cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Help! I had nicotine gum after 91 days

joyamber
0 9 25

I had a weak moment and bought nicotine gum today after not having it for 91 days and only 4 pieces between those 91 days and another 90 days. I am a nicotine gum addict and thought I was recovered.  I just bought 20 pieces and thought I could handle having another 4 pieces to last another very long extended time without. I did  almost come on the website this morning before I bought it but failed to get the help this morning that I needed. I need reminders about how wrong nicotine is for my body again.  At least I bought 2mg instead of 4mg. Why did this happen to me again? 

9 Comments
Courage

I'm not far enough along to give advice, but you know what you have to do. Give yourself a good swift kick in the butt, forgive yourself  and throw them out! Why did you do it? Because you have a drug addiction.... Remember the reasons you needed to stop in the first place

joyamber

Thanks for the comment. I had craves really bad and wasn't addressing them. 

JonesCarpeDiem

i think you are going through no mans land but with the gum instead of smoking

Strudel

Did you do the reading before you quit before? If not, may I suggest the free course at http://quitsmokingonline.com/ and Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" -http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

It can really help to understand this addiction to nicotine - and to break the connection your brain is making - that somehow nicotine is going to make you feel better. It won't! Read! As long as you THINK the nicotine is giving you something - this could happen. 

The good news is you didn't smoke. 

Take care! 

LouiseR
Havent seen you on here in quite awhile. I have read your blogs and see you struggle with the nicotine gum. You quit smoking which is awesome but I get the sense you are now addicted to the gum which needs to be addressed. I think Dale has been trying to help you so I would listen to his advice and strudel knows what she is talking about. All I can say is come here everyday and talk it out and read and learn. We are all addicts and want the same thing, to be nicotene free.
marilyn_marmac

Amen to what Louise said...We are all addicts and want the same thing, to be nicotene free. You've already received good advice so all I'll do is send you a mental hug, tell you to toss the gum and get back on the horse.

lucy705

I am addicted to the nicotine lozenges...I have never made it more than 5 or 6 days.  That is why I am on here to quit the lozenges.  They need to put a BIG warning on these NRT telling how addictive they are.  I am reading to get ready for my quit date.

moody_9-18-13

http://whyquit.com/pr/021606.html

"Nicotine is not only a "big player" with cancer risks but has been linked to hardening of the arteries and cardiovascular disease, memory impairment, dementia, and chronic depression."

Smoking is a worse nicotine delivery device, but in the end, it's the nicotine receptors in the brain that took control of our lives.

I am so glad you don't smoke!

freeneasy

I used NRT for longer than you. When I finally stopped using them I did it the same way as when I stopped smoking one day at a time. You already went a long time without it. It is much easier to stop using NRT that to stop smoking-at least it was for me. You stopped it before stop again and come here and blog 1st.