cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

How do I stop the social habit!

jamie39
0 4 29

I don't consider myself to be a heavy smoker. There are days when I don't smoke, and days when I may only have one or two. When I buy a pack it typically lasts about 3 days. I don't require a cigarette in the morning, I don't smoke after meals, I don't even smoke when I drive. I don't think I have an addiction to the nicotine, I think I'm more addicted to the social habit, and i'd like to get out of the habit now before it becomes more intense. All of my friends smoke, and we all like to go out. On average I go out 3 to 4 nights a week. I may not drink every time, but if I do it immediately leads to me smoking. I've lit up just because I knew I was about to have a beer. Even if I'm not drinking, being around friends who smoke trigger the need for a cigarette too. I don't want to drop my entire social life by refusing to go out with friends to avoid the drinking and smoking, but I don't know how to control the habit when I step into those social environments.

Any tips or ideas to help??

4 Comments
Mary84

I think you just need to start separating yourself from the social triggers.   As you said you light up when you are about to have a bear--say no.   And each time you say no, you separate from it. 

Just great you don't smoke that much and congratulations on realizing you should stop completely now.  You will be so much happier.    Go for the gold! 

All my best, Mary

no-clever-username

You have to find out what works for you. Like you, I'm out a lot, and still have a substantial amount of friends that smoke, and they're not shy about lighting up around me whether or not I'm trying to quit, after a few beers set in. I've tried different approaches in the past when I've quit, like not drinking for a month until I got a handle on things, or swapping out waters every other drink to keep my resolve to quit strong, etc.

This is currently working for me, although people have told me I'm crazy: I still go outside with the smokers at the bar when they light up. It keeps me moving around with a change of scenery, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on the social aspect of smoking outside. I'd say give it a try, but make sure you've quit for at least four or five days first, you have your NRT handy (gum or lozenges?), and that you're not WASTED. Basically, if you've quit for a few days, you should start smelling things better, and you'll begin to smell what your friends actually smell like after a smoke. It's nasty. Your gum or lozenges should take the edge off. And if you're wasted (duh), that cigarette won't taste as bad as it actually does, and your inhibitions might be lowered enough to ruin your motivations.

(Except when it's raining. Then I sit, dry, indoors, and laugh quietly and take pride in the fact that I'm a quitter.)

Good luck!!!

nan

It really not that hard, Jamie, you can continue to do all the same things. Just conciously decide beforehand that you're not to smoke while doing so.... choices!! who knew?

hwc

If you don't think you are physically addicted to nicotine, just quit tonight. It won't be any problem if it's just a "habit".

BTW, only 1 out of 4 US adults is a smoker. So if a higher percentage of your friends, smoke, you have probably been self-selecting smokers to hang out with (so you can smoke) and non-smokers are probaby avoiding you and your friends because you smoke.

One trick you might want to consider if you quit is to ask for the help of some of your non-smoking friends. Go socialize with them a little bit. Go to dinner and a movie. Go to a non-smoking bar.  You will no longer be chained down to smoking venues for entertainment.