cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I LOVE MY QUIT!!!

djmurray
0 18 22

Who thought that a (very) chubby, out-of-shape, donut eating 66 year old smoker (as of December 31, 2014) could be a happy, non-smoking, eating healthy and working to be in better shape 66 year old woman a mere four months later?  Not me!!  And this quit is the key to all of it.  I couldn't say for sure on Day One that I could make this my final quit.  I wanted that really badly, but I was still afraid.  But as each day has passed in this quit I have learned more about myself, felt better about myself and respected myself more than I have maybe ever.  I worked hard in my life to overcome depression, and I have been pretty successful at that.  But I can't think of anything I've done that has had this effect on me -- to make me want to do more and more to actually take care of myself.  I graduated with honors from law school, and I was very proud of that, but it didn't really have as much to do with how I felt about myself as it was what others would think of me.  I would get a good job, good pay, and have respect.  There's a place for that sort of thing (although as many of you know, I don't practice law anymore because I came to HATE it).

The point is that when we say here that quitting is the most loving gift you can give yourself, I am living it.  I am benefitting every moment of every day from not putting toxins into my body, of course, but also from my awakened sense of (corny as it probably sounds) self worth.  I think that's the source of the great joy I have been experiencing.  I believe I understand it now.

So, all smokers are afraid of quitting, every smoker I know of was full of trepidation as they put out their last cigarette, we worked through the first few days with somewhat grim determination, and then the beauty of quitting started to show through.  Suddenly we were more focused, we weren't huddling out in the cold to satisfy our addiction, we smelled better, we weren't spending all that money to feed the addiction.  We kind of expected those benefits and they felt good.  But the surprises started happening --  the increased self-respect, the ability to deal directly with feelings, good and bad.  

So here I am again, saying how much I love my quit.  And I hope I can do something to help others love their quits as well.

18 Comments
MarilynH

Congratulations on your absolutely wonderful quit, you have a great attitude and you definitely are rocking your forever quit. 

Eric_L.

I always enjoy your blogs!  Ive always tried to quit b4 for all these other reasons or other people. There is still some of that.  But im trying to stay mindful that this is something really good for me and that with support I can do it.

Barbara145

You go girl.  Law degree, I didn't know that.  Very impressive.  You are pretty amazing.  When you put your mind to something, wow! end of story.  Congratulations on your awesome quit.  I know you will keep rocking it!

Strudel

You have just made someone with almost 5 years quit - cry! This is one of the reasons I stick around here - being reminded, by beautiful blogs like this - how absolutely glorious this journey is! Thank you!! 

sparky26

Thank you Donna , your words speak for so many of us hear ,who knew ?

sparky26

I love my quit too !!!! ^-^

YoungAtHeart

What everyone should aspire to become  (and thank you for this)  -

A HAPPY QUITTER!

It IS possible and you are the proof!

Nancy

joyeuxencore

Beautiful friend. Just beautiful. xo

bonniebee

Donna congratulations on your fantastic quit ! I hope I can grow to love my quit as much as you do or even a fraction of that would be fine with me !

JonesCarpeDiem

YAY!

Bee_Jay

Your blogs make me feel better too. Thank you so much!

hnolan

Wonderful for you! Thanks for being such an inspiration to this newbie. I LOVE reading your blogs!

Giulia

)  Doubt not for a second that you have helped other's on this journey, just by the telling of your own.  It is quite a remarkable journey - this quitting process.  That's what I try to get across - what we all try to get across.  It's so much more than just stopping smoking.  You discover things about yourself you may have never encountered before.  It's an enriching  period of self-discovery - if you choose to see it that way.  And even if you don't - that's what's going to happen anyway.  The joy is when it's discovered.  And you have discovered that joy and are trying to pass it on.  More power to you!

annb
"LIKE" Button!!!!!
freeneasy

Congrats and well done!

smorgy8513

Your blogs are refreshing, inspiring and make me feel strong!

I agree, the more I go along this journey the more I become motivated to do more in other areas.      I've lost weight and now I'm going to start walking.     You have inspired me in that area as well.

Thanks for being here!

Sharon

JACKIE1-25-15

Marvelous Darling!

tjanddj

You are such a joy! Let's keep opening the doors on our health journey, it is so much fun to see what is on the other side! I am so glad your daughter has joined us on this journey.