cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

How many days does it feel like torture?

amanda30
0 9 48

Looking for advice from those who have been successful...I have unsuccessfully attemted to quit many times...but with my quit date tomorrow, I'm planning ahead for whats to come.  I know day 1 flies by, and 2 is full of ups and downs, but 3 seemed to be where I always failed on previous attemts.  I'm looking for input on what day it quits feeling like obsessive torture, (ex: day 5 or day 10?)  Thanks ahead for the input!

9 Comments
froguelady

Day 3 is very hard but you can get through it.  Keep a positive attitude and stay away from your triggers if possible. The rest of the nicotine is leaving your body and it wants it back, just stay strong and it will get better as days go by.

warriorprincess

I think the hardest time for me was day 6 7 and 8  I felt very emotional about all of it. I was mad, depressed, and angry. I just kept telling myself I didnt want to have to go through this agian and this was the last time I was gonna do this. I kept telling myself that it is a total mind game and that I can do it. Im on day 14 today and its getting easier and easier.

roosmom

THe first few weeks are hard, I will not lie to you, but the overwhelming sense of accomplishement when you get  two weeks under your belt will boost your will power. YOU can DO THIS. There is no turning back, keep going forward a minute and hour a day at a time. Find ways to cope with the temptation by cleaning ,walking, chewing gum, drinking water, anything to keep your mind off it.

Committ to quit

FOREVER

Ex_Nancy

There is no torture! Torture is a slow death from smoking...try breathing through a straw for 10 minutes, that is COPD from trashed lungs...or trying to survive lung cancer after 5 years of treatment...only to tell your children that you are going to die anyway...the only way to get the facts and the correct mind set you need is to read about this addiction and the mind games it plays on us...

The most important thing you can do for your quit now is to educate yourself about the addiction and the mind games it plays on us....READ,READ,READ for a successful quit...the more you read, the easier it is...

CHOOSE to quit smoking, not try. Educate yourself by reading these links to the materials that most of us have used to help us quit and STAY quit! This is about making a DECISION to never put another cigarette in your mouth, mean it, and be committed to follow through on that decision. Also allow NO excuses AND hang in there for as long as it takes, no matter how uncomfortable you become.... This is about re-learning your life WITHOUT cigarettes....start changing your "normal" routine....because a smoker's routine revolves around cigarettes. You will be a nonsmoker so change how you start your morning so it doesn't revolve around cigarette breaks, etc. You CAN do this! ....http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/Allen_Carr_s_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_Download_free_PDF

http://quitsmokingonline.com

jojo_2-24-11

It's not torture unless you let it. This is such a great thing you are doing for yourself and your loved ones. When I lay my head to rest at the end of the day I thank God that I don't smoke anymore. I did, for 40 years. I attempted to quit 3 times before this and I fought with myself every step of the way except this time, my final quit. I thought in the past that once I got to a certain point in my quit, I could smoke whenever I wanted. Don't ask where I conjured up that notion. I guess maybe because I always thought that I had a smoking habit. Once I realized I was a nicotine ADDICT, I had to quit. I could not die an addict. I take very deep breathes when a smoking memory hits me.

lisa11209

All good advice above.  Like Jojo says, say thank you for each day of not smoking, be grateful to give up the drug we are addicted to, the discomfort is leading to freedom.  Know that each nicotine dose just sets you up for craving more nicotine, that is the addiction cycle. 

JonesCarpeDiem

sounds like you are making the "3 day plan to fail" to me

you've already decided that since that's where you failed before, that's where its going to happen again.

dissconnect from those past failures. they are not going to help you in this.

shill57957

Remember you are in charge of your quit, not your quit in charge of you.  You set the tone.  Be positive, Happy and Excited.  You are starting a journey to Mt. Freedom.  The most wonderful place to be.  

Do your homework, it is soooooooooo important.  Quitting smoking is easy.  Staying quit takes knowledge about the addiction to nicotene that we have.  Read the Allen Carr ebook that Nancy gave you the link to.  It will help. 

Day 299 here, not a craving since day one.  

MoeUnfiltered
Listen there is no way through it but through it.I am a former 3.5 pack a day smoker. I never thought I would live through quitting but I did with some hand holding from my fellow Exer's and the grace of God. I have been quit since 2/5/10. My advice is to get creative with your quit, try things that specifically comfort or nurture your spirit--walking,hard-candy,poetry, blogging. Jump in with both feet! Moe