cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Hello all - kinda unique approach for my quit: Zyban + ecig

moonchild32
0 17 67

I have smoked for 25 years, 1-2 packs a day, and I want to quit using Zyban and the e-cig.  I've tried Zyban once before and while I smoked much less, it wasnt enough so I gave up after 12 days - stopped taking it and logged a fail. I have also had an e-cig for a year but 10 months of that it just sat in a drawer - couldnt replace the cigs with it enough to matter and I didn't really like it so I gave up. 

I'm thinking that if I combine these 2, the effect will build up; however the doctor who prescribed the Zyban is against e-cigs, she was adamant I shouldn't use the e-cig - an advice I don't intend to follow. 

I don't understand this all-or-nothing approach - maybe I am weaker than most, but one crutch wasn't enough, and I don't see why I can't use two crutches :). Especially since Zyban can be better with NRT, and the ecig is a form of NRT - one you can tailor to your needs unlike gum or patches.

I've quit once before for over a year, cold turkey, and it was so horrible it's been 12 years since I restarted (I know, stupid) and I still know I'd rather die than do that again

17 Comments
jewelie4

It's not weakness moonchild. Nicotine is a very strong and highly addictive drug. I have a friend who quit smoking gradually. She would start with the after dinner cigarette. After a meal she decided not to smoke that cigarette. After she accomplished that she went to the next trigger until she conquered that one. Eventually she just smoked one less a day for awhile and gradually brought it down by 1 cigarette for however long it took to be comfortable.

You're not weak. I still crave them strongly sometimes. I live with a smoker and it's extremely tempting at times. It's a one day at a time kind of thing.

E cigarettes are not good for you but I think they're probably better than the regular cigs with all the chemicals. If it works for you to use them instead I say go for it. Although it goes against what the doctor said. I am a "whatever works" type and if it works I'd go that route.

Good luck! The fact that you want to quit is the first step. YOU CAN DO IT!

jewelie4

Oh and PS I quit for 2 yrs and went back to smoking to before I quit this time. We're only human!

freesoul2

Why is it that the nicotine is so important for you even after you quit smoking , that you want to use e - cigs.

nicotine by itself is very bad for you. i think you are missing the point by being dependent on e . please go and read allen carrs easy way to quit ,that will help.

moonchild32

1 TY Jewelie - yes I will make it this time I have to - bc I will NEVER try again I sick of trying - so at the least what I wil get outta this quit is I will never smoke again - I will use ecigs 🙂

moonchild32

No nicotine is not bad for you, it is good for you - too bad it comes with a very BAD addiction - but nicotine in itself is NOT bad - that y i cool w ecigs, that y NRT helps - the bad health effects are from the burned tobacco smoke in cigs, NOT nicotine

Deena-A-Yenni

My counselor is against e cigs because it doesn't get rid of the hand to mouth ritual and your not getting rid of the nicotene.  Now that I'm on my forever quit I tend to agree.  Please go to Jonescarp's page and read his blogs.  They will enlighten you about your quit and perhaps persuade you to get rid of the nicotene all together I hope.  It's up to you though, it's your quit.  WELCOME!!!!  The group here can be very supportive as you go along in your quit and can help you with any questions you may have.  Just continue to shout out.

freesoul2

Is nicotine good for you ? No , you are very wrong.

Try injecting nicotine in your vein, you will die instantly.Nicotine intake increases your blood pressure, raises your heart rate significantly which can inturn be responsible to cause heart attack. So it is very bad for your heart and circulatory system on its own.

It creates dependency at brain level where you have these receptors.Your lungs are not designed to inhale and intake nicotine or any drugs.

kristine5-27-14
  I made the mistake of jumping head first into my quit. Thankfully the elders here caught me and put me on the right track: The most important thing you can do to make this your forever quit- is to research and educate yourself:

Read allen carr's book online. 
  (can someone post the link please?)

Visit Dale's page, read it and prepare for what lies ahead. 

Make sure you do the exercises on the EX site about discovering and addressing your triggers....
  What I'm trying to say is- before you decide the best way for you to quit, do your research so you have all the information on the table. 
  IMPORTANT!: blog and let us know how its going for you so we can shower you with encouragement and advice. You've come to a great community full of people who can't wait to help you gain freedom from smoking and nicotine!! Welcome! ♥
JonesCarpeDiem

Using an ecig is pretending to smoke. (Same motions)

You are in effect holding onto smoking, not letting it go.

The hardest part of quitting smoking is unlearning those motions.

So, you are working against yourself using an ecig.

People who use them can't seem to let them go.

Is that what you want? Dragging around something the rest of your life so you can pretend to smoke?

Barbara145

The M.D. on this site, Dr. Hurt recommends 2 forms of NRT if you need it.  He does not recommend E-cigs.  You can go watch his video.  You will figure it all out and we will be here for you every step of the way.

promise_judy

Congrats on your decision to stop smoking cigarettes. I see you have been planning on how you wish to quit but I would advise you to make sure as you set your goals that you remember that many people have different ideas on how to quit. So understand that although they may not feel as do as to how to quit, keep an open mind. Everyone here is hopping for one thing and that is for you to be able to quit.

Keeping an open mind and reading as much as you can about nicotine is our greatest objective.

If you want to learn more about different people and how they quit--click on their avatar and go to THEIR PAGE.

In the meantime whatever you decide to do--it is your quit and only you can control how you quit. The choice is YOURS.

XOXO

SkyGirl

Hi, and welcome to EX!  I would like to recommend an article called "Nicotine Addiction 101".  You can find the link to it on the whyquit.com homepage in the upper left hand corner.  It was a real eye-opener for me and for many others that I've recommended it to.

Kristine really hit the nail on the head when she said to do "research and educate yourself" so that you have all the information you will need to decide how to plan your Quit.  I thought I knew everything there was to know about nicotine addiction and boy, was I wrong!

Do take a couple of hours to read Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking".  It's an easy read and very simplistic in it's approach.  But it can totally flip your thinking around so that you will view quitting entirely differently than you do now.

We are all glad you are here and we are all here to help you find your forever Quit!

Sky

GreenThumb3

I was very addicted to Ecig but was giving me sinus infections be careful with it it becomes the same when you loose it you will freek once your hooked then charging buying juice for it batteries tanks coils becomes the monkey on your back ,I think patch or  gum would be better but gum addiction is a reality too cold turkey was my choice you could do it 

freeneasy

Congrats on your decision to quit. Using Zyban in combination with an approved NRT worked for me. Your doctor was adamant about not using an Ecig because it is not an NRT -it is a substitute for smoking and has not been approved by the FDA as an NRT. It would be difficult for you to tailor it to your need to your wean yourself from nicotine as you would have to determine that for yourself as there is not medically approved way to do it using an Ecig. Welcome to the EX Community.

Mrs.Rum

I took Zyban and used nicotine gum and that worked for me.  You can do this!

moonchild32

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement! Yes I know the e-cig is pretending to smoke - that's why I want to use it - 1. to make quitting certain and 2, in case I relapse to go to the e-cig and never to burning cigarettes again.

freesoul2

I am sorry, no offense (moon child) but if you know everything ..then why do you come to this community ? 

We are just trying to help you. e cigarettes cause the same addiction as regular cigarettes, because it has nicotine in it. The e cigarette device by itself may be harmful and it has not been approved by FDA. The e-cig by itself causes potential harm to the human body ....risk of heart attack, clogging your arteries etc. go and search online if you dont agree

If you continue to go with e cigarettes, thats your choice, but just be honest to yourself . Think for a moment if you want to continue putting toxic in your body , even if it is the vapour in your lungs and nicotine which your body doesnt need. The tobacco companies are investing millions of dollars to keep you hooked , and the latest gimmick is the e-cigarette.