cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Health panel expands lung cancer screening for more smokers

WhispersQSMB
7 5 99

Who’s eligible? The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force said anyone between ages 50 and 80 who has smoked at least 20 “pack-years” and either still smokes or quit within the last 15 years. A “pack-year” means smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for a year or an equivalent amount. So someone could qualify by going through a pack a day for 20 years or two packs a day for 10 years.

Since 2013, the scans have been recommended for heavier smokers -- 30 pack-years -- and those a little older, starting at age 55. The task force updated the guidelines, published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association, after newer research showed lighter, younger smokers benefit, too. About 15 million people are estimated to meet the new criteria, nearly double the prior number.

Health panel expands lung cancer screening for more smokers 

The task force recommendation means insurers must offer the screening without a copay to people who meet the criteria.

5 Comments
About the Author
I started fighting this addiction back in feb 2010. I quit for 2 1/2 years and i relapsed. I never quit, quitting and have been free since 11/25/2015