cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Having a lot of trouble

JakeTrev
2 8 20

It's kind of funny.  I have gone from about 50 cigs a day down to 12-13.  Yet I cannot get below that number.  Wait, that's not true.  Yesterday I only did 10.  But now I am asking myself why people cannot just let me be.  With end stage COPD what kind of a life do I have to look forward to.  I know that's silly.  I have saved  so much money already.  But that's no reason to quit smoking.  Why does everyone make you feel guilty.   There seem to be many on here who have already quit.  Did you go through the same thing?  How do you overcome those feelings? 

My quit date is 8 days away and I don't know if I can make it. 

Ok, I'm sorry.  I sometimes just feel like I'm losing!

Thanks for listening.

8 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Hi,

I'm really sorry about your copd.

Perhaps you are too focused on cutting down?

Why don't you just try this instead.

When you want to smoke, just tell yourself to wait a little longer. Don't let yourself get stressed over it. Just delay and don't keep track and see if the pressure you are placing on the number per day relaxes you.

See, it isn't a fight. Well, it doesn't have to be.

JonesCarpeDiem

Are you forced to stay at home? Do you smoke in a certain spot?

If so, do you have someone who could help move some furniture around so things are different?

Are there certain times every day you feel like you have to smoke? Figure out what those times are and make a note and then claim victory over them one at a time.

Do you have to have a smoke with coffee if you drink coffee? Drink your coffee with your other hand after you've quit.

This is about making small changes that remind you in a good way that you are making a change. It is a lifestyle change.

AbasKid

Hello Jake

Quitting can be a BIG DEAL or it can be a big deal. I do know I create my own turmoil, which I have been dealing with lately.

My partner is stage 4 emphysema, and he quit 10 years ago. After smoking for 58 years and several disaterous failed attempts, I put them down 295 days ago.

When it is very difficult for me to keep from buying that pack, somehow, through the fog comes the realization that I don't really want to be smoking again. I just WANT to smoke. There is a difference that my feeble attempt to convey is, I'm afraid lacking.

The caps represent what my MIND tries to feed me. The caps are the ADDICTION trying to pull me back. The caps are my own EGO trying to control me.

It is very difficult to toss out our old friend. I did it---I had breast cancer. I refused all their toxic drugs and radiation and decided I would go organic and clean. My guy told me he would support whatever I wanted to do, but one thing didn't make sense to him. Why was I willing to remove all the toxins and yet continue to put them back by smoking? I had to say------"oh shit. He's right." (all traces of cancer are gone BTW)

I guess just hang in there. Realize that you have the power to turn off the mind games and make a choice to not smoke. It will help the COPD even if it cannot reverse it.

Hugs & Blessings

Sara

YoungAtHeart

Hi, Jake!

I could not cut down before my quit at all.  It seemed as though it made me think about smoking ALL the time - like, "how long until I can have another cigarette?  maybe I can just have one now and put another one off to make up for it?" and on and on.  I would get down on myself if I didn't make the goal I had set for that day --- all of this was counter productive for me.

I hope you have done the reading?  If not, may I ask you to PLEASE do so - especially the Allen Carr book I put a link to earlier.  It helped me and lots of others better understand the hold this addiction has on our minds and bodies.

As far as, "what's the use?"  You, I think, know the answer to that.  The excuses you are producing are just the addiction trying to keep you in its clutches.  The money saved IS an important part of the positive outcome - along with not smelling like a dirty ashtray, and, perhaps, improving your breathing.  I CAN tell you that you will get worse faster if you continue to smoke.

You have to put some effort into getting ready.  Educate yourself, plan and prepare - and, hopefully, look FORWARD to the day you will quit because you will be ready.

Let us know how we can help.

Nancy

Daniela2016

Hi Jake, I smoked for 40 years, and quit just 80 days ago.  What really helped me was to take it one day at the time.  Thinking I will never smoke again was, and still is very scary. So I am staying in today...if dropping them all together does not work for you (we are all so different), then maybe delaying gratification, as Dale suggested might work for you.  And the book really helped me too!  Please keep talking to us, even instead of smoking one ☺️

Thomas3.20.2010

Yes, End Stage COPD can really be a challenge but it is a LOT more livable if you just Quit Smoking!

One thing we ALL share is that as we being the process of letting go of our Addiction our Addictive Minds scream Nico-Lies! Your EXcuse for not quitting is simply another Nico-Lie!

How do I know? Because ALL Nico-Lies have the same thing in common - a "reason" why quitting or qitting today or even not smoking now is a very bad idea! Nico-Lies have the desire to get you to just one more Sickerette! Just the next one - or at least the next puff! Whatever it takes to keep us hooked!!!!!

Do you really want to die an Addict? 

With some major lifestyle changes you can live with end stage COPD for quite a few Years and that is a Blessing to your loved ones (and to YOU!)

We ALL went through that scary part of realizing that we were giving up our Addiction but you know what? NOT QUITTING is the truly scary choice - if we could only think straight!

Give your Mind a chance to clear the smoke cloud of Addiction and you will never regret it! 

kathym613

Hey Jake,

I just joined this group. I smoked for over 50 years and I'm sure that I have COPD even though I have not been formally diagnosed. My husband died 7 yrs ago from emphysema and asbestosis.  After going through his many hospitalizations with him, you think I would have know better and quit long ago. 

My son in law is preparing for round 3 of chemo for lymphoma..................he did not smoke!  I feel ashamed that I have  been blessed with excellent health and continue to destroy myself with cigarettes when he and so many others did nothing to deserve their sickness.  I realized on Saturday that I am having difficulty recovering from a cold and have been very short of breath!  It's very scary!  On Saturday I said Enough! Cold turkey!  Day 3!  I must conquer this beast once and for all.

Please keep trying Jake........I already feel better in this short time.  If only I could sleep........... 

hunniebear03

Quitting is hard but we can do anything we want to in life, stay strong and keep the faith, a little suffering now is NOTHING compared to what could happen. My name's Amanda I'm 28 years old and I'm finishing day eight and struggling with a lot of stress right now! But you will get a lot of support on here so stay with us! YOU GOT THIS