Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Help and inspiration

smsbean
0 10 4

Hi,

I'm back and tomorrow is my quit date. I was quit for 3 months before and fell off the wagon. It's time to do it again. I was recently sick with a prolonged cough and rib pain. I'm tired of this and want to feel better. I will be using the patch this time. I wondered if anyone has any encouraging words about how their health changed for the better....I am at that place where I'm scared I have already done so much damage I will never get better and would love some inspiration.

10 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Everyone is different as to amount of permanent damage.

You could get a spirometry test at the dr.s for now with a consult.

then, have more extensive lung function tests but I would wait until you've been quit a month and see if the cough improves. if you keep smoking you are rsking possible further damage in any case.

Barbara145

I just looked at your page.  How old are you? Do you have any diagnosed medical problems.  How long did you smoke.  As for the Xanax, 11 years ago when I quit my doctor gave me Xanax.  They made my anxiety worse. The anxiety really did not last long this quit.  My depression improved very quickly.  The cigaretttes were making me depressed.  I was shocked.  You did this for 3 months you can do it for the rest of your life.  Of course your health will improve.  You are in my prayers.  You can do this.

smsbean

Hi,

I am 37 and have high blood pressure, reflux, hypothyroid, and of course, pretty bad anxiety and depression. I have smoked for about 20 years, with a few quits in there of 3-6 months each. For the past 10 years I have smoked about 12 cigs a day on average. I am on a different antidepressant now but it doesn't stop my health anxiety which has gotten really bad lately so I am going to quit again. I guess technically I have quit as of 7:30 tonight. I have xanax that I keep for bad panic attacks but haven't really had to take it since I started smoking again earlier this year. I just want to feel better. I know I can't totally heal the damage I have done but I hope that the cough and rib ache will go away and that I will breathe easier. I'm just scared and know that my addiction is trying to keep me smoking. Thanks for responding. I talked to my MD about all this the other day, he said he could send me for pulmonary function tests if it would make me feel better but he didn't think I needed them right now.

Junior7

Quitting is the right thing, and you can do this!  I have 126 days quit and my anxiety and depression have improved.  I did not expect that.  I thought the smoking helped my anxiety, but once I had quit for a while I learned that the smoking had been making it worse.  Hang in there and stay close to this site!  We'll be there for you! 

JonesCarpeDiem

I would not assume there is permanent damage. smoking for 20 years is certainly better than smoking for 40 years.

a simple spirometry test will give you much of any information about any damage.

JonesCarpeDiem

How did you feel at 3 months?

Most people who give in and smoke do it within the first 4 months

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

smsbean
I don't remember how I physically felt, i was so anxious and depressed for those 3 months that I couldn't see what was positive, and that's why I started smoking again. I think I felt better! My meds kept being adjusted but I just didn't feel like myself. I was mean all the time and I was discouraged that I still felt that way after 3 months. I am scared to do this again but also scared to keep doing it!
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back to our community!

Many people here have successfully quit with anxiety and other mental disadvantages.  Everyone is different, but ALL have things in their lives that make this journey not necessarily an easy one.  We have one lady whose house just burned to the ground, another is in the midst of treatmet for cancer.  You can do it - you honestly can!  Do be in touch with your doctor they can adjust your medications as necessary.

As far as health improvements - my sense of smell and taste improved dramatically.  I no longer cough at the end of every good laugh. I don't stink anymore.  My self confidence went through the roof when  I actually was able to do this.  My level of anxiety went down (when you do the readings, you will learn that smoking INCREASES anxiety - it does not decrease it!)  I can take a deep breath that doesn't catch at the end. 

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.p

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Sootie

Encouraging words on improving health???? Nothing but!!!!

Although I did not have any diagnosed conditions I can tell you my energy level increased dramatically once I quit (this takes awhile---in the beginning you may feel "foggy" and sluggish and that is normal)

I feel so much better just generally over all....ready to handle tasks and things I was always putting off with a smoke before.

When I do get a cold, it does not last as long and is nowhere near as severe as what I used to get. I would get such a deep, hacking cough during a cold when I was smoking that it was scary.

You'll feel great

You'll smell great

You'll have more money and more time

No downside.

smsbean
Thank you! I really need these stories of how your health improved to psych me up. I had a virus and it took forever to go away along with the deep cough. I am scared that I will few like this forever. I appreciate everyone's feedback so much!