cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Gratitude and Update

YoungAtHeart
0 19 70

I had a few hours yesterday to re-read my cards, messages on the Caring Bridge, and the wonderful booklet that Strudel put together for me (and it did take HOURS!)  I wanted to let you know how much it all meant to me.  I felt your arms around me, your love.  And, all your prayers WERE answered!

When I first got home, I could not stand up from a chair without help.  The rehab folks told my daughters I would not be able to come home and would have to move to assisted living.  My girls told them, "You don't know my Mom!"  I was blessed to have my younger daughter available to care for me in the early days, and she was an amazing caretaker.  She could not have been more kind, more patient, more loving.  I don't know what I did to deserve her!

Update from today. I have a PT coming twice a week to the house, and he has me doing thirty sit/stands without assistance!   I am walking six blocks by myself with only a cane, fixing my own food, hand washing dishes for three (my daughter and her boyfriend are here), doing my own wash, going up and downstairs at will, scrubbing bathrooms!!!  The only thing I'm not able to do is hang my wash outside (tough to carry laundy with a cane!!!).  I can't carry laundry upstairs yet - but I am forgetting to use my cane in the house most of the time (and lose it regularly!) - so that won't be long!!!  I have been given permission to go to the pool - although it's 65 (?) degree temperature doesn't make it too appealing right now!  Driving is not too far off in the future

I thank you, again, with all my heart for your caring and prayers. You truly made a difference.

Nancy

19 Comments
Jenn_06-03-14

You are doing wonderful! Thoughts and prayers headed your way for a speedy recovery!

Junior7

So glad you are doing so well!  We love you!

Jennifer-Quit

Souns like you are doing great!  That is wonderful news - you are so much help to everyone here and we appreciate you!

JonesCarpeDiem

very good.

Perhaps they will allow you to skype sometime in the future!

Giulia

Roller skating is next, right?!  You sound just great!  (You can always carry laundry in back pack if necessary.  Will get you in shape for your next hike.)  Can't wait for you to be driving again. 

nanawendy

After roller skating with Giulia, you can go skydiving with me. So glad that your recovery is going so well and you ar getting stronger every day.  Love ya, Nancy

jeanne-8-4-13

Sounds like you are doing terrific. Wish you a speddy recovery , I am so glad you had help, and they didn't have to move you into assited living. My daughter works in one and some of the tales she tells are just horrible! Good luck Nancy and God bless you!

JRC

Just thrilled to have you back!!!

Deena-A-Yenni

Recovery is wonderful news.  Thanks for your blog.

Newfound_Joy

Nancy, I am so happy to hear this GREAT NEWS!!  Your recovery is no different than quitting smoking.  You CAN if you say you CAN.  You are a true inspiration.  Praise God for the power of prayers!!

I just know you WILL keep getting stronger.

Thanks so much for this blog.  (((Hugs)))

msgardengirl320

So happy the recovery is going well & you are making such progress! I forget where you are located where the temp is as cool as 65, but here on the west coast of FL it has been 93, just perfect for you to swim in my pool; so ome on down!! Take care, friend.

Barbara145

You had me worried for awhile, but look at you now.  It is wonderful. Keep on Keepin' on. 

Strudel

Nancy - This is all such wonderful news! And - I am glad to know that you felt the love coming your way from this place while you were gone! It was very strong! And, you are very strong! I am so very thrilled that you are doing so well! Thank you for coming back here to continue your work! We missed you for sure! 

summer-07-06-15

Glad to hear you are doing much better.

Smile Glitter

SkyGirl

I'm so sorry I wasn't around to support you during your crisis!  As you may know, I was having medical issues of my own.  But we are both back in the saddle now, so look out, EX, here come the Dancing Nancys!  Well, okay...the Walking Nancys.  Doesn't have the same ring, does it?  Anyway, I'm so glad you are doing so well, although I think the kids should be washing your dishes, not the other way around.  After all, there will be plenty of your own dishes for you to wash after they have to leave.  You deserve all the pampering you can wring out of them before they leave, right?

I was thinking (uh-oh).  Do you have anything planned for tomorrow or Tuesday?  Like disco dancing lessons?  Or duck hunting?  Or skydiving with nanawendy?  If not, I have AN IDEA.  PM me, Nancy, and let's scheme together...

xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooo

moody_9-18-13

When you two Nancys are up to skydiving, please call me! 🙂

so happy to hear the cheer in your writings! 

Brenda_M

What a great update, Nancy! You are one incredible lady!

I hope that you and Sky tell us what you schemed! 😃

Ms.J_11-10-2013

We are just so glad you are back and feeling better!

xoxoxo

Jackie

louise-irene

Thank you for your inspiration.  I can only hope to get out of wheelchair and off of walker at home.  How did you do it?  Was it the right medical care?  Maybe I need a new physical therapist and home health care agency. Just a thought, but how much of a role did they play?

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.