cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

HELLO-1

lynne31
0 9 24

HELLO, my name is Lynne, I'm a forever quitter and this time I just want to quit and stay quit. I've smoked for 43 yrs. and I'm starting to feel the effects. I have 7 grandchildren , 2 with special needs. I must succeed this time and never touch another.So having said that I officially quit on Monday 8/11/18 at 3:30 PM. I'm feeling pretty good, a few rough moments .I am so glad one of my patients told me about this site and the sucess she has had. I pray I will also . I won't go to my sister's to visit my 86 yr old mother because sister and brother in-law are both heavy smokers. I'm working it!!

9 Comments
Barbara145

Aw that is sad you won't visit your Mom.  It won't be too long on this site I think you will be able to.  I had been smoking and trying to quit for 52 years.  I am on day 307.  God's grace and this site and nicotine replacement are the reasons why.  I still come here everyday and at least read blogs. This site is amazing !  God bless you on this journey of a lifetime. 

Junior7

Welcome!  And congrats on your decision to quit!

Thomas3.20.2010

WELCOME!

READ the suggested readings:

quitsmokingonline.com

whyquit.com

The Easy Way by Allen Carr

and of course, right here!

We know how to be successful and we'll show you the way 

but you get to/have to make the journey!

LouiseR

Welcome Lynne.  The people on this site are fabulous. Come here daily and read and blog. We are all  here for you!

stmand92

Welcome and good luck. YOu will find a lot of information and support on this site. It's a good place to start.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community

The good news is that, if you are not using an NRT (nicotine replacement therapy), the nicotine is already out of your system!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. As well, you might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com.

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!"

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us here; ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

marilyn_marmac
  Hi Lynne! Welcome aboard! You will find education and attitude will be the key to your success. The educational links, the others provided as well as those I have listed, will help you find your smoking triggers — those things that make you want to smoke — and re-learn how to handle them without cigarettes. I understand that it will be a smoking trigger when you visit your mom..but life moves fast and time is short. Set it in your mind----This is   your personal journey. Tell yourself that you refuse to allow   their smoking to interfere with either your quit or visiting your mom!  

• Prepare yourself mentally. Your mind is a powerful tool. Use it! Believe in yourself. Don't allow yourself to think negative! If you allow yourself to think you are going to fail, you probably will. Put a solid "I'm Going to Win!" in your head. Write it down and tape signs everywhere to remind yourself that failure is not an option!
  •   
  • When you have an urge, do something! Don't allow yourself to continue to think about it or tell yourself that you want a cigarette. Tell yourself this is nicotine addiction raring it's ugly head and DON'T give in to it. The urge WILL PASS! Just fight it while it's there.
  •   
  • Make a 'quit kit' that contains a list of distraction techniques and things to help you through the urges. Add cinnamon sticks, crunchy things (carrots, celery, chips some hard candy, lots of water), lemons…biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer and taking a deep breath really does help you get through.
  •   
  • Take it 1 minute at a time! Those minutes will turn to hours and hours will soon turn to days. Before you know it, you will have a few months under your belt and will rarely even think of a cigarette.
  •   
  • Don't allow yourself to get hungry or thirsty! Drink a glass of water and eat a healthy snack if you feel an urge coming on.
  •   
  • Don't allow yourself to get overly tired. Your body will actually need more rest as it tries to heal itself from the addiction.
  •   
  • Beware feelings of anger or feeling lonely. Remember, you are not alone! Every member of this group has been exactly where you are and we will be here to help you in any way we can. If you feel that you are about to break, come to us FIRST!! Let us help you through it.
  •   
  • If you are having a hard time...reach out for support! Each person on this site started with a 1st day. We understand and can offer suggestions and motivation.

cheryl102

welcome, keep your eyes on god

JulieSw

Welcome Lynne, congrats on your decision to quit 🙂