cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I Have set my quit date

samanthad
0 9 22

I Have set my quit date for 6/10/14. i really hope that i can do this. would love any comments or advice i can get. One of my main concerns is that i will gain more weight. trying to lose at least 20 pounds looking for some help.

9 Comments
elvan

Read, read, read...everything you can about addiction and prepare yourself starting today.  As for the weight, I had worries about that too but I put it on the back burner and I haven't really had any issues with weight gain.  I HAVE been drinking tons of water to detoxify my body and it helps to keep my appetite down, I think.  

Welcome to EX.  If you want to quit, you have come to the right place and you will get a great deal of support.  There will always be someone here who is where you are or who has been where you are.  This group works miracles!

Ellen

brenda-again

Hi Samantha. Your quit date is the day before mine.  If you check the group sections on ex you should find some groups that will address your concern.  If you drink lots of water and choose foods carefully you should be ok.  here's something i got out of my newspaper a while back.

Healthy Eating

Eat more fruits and Vegetables

include whole grains

Consume fewer processed foods

Reduce your intake of salt, sugar, and trans fats

Enjoy saturated fats, meat, and animal protein only in moderation.

This is a guide for normal heatlthy diet if you have been prescribed something special from your doctor you should always follow that.  Welcome aboard sweetie come see my page if ya need anything.

Jennifer-Quit

Welcome and good luck to you.  I am on day 27  and would not have made it without this site.  Soooo much support here!  I am concerned about gaining weight also but I have really changed my eating habits also.  Lots of fruits and veggies.  No fried foods.  No fast foods.  No sugar.  I eat about 5 small meals a day and drink lots of water.  I treat myself once a week to one meal - anything that I want - pizza, mexican, whatever!  Then its back to healthy eating.  I haven't lost - but I haven't gained either.  Sometimes, the cravings can seem like hunger so be sure before you eat that you are really hungry and its not just the nicotine cravings. 

indnprincess

"Sometimes, the cravings can seem like hunger so be sure before you eat that you are really hungry and its not just the nicotine cravings."  Jennifer above has all the things I am doing.

I have more energy and since I breathe better, exercise is more pleasant. Find something you love to do and do it!

Lisa

stadtlerj

Hi Sam,

It has only been about 19 days for me so far so take this knowing my experience is little.

I really did start eating a lot mainly out of boredom, everytime I ate I didn't think about smoking.

I had lost 25 pounds this last year and got to my ideal body weight from eating clean and exercising and of course portion control as you know there is no easy way to do any of this it is just damn hard period. I think reading all these peoples struggles is very helpful as we are all going through the same thing.

Any way after spending a whole year dieting I no longer diet I just eat right and don't have the desire I use to have for all the crap I use to eat. So I decided I didn't want to gain any weight while I quit smoking and so far I haven't. My food cravings were really strong the first week or two but seem about normal now. I walk every day which feels good but I think it helps me not to want to smaoke.

It is very difficult but it certainly can be done and you can do it, unfortunately it is one day at a time and you really have to want it and you have very good reason to quit..

Good luck to you,

Jim

GreenThumb3

Lots of healthy snacking sugar free gum helped me excersize I did gain some weight but it's almost gone now blood preasure is better my pulse is much lower in excersizing it's so worth it a lot of people say its heavier to carry an oxegyn bottle around with you don't let the thought of weight make you fail first few weeks do what you have to do if you gain a few just keep going there is no comparison for health 

linda258

Welcome... you can do this... and it is better to gain a little weight than to smoke yourself to death.  take one step at a time.

moody_9-18-13

The MOST important thing you can do is educate yourself about nicotine addiction by reading, reading and more reading… Congratulations on the best decision you could possibly make for yourself and your loved ones…

We suggest a 'quit kit' composed of a list of distraction techniques and things to help you through like cinnamon sticks, crunchy things (carrots, celery, chips some hard candy, lots of water), lemons…biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer and taking a deep breath gets you through.

It takes the mindset that we aren't giving up anything...we are doing it because we want to and not signing up for a lifetime of deprivation but a lifetime of freedom...that is the personal journey no one can take for us...We will be here for you every step of the way!

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

Understanding nicotine addiction:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

Helpful in the first days:

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_21_blood_sugar.html

http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/22890/Possible-Change-in-Caffeine-Tolerances-After-Cessation

(I do not believe in reinventing the wheel and when words work, even when written by someone else, use them to help others! So, thank you Teddy Joy for the above message! It sure helped me quit all those months ago!)

lois2

forcus on your quit right now than lose weight. because i need to lose weight also. one of the teacher at School lost a bunch of weight she said no suger or bread.  well i will lose some later.