cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Having a lot of cravings

Thyme
3 14 177

I’ve been having a lot of cravings for the past several days and have started having thoughts that maybe I could smoke “someday” in the future. I’m feeling really restless, irritable and discontent and just can’t shake the thought that I was happier when I was smoking, that smoking would somehow make things better. I guess this is what the no mans land deal is all about. I felt so strong in my quit even as recently as a week ago.

14 Comments
Maki

This will pass . Hang in there . I went through a very short bout of this around 97 days or three months roughly , it past just after hundred . We are all different but it will pass . Don’t let it steal what 92 days now . Congrats .. you will soon be getting that golden key . 

YoungAtHeart

It could be No Mans Land; it could be the change in seasons....but I can guarantee it WILL pass - I promise.  You may need to be more active in using the tools you found helpful early in your quit.  Pull them out; use them again!

Just get through one day at a time.  If you aren't taking the Daily Pledge, doing that might help center you again.

It IS going to get easier again!  Hang in there until it does.

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Thyme This is really a part of quitting.  I do believe that many of us think we should be feeling great by now.  After all, I quit smoking.  Don't lose sight of how long you smoked in comparison.  You're body and mind are still adjusting to a major change in your life.

It will get easier, so hang in there.  Continue to reach out , especially when you're feeling this way.  There are people here to help you get through a rough period.

Barbscloud_0-1684412324344.jpeg

So proud of you.

Barb

McMoney

Those cravings are just the symptom of the addiciton in your brain screaming as you cut down on the lozenges. You will continue to feel that thrashing whining little monster until you withdraw completely from the nicotine and put even more time between you and the drug.

Understand the lie, see through the illusion, and do not give in to the tantrum in your brain. You will be happier than you've ever been when you are not chained to that stinking, life sucking, expensive, crutch.

Keep going, Thyme! You got this! Slay the monster!! ⚔️

ReallyReal

@Thyme I agree with @McMoney that these current thoughts of smoking may be directly tied to your cutting down on the nicotine lozenges right now.  Something similar happened to me as I weaned myself off of the nicotine gum.  Be aware that this is probably what is happening and know that very soon you will be nicotine free.  But don't give up your hard won quit now, you have come too far.  I doubt that any of us were happier when we were smoking--and I know for a fact I wasn't, even when my addict brain tried to convince I was.  Ah, the lies the addict brain throws at us are surely something to behold--I laugh at the conniving addict these days, those lies won't work on me.  Peace and good cheer @Thyme 

Barbscloud

@Thyme Even though it can take weeks for nicotine to be completely gone from your system, I suspect what you're experiencing now is more psychological than physical  at this point.   Habits and rituals are also associated strongly with quitting.

Barb

biscuit9

Shut down those negative thoughts....I was told to yell "I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE!  Redirects the brain and brings you back.  I would challenge those thoughts.  By now, your logical mind knows that smoking literally changes nothing.  Not one thing will change by smoking, but your addiction will return.  You have come way too far to return to the first week.  Are you still running?  Stay strong @Thyme .  

Thyme

Thank you so much for the sharing the experience that this will pass, that things will get better. My mornings without the lozenge are finally feeling easier, it’s that early evening time that is tough. Yesterday I felt crappy and was craving for about 2 hours - then I tried something from early in my quit that had fallen by the wayside—I got on Duolingo for 10 mins and the craving was gone! I painted my nails and even better. When the craving is happening it really feels like things will never feel better without nicotine but this too shall pass is always true. I also have not been doing as vigorous exercise lately due to travelling and not feeling well—I need to get back in the groove as I know that was helping me. I’m so grateful to be able to hear from all of you who are farther along in your quit and very thankful for the support and encouragement.

ReallyReal

@Thyme I am so happy to hear that you are taking good care of yourself and standing strong in your quit.  Yay you!!!!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hang in @Thyme! Cravings are normal even after quitting for months or years, sounds like you are just having a tough time, but you will get through this! I hope you get a chance to get back to your routine. Working out does wonders for our mental health! You got this and we are here for you!

Quiana, EX Team

indingrl

@JonesCarpeDiem  suggested years ago when I had a crave to grab a lemon and bite into it peel and all

So I did and I was not thinking of sucking on a death stick

Please try it when a crave hits thank you

It was suggested I find a new hobbie to keep hands busy 

It was suggested I focus and write down on post notes and put where I can see them writing 1 to 3 things I was grateful for not sucking on death sticks just for today

I took these suggestions to help me get a new mind set that I practiced each day to do when my old addict mind thoughts to just suck on one death stick it won't hurt you ...... I stop and think what I am thinking about .....I pray and come here to blog

Thanks for sharing and reading I appreciate you 

Thyme

Just wanted to pop back in and say, the last couple days have been much better—no cravings! Thank you all for your support and advice.

YoungAtHeart

Quitting this addiction is akin to a roller coaster ride with ups and downs and twists and turns.  Get through the valleys however you can, and enjoy the heck out of the peaks.

Glad it's a bit easier recently!  Enjoy it!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Thyme Yea!

Barb