cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Here goes another attempt

Fish4Fun
4 9 133

I have a letter dated11/7/23 that is my goodbye letter to cigarettes.  Well, I managed to make it to day 4 and back at it I was. Again, a few weeks later I tried again. I have been able to go several days in a row but as soon as I have to leave the house for something (I work from home and am single with no kids) I stop for a pack of cigarettes.  For the life of me I have no idea why I can't tell myself no. I have never really realized "addiction" until now. I am now at a point I am lying to people and staying away from people just so I don't have to explain how stupid I am. I have a very good support team, but they can't help me if I am going to lie. Tonight, as i journal this, I am trying to prepare myself for tomorrow. I want to try again. I've been on Ex ever since just before writing my goodbye letter, but I didn't take the time to utilize the support. I am going to need some "butt kicking", no hold back, straight forward support. I'm not as apt to lie to you guys, cause I don't really know you. And since you already know I have the ability to lie about, I'm betting you would see right thru it anyway. I've got to accomplish this because it is destroying my life. My health is declining due to it already effecting my breathing and I've become very sedentary and anti social because of being embarrassed by the odor and my teeth are yellowing, etc, etc. I'm 57 years old and natural aging issues are bad enough but I have tripled that with my smoking. I use to be very outgoing, but not anymore. I almost feel like I should go to some kind of rehab,  because I have let myself down so many times by back sliding. Guys, just please pray with me that I can get this accomplished before it kills me. That you for any and all support. I just want to be an EX!!!

9 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Tough love alert!

Einstein stated that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  What will you do differently THIS time?

We want you to be successful probably as much as you want it.  We can HELP, but you have to do the work.  My welcome in January included things you can do to get ready.    Have you done the recommended reading to better understand how this addiction works?  Tracked your cigarettes to better understand when/why you smoke and thought about what you will do instead when you quit?   Changed up your routines to reduce the associations with smoking?  Written down your list of reasons for quitting to keep handy as a reminder?  Decided what you will do differently the next time you get in the car?  Written down what you can do to distract yourself when a crave hits for the 3 minutes it will last?  Gotten in some long lasting candy, maybe straws cut to lengths to inhale /exhale through, bought some snack foods like frozen grapes, popcorn cakes, apples to crunch on to keep your mouth busy?  

You are breaking free from a powerful addiction and it isn't easy!  These are all proven things to help you be successful.  If you haven't done them, do them NOW!

Nancy

MarilynH

Welcome back @Fish4Fun you can and will be successful in your precious quit journey BUT you MUST stick with N.O.P.E ~ Not One Puff Ever ~ N.M.W ~ No Matter what > because it Works when applied on a daily basis! Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can, you've got this believe it! 

20220303_210009.jpg

Barbscloud

@Fish4Fun Glad you haven't given up on your quit.  Quitting is a journey, so find what works best for you.   Knowledge, preparation and support are key to a successful quit. Have you given any thought to using a quit aid?   They have helped many of us get through those early days of withdrawal successfully.

First of all, you realize this is an addiction, so I don't see anything to be embarrassed about.  You want to quit, so you can do it.  I think most of us believed we couldn't do it, but we have.  If you haven't done the reading, please go back and take a look.   Learn about coping with craving, triggers, creating new associations to replace smoking and understanding how this addiction changes your brain, will give you the solid background you need to become an ex.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

The help  here from fellow quitters here is amazing, so take advantage of the advice, information and support available here.  It took me 50 years and multiple attempts to finally get it right.   Even though each individual has do to the work, I attribute much of my success to this site. So reach out anytime you want to share your experience or need some help.  We're here cheering you and want to share in your success.

Reach out before you buy that next pack, not after.  Those few minutes can be enough time to help keep quit that day. It really works.  

Reinforce your quit by joining many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.  

Congrats on your quit day.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

maryfreecig

Your quit is so doable, you just don't know it yet, but you will. Stick with Ex, keep it one day at a time. A few days away from smoking is abstention (IMO) not quitting. And I get it. Not only have I been where you have been, but so have many successful quitters!!! Don't give up on yourself just because you slipped back to what you knew. Change takes focus and like I said already, it's best to take it one day at a time, one step at a time. I've been quit for 10.5 (age 54) and I still keep my life in one-day-at-a-time mode. Otherwise I'd listen to the council of my worst emotions (I can't get this, this is too hard, do I have to do this forever?)!!! I'm long past the early days of craves and impulses, but I'm not long past the problem of "stinking thinking." I can get stuck on other things and so sticking with keeping myself smober really is a day at a time job. So worth it.

Thanks for sharing. You can do this, there is no doubt about that.

cmaltemose

I quit 5/1/24

56 years old, I hear you,! I am struggling too! But we can do it together and maybe with a little butt kicking!!

I know you can do it? Cuz if this powerless addicted personality can do it so can you!

Just picture it..,we go out somewhere and we don't smell like an ashtray.

We are able to go places and enjoy things cuz we are alive!

We got this girl!!!

SuzyQ411

@Fish4Fun ~ The words for you from @maryfreecig are so true and so empowering; I hope you will latch onto them and head onward!  "Your quit is so doable, you just don't know it yet"

I never, ever believed I would be where I am today after more than 60 years of heavy chain smoking: On June 1, I will be two years fully free of all forms of nicotine~

Has it been hard work? YES! Have I ever been tempted to light up? YES!

Even so, do I choose to continue on this road of recovery, taking it one day at a time?

A RESOUNDING YES!

C'mon along?

biscuit9

@Fish4Fun  I encourage you to rid yourself of this addiction, for all the reasons you described and more that you will realize when you quit.  Right now, you are living on nicotine's terms and giving up all your will to satisfy an addiction.  I know, because I used to do that also.  I agree with the advice to read, study and learn! 

Your mental preparation is key to your staying quit.  As opposed to waking up and hating being a smoker and resolving to quit.......ah heck here comes the craving so I give in and smoke.  That doesn't work for an addict.  Prepare for this quit.  I watched ALOT of smoking videos on whyquit.com, then read everything about this addiction that I could.  

Lastly, you mentioned praying for you.  I am happy to do that.  It was prayer that got me out of this addiction. I finally gave it all to God and asked him to give me the desire to want to quit this filthy addiction.  Having a friend who is going through some difficult times right now, because of his smoking, is what shocked me in to reality.  Like you, I didn't want to die from smoking complications.  I mean come on, I liked smoking, but  I truly do like living and breathing MORE.  Much more.  As impossible as it seems right now, I pray that you are able to accomplish your goal.  This addiction CAN be overcome.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe in celebrating small victories, you nit giving up is a victory! It may take a couple of attempts, but don't give up. Stand in your power! You got this @Fish4Fun!

Quiana, EX Team

SuzyQ411

@Fish4Fun   I join with you and with @biscuit9 for you to master your nicotine addiction in response to your request for prayers. 🙏