cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

How to keep the weight off!

markermomma
0 6 41
So I have been reading a lot of blogs and posts about weight gain, the fears and such. What if you could quit without thise fears and become healthy all while quittimg? I have challenged myself and perhaps it will help others as well! I lost 40 pounds in the last year and a half and obviously worry about gaining it all back. I have chosen to exercise in place of those smokes! Everytime a craving hits... before you head outside or light that smoke you have to do 10 sit ups, 5 pull ups, lunges, squats, jumping jacks, several laps up and down the stairs etc... This can work on several levels... 1> you have to do something physical Before you smoke. 2> You have now taken your mind off of smoking for those few minutes 3> You have put the urge on hold 4> you are not picking up food in place of smoking. Once you did your exercise if you still NEED to smoke then do so but chances are while exercising your mind had moved onto something else. Your endorphins have increased and your blood flow and metabolism has increased your oxygen levels creating a calm and peace in you that will fight those urges! Good luck and go get healthy!
6 Comments
YoungAtHeart

I personally couldn't do a pull-up if you paid me a LOT of money to do it!!!  But - for those younger,  healthier and quitting, this is a great idea.

Exercise is ALWAYS a help when you quit smoking - to get ready or to get past a crave. 

Nancy

Legend

Congratulations on the weight loss that is fantastic. You can do this stay positive.

markermomma
Nancy... you may not be able to do a pullup, but there is so many other things you could do! Extra laps around the kitchen perhaps. You dont have to be young or "in shape" to get in shape! You can do it!
Thomas3.20.2010

I agree with the exercise suggestion. Another thing that works well - although counterintuitive - is to eat 6 to 7 small meals a day rather than 2 or 3. It keeps your metabolism burning smoothly and you don't get hungry and overeat. I stay away from processed foods of all types (it also saves you a lot of money!) I've found myself eating more fruit and veggies and less meat and high carbs that way.

maryfreecig

I gotta stick with first things first, second things second. My weight shot up by 8 pounds over the first six months (about average). Once I got my footing in my quit, I put my mind to minding my appetite and diet better. The pounds have come off . No matter, first and foremost, I protect my quit above all else. 

If you are strong enough to quit and watch your health/diet at the same time high five to you!!!

Barbara145

I think focusing on your quit instead of weight is a recipe for success.  

For many of us that is what we needed to do for a successful quit.   Whatever works.