This machine was trying to tell me the pressure is at 200, but I won and it is 114."

I promise he acted like a machine whisperer. 

They did take it again and it was good.

Have a good night, and know you are wonderful folks that I care about very much.

Wanda

10 Comments
Chuck-2-20-2011

I'm sorry I missed your blog from last night but just read it and am very happy that you're now home. Just curious though. Did you smoke when you got out of the hospital? Glad that you'll be OK either way! Looking forward to your success, both in quitting and in health!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

elvan

I just commented on last night's post because I was so sick yesterday and I really could not keep going.  I was stunned to read about the aneurysm and your blood pressure...Wanda, this is nothing to mess with.  PLEASE don't smoke, PLEASE take care of yourself for yourself and your family.  Aneurysms are like ticking time bombs.  You are seriously lucky that they found it and are going to be able to repair it.

I am really glad that you are here.

YoungAtHeart

I know your own bed will feel extra special good tonight!

It sounds like you smoked when you got out of the hospital----that's a shame because you had a couple of days quit under your belt. 

Are you going to wait until after the surgery to quit, then?  I hope the aneurysm holds while your veins constrict from the inhalation of nicotine.    You ARE playing with fire, ya' know?

Let us know how we can help you get free of this!

Nancy

Wanda45

Thank you.  I am glad to be home.. both here and at my house.

Wanda45

Yes I did smoke, I am aiming for Sunday to quit, got to get a few things together.

YoungAtHeart

I am SO happy to hear this!  Remember - there is never a good reason to smoke!!!

Nancy

P.S.  Let me know if you need links to any of the prep reading.

Strudel

I am glad you are home....I caught up and read your other blog. I certainly hope that they do the surgery soon and that all goes well. Wanda - I know you can do this - what it takes is for YOU to know it! Sending prayers and good thoughts your way! 

Giulia

" I have to take it easy, monitor the blood pressure, and I have to practice "pitiful".  I can't get out in my yard to weed my flowers."  No, you don't have to practice "pitiful." Not in your head anyway.

I'm about to have ankle surgery that will put me out of commission for up to (worst case scenario) 12 weeks.  That's three months. That's three months on not being able to weed my garden.  That's called a jungle in my book.   I'm ready to deal with that scenario.  You need to be ready to deal with quitting smoking.  

diamond01

you can do it, I am on day 1 and did fine, everyone here will get us through, my peace be with you, Helen.

elvan

Thinking of you Wanda45‌ and sending huge hugs!

About the Author
I am retired from accounting, a grandmother to 13, mother to 4. I quit smoking 3 years ago for 1 1/2 years but started again. I have now quit. I love to play on my laptop, work in my garden, visit friends, and have church activities. I am relatively healthy for an old woman and hope I have many years left to aggravate my children.