cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Has anyone tried supplements?

jycraw
0 7 1,362

I have two particular supplements that was recommended at the last hypnosis class I attended. 

The first one is called Curbitrol (DL-Phenylalanine).  The bottle describes it as being "an amino acid which has been shown to naturally raise dopimine levels in the brain".  The directions say take two tablets a day with meals as a dietary supplement.

The second one is called LungLife (N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)).  It is described as an antioxidant amino acid and a precursor to the critical antioxidant glutathione. This supplement is to help detoxify cells by destroying and eliminating free radicals and other toxin hazards, improving cellular health.  The directions is also to take two a day as a dietary supplement.

I took them faithfully during the first few weeks of not smoking.  I don't know if my short (57 day) success because of the pills, or the hypnosis, or perhaps my resolve - but eventually - my brain overpowered my "quit" and I stopped taking them once I started smoking again.  Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about taking supplements such as these?

7 Comments
Jim133

I haven't heard of those specifically, but I have read that amino acid supplements can help with withhdrawal by increasing dopamine levels.

YoungAtHeart

My GP is against most supplements because they are unregulated.............he says they could grind up dog poop and put it inside a gel caplet and no one would ever know!If you want to increase the feel good chemicals in your brain, go for a brisk walk ----- works just as well and it's free!

jmho

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

jycraw

YUCk Nancy.  Funny you said something about dog poop...

My doctor is a chirstian and when he first started talking to me about quitting, he asked if I knew the bible verse,

(something like) a fool returns to his folly as a dog returns to its vomit.

He went into great detail about how gross a dog returning to his vomit was, made me picture it in my mind, and told me to think of dog vomit everytime I pick up a cigarette.

His intentions were to give me a visual of something disgusting and try to relate that disgusting thing to smoking.....it was a good intention.

YoungAtHeart

I think your doctor created the perfect analogy for what we are doing to our bodies every time we light a cigarette  I really hope you are doing the reading linked for you in responses to your previous blog, especially Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking."  You will probably be amazed at how much you don't know about what smoking does to our mind and body.  I believe the better educated you become, the higher your chance of success.

Be sure to ask for advice and support from us as you need it.  We all here want you to be successful!

Nancy

Qjuit 7/4/12

cderrick13

NAC is excellent for the lungs. My dad had pulmonary Fibrosis and they are now using NAC  for increased lung function.  The trick is that you needto take as much vitamin C or more with it.  So if you take 600mg of NAC, you'llneed 1000mg or more of C with it. I keep up on this research.  My dad passed away in 08 and itkeeps me thinking of him. The other vitamin I'm not so sure.I have heard of it but lack research.  

Don't worry about the dopamine, it will eventually level itself back to normal.  I recently was in dyer need to try to find something to hurry up and "fix me too.  Time is the best supplement, be patient, we're all riding together 🙂

cjlucky1

What is NAC?

jycraw

cjlicky1 - I think NAC is the acronym for the second supplement that I discussed in my blog ( LungLife (N-Acetyl-Cysteine ).

It is a supplement that I purchased from a hypnosis class I attended.