cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I Finally Found Some Shelter!

lpears
0 7 14

Avoiding these land mine like cravings through no mans land is hard work! 

I am TWO days away from 60 days. Woo hoo!!!! 

However, I feel like for the past week, my non smoking life has hit a reset button. I am triggered by stuff I haven't been triggered by before. I am having cravings at moments I have never had cravings before. Even triggers that I have retrained my brain for, are all coming back. 

For example, the other morning I woke up and got a cup of coffee and wanted a cigarette. I said outloud, "Hey! Cut that out! I don't smoke anymore." I haven't had a morning cigarette craving easily since day 15. The next day I saw someone smoking and felt like a dog on a leash being told to heel. I was ready to jump on the opportunity for a cigarette. 

Now, I have not and WILL not give in to all of these cravings. I still carry my emergency kit (cold water, gum, mints, stress ball ect.) around with me and have managed to get through the rough moments. I'm just a little confused at why this started all of the sudden. 

I know no mans land is rough and I was expecting cravings, but this seems like a serious reset on all of my work. Is this common or am I just losing my marbles. 

7 Comments
OldBones-Larry

Nic O Demon is trying to keep you from killing him. He will do anything to accomplish that. It's very hard, but you have to wear that SOB out and kill his nasty a$$.

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry the Caravan Master

YoungAtHeart

Yup - you are traveling No Man's Land.  Everyone's experiences can be a bit different - and you sound like you are having a rough trip!

Do know that these craves will end.  You just have to work to distract yourself through them.  I am SO glad you were prepared for them!  It seems unfair you have to work, yet again, to honor your commitment - but I promise it will be SO worth it!

You'll get through this - hang in there. 

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

unexpected cravings. The signature of no mans land

LouiseR
Go to Dales page and read again about nml, what you are going through is normal. Protect that quit and kick the nicodemon to the curb, please know it gets so much better, you are doin great!
lpears

Dale - I have my sanity because of you. THANK YOU!

Thanks for all the support! I really appreciate it. It's a lot easier than it could have been with all the ideas and advice I got. There is a reason I keep that emergency pack!!! 

You guys rock 🙂 

joyeuxencore

Please remember that nicotine is such a powerful

brain chemistry addiction.

Your brain has been accustomed to a constant in flow of nicotine and the billions of brain receptors built over the years that subsequently released ‘dopamine’ the natural feel good chemical have been starved and are closing down  so that makes you FEEL a kind of strange emptiness or ‘boredom’ or anxiousness or triggers at all kinds of moments…

It is such an insidious process and that is why we recommend all the reading on www.whyquit.com so you can continue to undo the ‘brainwashing’ of years of chemical dependency. It is totally normal to feel triggered right now…

Laughing helps as it also releases dopamine. I watched a lot of youtube videos! You are doing great! HUGE congrats on 60 days...amazing accomplishment...xo

helenb208

Hi, I am on 63 days now, and I am having the same problem, I smell a cig. and I think I want one it is so hard, I think this is as bad now as when I started, but I will make it,  good luck, we will make it!!!! Helen.