cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Have to do this

jerrymc
0 17 232

My health insurance is requiring all clients who used tobacco prior to may of this year to complete this program, or pay a penalty of an extra 20% on our premiums.  I think that a program such as this one has little value if you are forced into it.  But here I am. 

17 Comments
jerrymc

This does however seem like a great program for someone who is looking for help and support with quitting.  It is a very well designed program and website.

Breakinchains

So you still want to smoke?

Ask yourself why.

Hang out here long enough and you will realize that most any reason you give for wanting to smoke is a lie, and really just boils down to nicotine addiction. 

You don't have to want to quit in order to quit, but you do have to be willing to quit. There is a big difference. 

Read the blogs and any suggested reading material that may come along. Even if you don't quit smoking you may be surprised by what you learn.

JonesCarpeDiem

Welcome

People who are told by their Doctor that they have to quit do it successfully all the time.

Thomas3.20.2010

It is what you make it, Jerry!

We are successful quitters and we can show you how to quit, also. 

All you have to bring to the table is your consistent presence and wilingness to look at a different perspective. 

Aren't you even curious about what Smoke Free Living can do for you?

(Like save you lots of $$$$)

YoungAtHeart

I will ask you to keep an open mind.  Just read for now.  I hope you will learn that what you THINK you get from smoking is a lie. The reason you feel stress is the nicotine receptors in your addict brain demanding to be fed - needing their fix.   And, regardless of what you tell yourself about it, it will have health consequences....guaranteed.

Here is a link to something that I hope you will read (I didn't find it easy to quit, as it states, but I DID learn a lot about my addiction):

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Hang around and read awhile!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

So a man thinketh so is he.  You think this will not be beneficial because you are being forced. What if you were being forced because you had cancer, COPD or some other pulmonary disease.  Would that make a difference?  This could benefit you if you opened your mind.  On this site we say It 's what's between the ears.  Try it you may LIKE it.  It takes willingness to quit.  Are you willing? Welcome

Chuck-2-20-2011

20% is a good reason to quit but on top of that, have you ever looked at how much you spend on those cigarettes each month? I can guarantee you that this adds up fast!

Is this the only reason you want to quit? Remember, health is something that can be reduced but isn't something that we can easily get back one we reduce it. Also it's amazing what freedom feels like!

I wish you the best!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

TerrieQuit

20% more on your premimuns! Wow! Like Thomas said above this plan will save you money. and you won't get hit with that extra 20% ins cost. Hang around awhile! You might like what you see! I do!

Terrie  51  DOF

Terri103

You know what, I get you.  You don't want to HAVE to do something, you want to do it on your own terms and on your own time.  I did end up choosing my own time, and Before I got diagnosed with any life threatening, smoke related illness.  When you get sick, you have to have to HAVE to stop.  Here is the deal.....be open minded, do some of the reading, decide if you want patches or gum to help with your quit, share how you are doing with us here, and see where it gets you.  Not one of us has ever said I so regret quitting.  I wish I were still smoking.  What do we regret??  That we didn't do it sooner, way sooner.  If you give it a try, you might find you like it.  IF you like lists, write a list of all the ways that you will benefit besides that extra 20% on your premiums.  After you have been quit awhile, and see all the ways you have benefitted, you may be compelled to write a thank you to your health insurance company.  Look at this mandate as a Sheep in Wolves Clothing!!!

Mrs.Rum

It is always possible that you may surprise yourself.  

Junior7

So glad you are here!  So sorry you are being forced, but it could just turn out to be a good thing!  We are here for you!

cpsono

I work at an outpatient testing center and most of the Dr's offices have gone smoke free.  I mean to say, if you work in one of those offices, you can't go outside and smoke during your shift.  You can't even smoke 1/2 hour before you go to work because they don't want the patients to smell the smoke on you.  My particular area is not included in that, but I know that it is only a matter of time!  That was one of my many motivations for quitting...I didn't want to be FORCED to do it and then be all panciky when the day arrived.  So here I am at 91 days free of cigs; never really believed I could do it, but guess what?  I'm doing it!  Did I want to quit, really?  No, most people don't "want" to quit.   Was I willing to quit?  You bet.  And I don't regret it.  Stay close to this site.  There is an enormous amount of support here!!!!!!

jonilou

Though it may not feel like it now, this is probably the best thing that could happen to you. Stick around with this bunch for a while and you'll see.

Giulia

Interesting.  So they want you to complete the BecomeAnEx program specifically, not just any old quit smoking program?  That says a LOT for this site and community.  Are they also forcing you to take an NRT?  Or do you have a choice in that? 

Sootie

We never like to be "forced" into anything, do we?

But, since you're here......may as well look around, meet some of us and see what you think.

My theory? No one is really "HAPPY" they are smoking.......not in this day and age. You may not "want" to quit and you probably still think you "like" to smoke (most of us did). But you can't tell me you don't wish you could simply wake up one morning and be a non smoker?

Saving at least $6.00 a day and probably more?

No longer smelling?

No longer having to plan places you can go and places you can work and still smoke?

No longer wondering if every cold and every cough is something more serious because you smoke?

And then........there's that 20% increase in already expensive health insurance!!!!

So, why not go to some of our pages and read some of our blogs and even maybe message us. We are ordinary people ....JUST LIKE YOU..... who also once thought quitting was not for us. We are a community of quitters and we are all here for each other........and now......for you.

Welcome to EX!

ShawnP

When i joined this site, i didn't really want to quit. Dr's told me that i needed to cause of chronic sinus infections and bronchitis a few times a year.  I tend to do the opposite of what people want me to do. A little rebellious i guess LOL. I did smoke more after Dr's told me but when i discovered this site, i was borderline. I knew i needed to quit. I didnt want to have emphysema or cancer. At least if i quit, i might stand a chance against those. I read info on site and blogs and decided to try. i grew hungrier for more and more information to help me quit. That was 3 years ago and I am still quit. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Keep reading, there is a different life out here waiting for you!

jerrymc

I'm still here. 

They are requiring that we complete an online course.  They don't actually require you to quit.  I had already decided to quit anyway and have been using the patch.  It is just frustrating to me to be forced to use a particular program.  You have a wonderful community here and are all very nice and supportive.  I appreciate all of the thoughts.  I know what I need to do to quit and had already been working on it.  This isn't my first rodeo.  I quit for 10 years and then again for another year.  Different people need different motivations and help to quit.  Once we figure it out, it gets much easier to quit.  I know that some have said that you don't really miss smoking, that it is just the addiction.  I really did enjoy smoking.  Maybe not all of the time, but most of the time.  It just takes me until i have decided that it is really what I want to do, in order to quit.  It takes me a while to get there because, like I said, I enjoy it.  I quit cigaretts a long time ago.  When I started smoking again it was cigars.  I quit that for a year and went back to cigars again a couple of years ago.