cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Here I am again! :(

Francis
1 9 330

Here I am again, trying to quit. I quit cigarettes and started vaping, now I am ready to quit, this community helped me in the past and I am ready to be an ex again. 
I’ve been trying to quit for the last few days and every night I can’t sleep thinking of the quit date, I am so nervous! Will I be able to do this? 

9 Comments
sweetplt

Welcome Back Francis @Francis 

I am so glad you are back, but sad you switched one addiction for another.  Turn your nervous into wanting this so bad you will plan for this quit, educate yourself about this quit and you will come here daily to get support and to encourage others on this journey.

Start by reading and planning at https://www.becomeanex.org/my-ex-plan/ 

You can do this …. Get working and be in control of your quit…

Colleen 1128 DOF

Cousin-Itt

Glad your back

Being prepared, having a plan and the knowledge of what to expect is a big step.  Reaching out, blogging participating goes a long way.

For me it came down to Believing, Attitude, Determination 

I know I could Quit. I had it in my mind I was going to quit come hell or high water. No matter what I was going to do what it takes

Carl  1976 DOF     

YoungAtHeart

Welcome back to our community!

To begin, it will help if you change up your self talk.  In the words of Henry Ford, "If you think you can or think you can't, you are right."

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping.  It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you!  You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/I-Quit-Smoking-and-Vaping/ba-p/1225904. If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you review what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . which can be found online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

A reminder that you will need to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop.

You also need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all),, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

tracy0924

@Francis welcome back to EX!

you’ve got some great advice above from the elders who have been quit for many years. All I can Say is I agree totally with plan, plan, plan! Pay special attention to alternatives for the triggers! And remember that quitting vaping is the same as quitting smoking. I’ve done both in there really is no difference. And don’t be nervous, be excited! You’re making a choice to live longer!

This community can make a total difference in whether you make it or break it. Stick close and we will stay by you every step of the way. I would post frequently so that we can see your progress and lend our support. It really does help to share your progress with others who have been through the same thing or are going through the same thing. Don’t just post, read the posts of others and you will see! I look forward to hearing more from you in the near future! 🤗💕

Tracy 103DOF

Donjeff-000

Don't. Let your quit date scare you! Every Day is a BETTER DAY WITHOUT Smoking. Vapeing shouldn't be on the table. Remember WHY you're HERE

Maki

I believe you are very able to quit . I believe you are very able to do the things you need to do to not vape  . I believe you are very able to say no to vaping and very able to start enjoying day one as an Ex vape user . I believe you can choose not to live in fear today that you are quitting your addiction to vaping but live in joy of being vape free .

Just as you did when you quit smoking , put this behind you and move forward with excitement because as the new you  you have an adventure to begin in a smoke free vape free new world .

The lessons you likely learned I believe are ; not to substitute bad choices and one puff is never enough . You might like to write these down or use your own words and put them on a sticky note on your fridge and mirror where they can remind you that you aren't going that way anymore 

Those lessons are more than enough for you to succeed at a forever quit .

Always post for help . We do understand the smallest of crisis or most serious of crisis can toss a quit around  and however  long you are quit never be embarrassed to post . Put pride aside . Post before you smoke or vape ....choices produce outcomes . 

Addiction is not becoming . You are beautiful and smart and wise and you can be all that you want to be . Stay out of the clutches of the thief addiction .

I am glad this place helped you , but I think ....lol if you really want to know what I think lol .. well I'll tell you anyway lol ...

I think YOU did the work . Reading , posting and discovering how you the new you will think about addiction are all things you did to help yourself quit smoking .  You can do it  again to quit  vaping . Show others the way . I know already you can do this and am excited you will be inspiring others . 

Surrender to your quit ..

don't live in fear of it ,

embrace it

and  you will sleep well tonight .

Breath in relaxation and slowly exhale the fear and the anxiety you are feeling until you bring it from a ten being the worst to where you feel safe and relaxed ..  you can lessen that fear and the craves by practising that . Trust me I know it's not always easy but with every temptation you beat you've added a tool to your tool box for future use in life . 

Breathe .. google box breathing or find a method similar in pictures that you like . It works . 

Keep your progress journalled is all I would like to suggest really , but I trust you will find your own way , you know the rest because you know you best . 

TigeKtm

Pick up your phone then search for stories about people who have health problems from smoking.  Scare yourself!  It worked for me.  I don't want a Dr. saying. well its to late now you have.......

maryfreecig

Yes you are able to do this. There is no magic involved just effort one day at a time. You are aiming to quit by honoring your goal with actions. Actions go along way in reducing fearful thoughts and feelings. If you have an action plan then you are good to go. If not then now would be the time to make one. Bottom line-of course you can. 🐣🎉😊

Francis

Thank you everyone! I knew coming back here was a great idea! Thank you!!!!