Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Gross Question

connect2amy
0 11 6

Hi guys,

I'm five days quit so far! Since I quit I developed what I think is a cold, go figure...

This may be too much information, but I am coughing up brown stuff. I am assuming it is probably tar from smoking, and I've googled it and sort of scared myself with what I've come across.

Is this normal? Is it good or bad? Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks!

-Amy

11 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

some people do, some people don't.

If it's yellow, it's infection.

If there's no blood in there, I wouldn't be overly concerned but keep tabs so if you go to a dr. there is a timeline.

Congrats on 5 days

Thomas3.20.2010

Disclaimer:

All quitting is best done with a Doctor's supervision.

A lot of us have coughed up icky junk which most likely is cleansing your tar out of your lungs and respiratory system. However, a Doctor's consultation can not only assure you that this is true, it will give you Peace of Mind!

One thing's for sure, it motivates me to never touch another Sickerette again! YUCK!

connect2amy

Thanks! I'll make an appointment to talk to my doctor. It isn't yellow so I know it isn't an infection. Ugh, sorry to make you all read about my gross phlegm!

Puff-TM-Draggin

I think I'll put my lunch away 'til later now.

; )

connect2amy

Hahahaha! @puff, I have that effect on people!

TerrieQuit

Just in case, it would be wise to see the Doc, This early in your quit, it is probably your lungs cleansing themselves! But please be on the safe side!

Congratulations on 5 days!! WTG!!

Terrie  87  DOF

Barbara145

Sounds like healing to me.  Cough away and spit it all out.  Do not swallow it.  Get all that poison out of your body.  Our bodies start de-toxifying as soon as we quit and that is a beautiful thing!  Congrats on 5 days.  You are doing this.

tjanddj

Congratulations on 5 days. Sounds like the body detoxing to me too. The body is quite amazing at healing it self when we remove what it doesn't need and provide it with what it needs.

OldBones-Larry

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ....

I can't really tell you what the stuff looked like. I didn't get to cough it up. They suctioned it out in the ICU while I was there.

I do know it was not pretty.

connect2amy

Thanks for all the input everyone! I talked to the doctor and she said it is my lungs cleaning themselves out! The damage I've done is really starting to hit me. I've smoked for ten years and I am 28 so hopefully I am young enough where my body can repair, but just seeing all of that and realizing it was coating my lungs is terrifying. I really hope I stick with the quit this time. I'm a week in and so far so good. I'm using the patch and there have been a few times I've really wanted one. In those moments I try and let five minutes pass and it usually goes away. I've been eating a lot more, but my doctor said a couple extra pounds is a lot better than COPD or cancer. Oy vey...

bonnie-12-28-14

It's your cilium healing.  Mine took turns.  I coughed up a lot at first then a few days off then a few days on.  You are healing think of it like Barbara said get that nasty stuff out.

NOPE