cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Happenings

Breakinchains
0 4 54

It's snowing AGAIN! We have had a record amount of snowfall for Minnesota so far, something like 44 inches, yes, nearly 4 feet! It has been hard to deal with, shoveling is hard on the back, and the heart, and with my A-Fib I can only do a little at a time.

School starts up again this coming Monday. Got to be ready for that. Taking full credit load to get financial aid. Courses are challenging and a few are very difficult. Also, trying to finish up one course from fall semester. I work on this course online, but the server has been down for two weeks and counting. If I don't get that done by Jan 16th, I get a failing grade for that course.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I wanted to point out that since I quit smoking, it has become MUCH EASIER to deal with  stress. I no longer hit that "panic button" that says "Oh my God what am I going to do!?" Now, this is more of what goes through my head.

1) stay calm- whatever it is, I'll deal with it

2) is this something I can control? If not, no worries.

3) if I can control it, what do I need to do to change it? Or what can I do to improve the situation, or take care of the problem?

You will find that once you have been quit for a while, the stress involved with life is far, far easier to deal with. Yes, you will still have bills to pay, and the rest of life's troubles to deal with, but eliminating smoking in and of itself makes the rest of it much more tolerable.

4 Comments
kenny3000

I really appreciate this entry.  I started back in school full time after an almost 20 year hiatus.  Most all of my studying was done with a cigarette in hand.  I still have about 10 days of winter break left, and it is very easy for me to fall into the fear of "Will I be able to study without cigarettes?"  I'm only on day 6 and things are progressing and I am developing awareness about what is stress vs what is imagined hysteria.  I am eager to see how I'll be able to solve life's troubles as they come, rather than being troubled by life, which always leads me to Marlboros.  Thanks for your insight!

Breakinchains

Having a smoke never did anything to solve a problem. Now, instead of standing around smoking and worrying, I have more time to take REAL, POSITIVE, ACTION toward solving problems. The difference is amazing!

kristin2013

i cant wait to feel that feeling..It sounds amazing in soo many ways! Ill be honest ...learning to live without cigs is like learning to live all over again! Everything i did revoloved around smoking! this gave me much needed encourage meant..cuz i feel like im losing my best friend..as wierd as that sounds but what i need to remind myself im getting rid of my worst enemy and welcoming a whole new life! Thanks again for the encouragement!! : )

Strudel

Great blog! So true about less stress!!

About the Author
I quit smoking on March 26th, 2009. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I quit because I began having health issues in my early 40's. I had a TIA and a stroke a few years ago. I work as a home delivery salesperson.