cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Greeting Fellow Exers ( Hey Ya'll)

jawidge
0 13 0

I’ve been away and I‘ve missed you all!  I started my job with a new company in the middle of June, and they expect me to work!  Actually it is much better having work to do, as I am  on incentive pay  anyway, so I  should be better off in the long run possibly with  a little more money in my pocket.  Changing jobs is not something that I take lightly, and I hope I don’t have to do it again before I retire, if such a thing ever happens.   I’ve been away for a week for training, and now I hope to be settled in a bit for a while and hopefully have more time here with you guys .  I’ve really missed it.   But, that is not what I came to talk about.

I remain smoke free of course, and next month, my August quit buddies and I will reach the big year.  I am very confident that it will happen, as coming here is like insurance.  My  August quit buddies, Maggie and Laurie have been with me through thick and thin and have helped me maintain my quit. A lot of the time it is just knowing they are here, as it is with many many others here who come regularly to celebrate, counsel and continue to learn.  They will hit the big 365 before I will, but I know they will still be there when I cross the mark. Thanks you ladies, you are wonderful.   If there are any others celebrating in August, please chime in .

My journey to this point, is like many others, and it is earmarked with the essential components of a successful quit.  In a nutshell, it is a decision, a commitment to that decision, and maintenance.  There are other components, but without these three, you are like my Dad would have said (rest his soul)  You are just pi$$ing on a forest fire.  My dad passed away in the first 60 days of my quit.  Thank God the smoke had cleared enough that I knew that lighting up would not bring him back.  The loss of a loved one is no reason to continue killing yourself. 

In my earlier descriptions of the quit, I likened coming here to landing on a rocky shore.  I still go with that for the early quit.  There were many waiting on me to reach the shore and give me a helping hand, in a way that I could not help myself.  So with that help, I hacked my way through the jungles of the early quit, crossed the hostile landscape of No Mans Land, and I continue to walk, learn and put to good use the lessons of this quit.     In other words.  “How to Quit” is     “How To Do Most Anything” .  In other words,  I have to make a decision, commit to the decision and maintain the decision.      A million times we have heard “ simple but not easy” .  You know why?    Because it’s true. That’s why!!!  I think we just live in an age where we all want the results first, to see if that is what we really want.  Sorry, if you want the benefits of not smoking, then you can’t light another one up. 

I submit to anyone that takes the time to read this and has not quit yet,  I can promise you that if you start with the decision, it will be the best one you will ever make.  The freedom, the money saved, the new confidence, the peace of mind, the improved appearance and the improved health are just a few of the benefits.  You really  have to quit to learn the rest. 

I submit to anyone that has a little time under their belt, say, for example, you are just getting out of No Mans Land.  Pull that lesson out of your pocket.  ( Decide, Commit,  Maintain) and try it on something else.  You just may surprise yourself (and others).  It just could be that your quitting is a statement that you intend to live your life and live it deeply and fully with all your heart and soul. I mean live it well until your life is taken from you, because you are no longer giving your life away to cigarettes.  I think you will also find that if you go with the next project, and the next one and the next one, the thought of smoking just continues to fade and fade.

If I can help anyone in any way, please let me know, you all have helped me so much.   Luv Ya         Jawidge

13 Comments