cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Hypnosis For Quitting Smoking-Ever Tried It?

tinat3
2 11 26

Hi!  My name's Tina.  I'm so glad I found this site.  I am really ready to quit smoking.  I know that a lot of people have tried different things to stop smoking.  Some people have used the patch, and gum, and Chantix or e-cigs.  I know that these things all work for different people.

I'm more drawn to more "natural" ways of quitting smoking, things like acupuncture and homeopathy etc.

I really want to overcome my smoking addiction, so I'm thinking about trying hypnosis.  I've listened to a lot of the free hypnosis vidoes over on Youtube (here's one I like: https://youtu.be/xmYi1HjRt-A).

If anyone has an experience or advice about using hypnossi to quit smoking i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

11 Comments
Barbara145

I smoked for 52 years.  I was hypnotized several times.  I think in a group 3 or 4 times and privately at least 2 times.  Ex and nicotine relpacement are what finally worked for me.  If you truly want to quit.  You will figure it out.  Coming here at least 1 time a day is what most of us think is the ultimate tool.

Terri103

Well, the most natural way I can think of is 1)decide you are willing to do what it takes to leave smoking behind  2) throw the cigs away  3)come to this site as often as you need to and read, share, care about others  4)drink lots of water to clear out your system.

I chose the patch system only because it was a job related support offer.  It worked for me because it is a passive way to get nicotine while I unlearn bad habits and shut down the triggers.  There are plenty of people that do the cold turkey quit.  

What is do believe though, is make a plan that you can put your trust in, and then stick with the quit plan.  

You will never regret the decision to quit!!!   

Em_12

Welcome TinaT! Sounds like you're on your way to being quit - that's awesome! 

Like you, natural remedies appeal to me too. Acupuncture was helpful to me when I quit years ago but I haven't used it during my "forever quit," (this time 'round.) What has been most beneficial to me has been this support community, low-impact exercise and meditation. 

Message me if you'd like me to share meditation resources with you! Keep in touch - we're here to support each other!

JonesCarpeDiem

I've heard stories of term success here, like a year or two and then relapsing so I have no idea of any longer term success beyond that time.

You might want to click on my cat and read my page. It explains the whole quitting process.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I only know anecdotally about hypnosis.  The few people I know who tried it quit for a short period - but then started back up.  Perhaps relearning life as a nonsmoker is the key and they didn't do that?

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. I used Chantix - but only for the week before I quit and two weeks after (I ended up in the hospital.) But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.  If you don't like the idea of NRTs or other medications, what we call "smart turkey" (cold turkey) might be for you.  If you can practice deep breathing through any uncomfortable times, that should be relatively easy for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Strudel

Becoming educated about this addiction is what worked for me - plus the support here. Be sure to do the reading Nancy gave you and I also like the free course at - http://quitsmokingonline.com/

Read and be sure to stick around here - you can do this! 

elvan

I did try it once and I would say that it "helped"...I stayed smoke free for three and a half weeks.  Nothing, and I mean, nothing worked for me like education and support and finding this community which provides both.  I have been smoke free now for over a year and without this site, I would never have made it.  Come here every day, more than once a day, if you can and blog, read, interact with the people here, you can never learn too much about addiction,  

Welcome to EX, the most natural way to quit!

Sootie

Welcome Tina! 

I LOVE Ellen's new "slogan"----EX----the most natural way to quit.  HOW TRUE!

You have come to the best place to quit. If you do the readings and stay in touch here through the blogs.....you won't need anything else to stop smoking....except your own hard work.

Yes-----can't sugar coat it.....quitting smoking does take some work and determination. But is is VERY DOABLE-----NOT IMPOSSIBLE. 

Again---welcome to EX---we are all here for each other.

bonniebee

Hi Tina I used the patch but in the beginning during my first month or two I used thre self hypnosis on youtube It may have helped I am not sure but i did it a few times and found it very relaxing and it helped with my "breathing " to quit . I smoked for 51 years and today i think i am on day 143 I needed all the help I could get in the beginning and I still need the help of Ex the most !

Thomas3.20.2010

Hi, Tina

Studies show that what you believe will help you quit - will!

That's because Nicotine Addiction is a Brain disorder and the Brain has a way of getting us out of the disorder as well. It also EXplains why BecomeanEX is so effective! 

So if you believe hypnosis is the answer to your forever quit - it will be! It may be a placebo but there's nohing wrong with that as long as it's effective!

I quit Smart Turkey 5+ Years ago with the help of BecomeanEX!

jojo_2-24-11

Hi Tina, So happy you made the decision to quit smoking, one decision I don't regret. I have 2 friends who are quite successful with quitting useing hypnosis,I think it's been close to 9,10 years for each of them. I, myself was looking for a group hypnosis when I stumbled onto this wonderful site. Here I am some 4 years later a non-smoker. I believe where there is a will, there is a way, no matter what way, quitting smoking is the healthiest choice anyone could ever make. In my personal opinion, this site along with all the members play a huge part in the support of nicotine addiction. Do the homework, prep work, and always ask for help if you need it!