cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Here I am

bront-_w
0 9 117

The scariest thing about smoking is that I was not able to distinguish the shift from "casual smoker" to "addict". I never thought my body would be so dependent on something - especially at this age. Being under the age of 20, it seems like it should not be possible to be so addicted to nicotine - but I am. 

I remember being 12 years old and discovering my father smoking on the porch after he had quit his job. I was so upset, I went to my school counselor to talk about it. I told her that I would never smoke, but that I was afraid I was destined to.

High school rolled around and I had my first cigarette at age 15. I thought it made me look older and sexier. At my frist party I didn't inhale, I just enjoyed the feeling of having the cigarette between my lips. 

Now here I am. I'm ready to quit. I want to be able to breathe while I dance. I don't want to waste my money on something that controls me in such an abusive manner. I don't want anyone to judge me on the streets while I'm trying to find some shelter from the rain to just light my cigarette, because I need it right now.

Most importantly, I want to set a better example for my 16 year old sister and for my future family. 

I haven't had a smoke in 2 days, but I'm feeling all of the urges in my body. For non-smokers, smokers that are trying to quit must sound like total lunatics. I remember when I was young and I didn't understand how one could be addicted to smoking. Now I understsand all too well. 

9 Comments
dwreck4242

Its crazy how something so small can really begin a snowball effect into something much larger in your life right? My quit day is tommarow and I hope I can make it to day two at least! Just keep at it! Be A BOSS!!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am sorry you found us after your quit date,. but thrilled that you have made the decision to quit at such a young age/  You have some catching up to do - but I promise all that you will learn will help you to be successful!  Let us know if you are using a quit aid and if so, which one so our advice can be well suited to you.
\

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!”

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us here; ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

Angel.wings
Welcome to the community and congrats on 2 days! I'm sure someone will be by to give you some reading to do to educate yourself on what's happening. I'm pretty young as well (21) and there's no doubt that once your addicted, you get all the same feelings, no matter how short of a time. It's good you started early because the sooner it's out of your life the better! You can do it!
JonesCarpeDiem

read the blog abot 4 below yours called no mans land. it takes you through all the stages of the mental process, my page may be of help also.

promise_judy

Old or Young, nicotine is addictive as you are finding out. I am just glad you have decided to stop!!!

Keep adding those smoke days up and read all you can about the addiction.

XOXO

Junior7

Congrats on two days!  And welcome! The urges will lessen as long as you don't give into them. It gets easier....

Thomas3.20.2010

The only way out is through! Keep leaning in and kepp stacking those days! You CAN do this!

moody_9-18-13

I found that smoking was not only a physical addiction, it is something we have come to depend upon emotionally. Why" That cig was always with me...when I was sad, glad, mad, happy, celebrating, bored, no matter what, it was there. Changing how we live life smoke free is not easy, but is doable. Keep it up, one day at a time, keep your promise to be good to yourself by not smoking. Smoking never did one good thing FOR us.

bront-_w

Thank you all for your kind comments! I feel an amazing sense of support from this community already.