cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Having a rough day

want2change
0 13 82

I can't shake it today and I'm so scared I will talk myself into the nasty habit of smoking again. I did great yesterday and this morning but all afternoon ugh... I keep telling myself to try again tomorrow and that I can't do this. The mind is a powerful thing and it gets me everytime.

The only thing that brought on a smile is when my dog started licking my face and I couldn't stop her so I just kept laughing. Ok I know the drill. Keep busy, post online, call a support friend and don't give up. I'm going to take my dog for a walk now and see how I feel going outdoors. I'm home all alone tonight and I hope bordom does not get the best of me.

Thanks for listening. Day 2

13 Comments
robertclark302

You can do it.  Cravings will pass, trust me.  My advice is get rid of all your cigarrettes, lighters, ashtrays, etc.  Then when you do get bored later tonight, if you really, really, really just have to have a smoke, then you will have to get up, get dressed, find your car keys, get in your car, start it up, back it up out of the driveway, drive to the store, and buy the cigarrettes, lighter, ashtray, etc.  Once you take the readability to smoke away, it will be harder to slip.  Good luck.

Storm.3.1.14

You said you know the drill, so I won't repeat the obvious skills you know you need to practice. (Walking the dog would've been my #1 suggestion, anyway.) Instead, I'll ask you to analyze WHY this afternoon GOT tough, when your yesterday and morning were great. What changed? Weather? Mood? Obligations? Is it that withdrawals are hitting at the same time as nostalgia for cigarettes. Hungry? Bored? Sad? Escapism? Anxiety?

What's going on today that wasn't happening yesterday? Put your thumb on it, call it out for what it is, and lean into solving that puzzle.

And, of ocurse, do NOT smoke in order to figure this all out! 

jennifer2500

Hi.  At 10:30 pm tonight, I'll be  3 days in.

That's basically the end of the physical withdrawal.

Let's get past the 3 days.

I certainly don't want to have to redo any part of the 3 days.

Jenn

SimplySheri
Don't let boredom get the best of you. Don't talk yourself into smoking. Don't, don't, don't. Do remind yourself that you don't smoke anymore. Do take good care of you. Do know that you deserve a smoke free life.
YoungAtHeart

Hang in there - it DOES get easier, I promise.  It takes some work and creative planning in the beginning....don't LET yourself be bored and sit around thinking about smoking.  Get BUSY!  Play a computer game, march in place, clean out a drawer (or a closet), do a few jumping jacks, do a jigsaw or crossword puzzle - you notice I DID not say, "sit around, bored, and think how much you want a cigarette!"

One day at a time, sometimes an hour at a time......steady as she goes!

Nancy

crazymama_Lori

if you've got some shelving paper anywhere in your house, rip it off.  Clean your baseboards with a toothbrush.  Any physical elbow grease cleaning did the trick for me.  I got my frustrations worked out and a clean house to boot.  Clean your basement or garage.  there's always something you can physically pitch, throw, whatever.  Plan out a garden and tomorrow dig one up.  Do try to keep yourself as busy as possible the first 30 days.  The first two weeks you'll get a lot of your heavier cleaning done.  Wash windows and ceiling fans and see all that yellow yunk drip off.  take a look around tonight and plan out your attack plan 😉

Daniela2016

Tell yourself you can last till you go to bed, then when you go to bed, say it out loud: "here I am, I made it, another day without smoking".  Then when you get up in the morning, say it again "this is a day without smoking".

And take it, and make it one day at the time, you'll be so proud of yourself at the end of every smoke free day, and it gets better with every winning day!

You can do it, we can all do it!

shashort

Tell yourself you CAN do this!!!! You don't smoke anymore!!!! Lori is right I too got a good clean house staying busy and mind off smoking.  I never thought I would ever say or believe it would get easier but it does. I am almost 30 days smoke free so still young in my quit.  As someone here told me don't fight it ride the wave and the urge will pass. Stay strong!!

Dotgirl_1-28-16

You can do this. The mind is a very powerful thing and when the addiction takes over and starts talking, you keep doing what you did tonight have a plan and stick to it! I hope you enjoyed your walk with the dog and you post again soon to let us know how you're doing. Congrats on your awesome 2 days of freedom!!! 

Giulia

If you've made the commitment not to smoke, then there should be no fear that you'll talk yourself back into it.  It's either a commitment or it's.. something else.   Like wishful thinking or a hope.  A commitment is neither of those.  And this isn't a "habit," it's an addiction.  When you understand the difference, you'll be more able to overcome it.

PennyLynn7407

I agree- Commitment. That's what made the difference for me. I am committed that no matter what, I WILL NOT smoke. It has worked for me for 7 weeks, and for MANY others with hundreds more days. Once you truly make your mind up that you will not smoke, you will be compelled do whatever it takes to stay free. Prayer really works. Also, I agree- stay busy and you will not have so much time to fixate on that darn cigarette.

want2change

Thanks everyone. I did walk the dog and it really felt good. I went to bed early and feel pretty good this morning. Thanks for all the great advice and I read everyone of them. I'm continuing my commitment to beat this addiction. I will keep busy today and get outside with my dog. My husband is off today and that is my worst trigger. So to avoid any arguements (he's quitting too) I will do my own thing.  

Great day to all! 🙂

Nix

Well done for getting through that tough tough day. Isnt the support and advice here wonderful.