cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Hope For Those Who Have Never Quit, Just Quit Again Or Those Still Waiting To Decide

JonesCarpeDiem
3 5 144

What would prove to you that you were really breaking free from smoking? Think about that.

I often say "Time Is The Healer" What does that mean in context? It means the more time that goes by since we quit smoking, the more new experience we gain that does not include smoking.  It means we have created and are creating a new life. Time changes things. It softens the harshness of anger or loss as it distance us from old memories and routines.

The more new experiences without smoking, the further away we get and the less tempted we are to go back because we are gradually accepting our new path.

In the beginning of our quits, most of us are thinkng of smoking more often than any other thought.

What if you weren't thinking of smoking?

What if, one morning you woke up and thought, "I didn't think of smoking one time yesterday."  

Wouldn't that be your proof?  Wouldn't that be the biggest milestone of your quit to date?

That will happen for you if you accept quitting and are not fighting with yourself or holding onto a "this is never going to end" attitude.

So, when does it happen?

For many, I believe it happens around 12 weeks but, some have said it happened to them as early as 8 1/2 weeks and some have said 15-16 weeks. It happened to me on day 82 or 83. (just under 12 weeks)

If you'll keep your eyes open, along with your willingness to quit, and don't do stupid things like drink alcohol or use your emotions as an excuse to smoke, it will happen to you. Watch for it.

Time Is The Healer

5 Comments
About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.